Literary Exploration discussion

The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
This topic is about The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth > First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
First Impressions

message 2: by Pip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pip Christopher wrote: "The book has been ordered and I am awaiting its delivery. I am wishing good luck to my postman in getting it through my letterbox."

LOL!!!

I read this novel years ago so won't be re-reading, but I'll look in from time to time and contribute to the discussion if I can.

In the meantime, for anyone who's interested in the historical background of Pillars (and real historical figures do play major roles), here are a couple of links from Wikipedia:

On King Stephen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen,...

On "The Anarchy" (the civil war between King Stephen and his cousin Matilda): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anarchy

message 3: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
I'm so excited about everyone reading this book. I loved it, so looking forward to what other people might say about it. I probably don't have time to re-read it myself, but hopefully i remember enough to contribute.

Sarah-Jane (sairjane) | 12 comments I promise no spoilers, have read this book a couple of times in the past, just pulled it off my shelf and flipped through. Both covers are pretty well-thumbed so I suspect it got stuffed into my handbag every day for a fortnight for commuter reading :-)

I do remember loving the book a great deal. Looking forward to reading others' thoughts.

message 5: by Vikki (last edited Sep 07, 2013 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vikki (vikki1) | 22 comments Like others I read this a couple of years ago and haven't got chance for such a huge re-read. Looking forward to seeing what others think of it as it is one of my favourite books. The sequel, World Without End, is very good as well and worth a read if you enjoy Pillars.
There was a TV show done based on the book that aired in the UK a couple of years ago, did anybody see it and what did they think? Personally I thought it was a good adaptation but think they oversexed it.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I read this awhile ago too. I thought it very entertaining.