Literary Exploration discussion

The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
This topic is about The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth > Final Thoughts *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Final thoughts

message 2: by Franky (last edited Sep 06, 2013 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Franky I was going to wait for others but, I'll just jump in, even though my opinion will probably be in the minority here. I read this book a few years ago and was underwhelmed and majorly disappointed with this read. I thought it was way over the top with violence, the story repetitive, and the characters were lacking. I thought the author focused on all the wrong things, and tried too hard to create a "modern" epic. Anyhow, just my take. Look forward to others' thoughts.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Above is my review.

Short version - it was very entertaining and fun to read, but it needed to be tightened up. Not great literature because the writing fell short; however, I thought there were very interesting characters and the action kept me reading when I should have gone to bed. Some of the women were very admirable, but it made me gloomy how often they were messed up by men and society.

I agree the author seemed to be pimping for an Epic Bestseller, which made the tale appear a little weighed down with consequence it did not feel entitled to, at least in my opinion.

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Hunt | 104 comments Love this book. The attention to detail is incredible and adds so many layers to this story.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

A great read. The characters are likeable, and the story moves along really well. I haven't seen the tv series yet, but intend to at a later date. My family says it's well worth the watching!