Reading the Classics discussion

Archives > Illustrated Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raevyn (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:15PM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 5 comments What do you think of them? I, personally, know some people who despise them, but I think they're okay, especially to those not ready for 'wouldnae' and 'thou hast...'

message 2: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 627 comments I remember enjoyed some abridged adaptations when I was a kid, though I wouldn't read them now. Just preference I guess.

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth White I will not read anything that is abridged but I do have a couple of those great big illustrated annotated editions that are unabridged.

message 4: by Raevyn (last edited Sep 07, 2013 04:19AM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 5 comments Do you mean the kind with footnotes? Those work, too. :)

message 5: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth White Yes the ones with all the notes and stuff explaining the text. I have a Hans Christian Anderson Book of Fairy Tales version like that and Dracula.

message 6: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 627 comments I think they are really nice with collections, such as fairy tales or short stories like Sherlock Holmes. Especially with notes.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I generally prefer my books without pictures, but if I come across a couple of novels with elaborate chapter headings or full-page illustrations, I don't mind. I do not like abridged versions of novels though, as I always feel that I am missing something of the original text, and therefore the author's initial message.

The Classics Campaign (classicscampaign) | 2 comments Hey Fellow Illustration Lovers, check out these cool new posters we're sending to public libraries across America. http://igg.me/at/classicscampaign
Get a poster today and we'll send one to the public library of your choice for free! Become a campaigner; support literacy, and promote reading & great books in your community!