Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - September 2013

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Sep 02, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) Michael wrote: "Besides The Pillars of the Earth what are you reading this month?

For me I will be reading Dexter's Final Cut, The Testament of Mary, The Mysteries of Udolpho, My Notorious Life, Longbourn and Gol..."

I have been having 'The Testament of Mary' on my TR for a while now, I really liked Colm Toíbíns books a lot so far. Curious to hear what you think.

On my list this month are: As I Lay Dying
The Hobbit
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Belly of Paris
and a collection of poetry by Seamus Heaney

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) Thanks for posting this, I just chuckled a bit to myself as I realized that - when writing a list of books that I want to read this year I had placed The Testament of Mary right next to The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee. I guess they'd make an interesting pair.

message 4: by M.L. (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:36AM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments So far, finishing A Room with a View by E.M. Forster very enjoyable. And started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I couldn't find two more opposite books if tried. Not quite sure after that.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) Flash Beagle wrote: "So far, finishing A Room with a View by E.M. Forster very enjoyable. And started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I couldn't find two more opposite books if tried. Not quite sure after that."

I'll be reading A Room with a View this month as well if I can squeeze it in. I know what you mean in terms of opposites, I just moved straight from 'As I Lay Dying' to 'The Hobbit'. My brain is slightly traumatized.

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) I'm reading Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth. I love it and will probably read more Wharton after I'm done. I just re-read all of Jane Austen before this. Since e-books over 100 years old are free on Kindle Amazon, I'm finally reading all the classics I've always meant to read.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim I've been very quiet the last few months. Have undertaken a large move once again. Drove halfway across the US. Slowed my reading down a lot. I'm trying to work more on my book challenge books.

Currently I'm reading Dracula and Undaunted Courage. I found the start of Dracula to be interesting but then really bogged down once I started reading Mina's chapters. Once I got through them I've started speeding up again.

I also really wanted to read about Lewis & Clark as we traveled along a lot of their trail through Missouri and part of Iowa as well as North Dakota and Montana.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Currently reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, my first Christopher Moore book. Sometimes really interesting; sometimes rather silly. Next in line is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. This is one I have never read.

message 9: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments I'm currently working on Lolita which I am finding interesting, but do find periodically that I just have to put it down for a break from the disturbing mind of Humbert. Which is maybe a little surprising because several years ago I read The End of Alice and don't recall having to take a break from it, but that does feature two different perspectives, so that may have provided all the break I needed. In between bursts of Lolita I'm working on Three Bags Full

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I am listening to Dracula on Audible and reading Jane Eyre.

message 11: by Franky (new)

Franky Finishing Deliverance, and then I'll try to pick up on the reading challenge books again.

message 12: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) I just started Ethan Frome. I am on an Edith Wharton binge.

message 13: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) After reading a few challenge books that have left me a bit disappointed, I've just started The Remains of the Day - I want this book to blow me away! Feels like forever since I read a book that I found total mesmerizing :(

message 14: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) Marcy wrote: "I just started Ethan Frome. I am on an Edith Wharton binge."

I love Edith Wharton Marcy, what are you reading at the moment?