~Young Adult Enthusiasts~ discussion

Flipped
This topic is about Flipped
Flipped > Narrators: Bryce and Juli

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Valencia (empowered) | 1777 comments Mod
This book really shows how two different people may view the same exact situation. What's your opinion on 1st person POV from two different characters? Did you enjoy the writing and personality from the two different points of view? What didn't you like about it?

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I really enjoy it. Somehow we get to know each characters backgrounds and what are their differences. It's nice to hear their thoughts too. :)

Day's (days_lee) | 7 comments The first person POV works really well. Juli's character unfolded slowly and we got to know her and like her more and more as Bryce did. I kept chuckling whenever Bryce came up with a plan to make Juli unlike him. It's exactly what little boys do.

message 4: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha yeah that's true that's why it's so very believable.

Jenelle I enjoyed both perspectives, and thought the first person worked really well. I liked how it illustrated that you just can't really know what someone else is thinking (like when Juli ripped her pants and was so sure Bryce had noticed... but he hadn't).

I also liked the different "voices" and how Juli was far more likely to tell you every line of a conversation while Bryce would just let us know the gist: "I tried to apologize." Seemed very accurate to how a guy or girl would view the situation.

I thought at first that the author struggled a bit to get "into" Juli's head... the first chapters make Bryce feel much more developed. However, as the story goes along, Juli's character really started to shine through. By the end of the book, I was wondering if that "flip" was also intentional... that more of the beginning of the book was with Bryce being the stronger voice, and then Juli's being the stronger voice and more developed as a character by the end... or if the author just had a harder time getting inside Juli's character.

Thoughts?

message 6: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think that's because Juli had a lot more self discovery going on in the book than Bryce did.

Jenelle Valencia wrote: "I think that's because Juli had a lot more self discovery going on in the book than Bryce did."

Yeah, that makes sense, too.