Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-09 - Debut Novels - Post September Reviews here

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8579 comments Mod
What are your thoughts on these Debut Novels you've read this month?

Which author/s should we be keeping an eye out for?

ps: apologies for my silence lately - August has been a very busy month with moving job & home. I could probably count on one hand the number of books I read. Problem is I haven't got internet connection in our new home just yet so I'll be quiet for the next month or so. It's a newly built home so cabling or wiring or something is not quite done yet (or so I think hubby said, ha ha ha). This doesn't stop you guys from reading & chatting amongs yourselves though (as if it would anyway!) ;) Look forward to catching up soon! Cheers!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2812 comments Mod
Wow, Tien. That would drive me nuts, not having the wiring finished. Congrats on the new house and job, though.

I will try my best to keep things going and people discussing.

Along with your reviews, don't forget to post your debut quotes here.

message 3: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments I kicked off with Tell the Wolves I'm Home I loved it. Unputdownable. This story had me in tears.

I thought that it was very well written, and I'm not saying that just because it was a debut novel. Refreshing to see things from the point of view of a 14yo who, while in some aspects mature for her age (e.g. how she took care of her sister who had passed out from drinking in the woods), was also very much a young teenager (e.g. how she reacted to her first kiss).

A definite read.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Hi Niamh! I enjoyed your review and added this book to my TR shelf. I noticed though that some readers have listed the genre as historical fiction. It just struck me as funny since the book is set in 1987 and some people would consider this as historical.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I've heard lots of good things about Tell the Wolves I'm Home and have it on my TBR. Definitely will move it up!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2812 comments Mod
Same here. I have been meaning to get to this book for a while. Glad you liked it Niamh. :)

message 7: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments Historical fiction? Wow. I didn't know that I was old enough to be regulated to the historical brigade just because I remember the 80s. lol.

It wasn't a book that I had heard about before looking at this month's shelf pick list but I'm glad that I saw it there. There seems to be a lot that I would class as YA that are in there from reading the synopses but only time will tell once I get reading them.

message 8: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments I found City of Women on this list- two people have shelved it as such. I couldn't put it down- it is set in Berlin during the war,and I thought both the characters and the situations they were in were very real and thought-provoking.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I read Shatter Me and I enjoyed it. It is a fun YA read. Sometimes, I did laugh at some of the way she described things like Adam's eyes (which she did a lot), but overall if you take it for what it is a YA paranormal/dystopic romance and not think to much about it... you may agree with me that it was fun.

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Just my luck...I've read two books that I know are for a fact are debut novels...but they are not on the shelf.

The search continues!

message 11: by Karen (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:30AM) (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) The Hypnotist 2*. Despite it's size, 600 pages, this was a very quick read but it was disappointing. The story felt disjointed, don't know if that is down to the writing or the translation. Also the characters were really unlikable, didn't care if they all made it to the end of the book.

message 12: by Biondy (new)

Biondy I just finished with The Age of Miracles and I really enjoyed it. You can see my review here

I wanted to read Tell the Wolves I'm home as well, but maybe not this month :|

message 13: by D.G. (last edited Sep 13, 2013 04:15AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I finished One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1) by Monica Murphy and gave it 3 stars. It wasn't the worse New Adult out there but it was the 'hit reader over the head with plot' type, which I don't like so much. Not sure if I'll continue reading the series.

message 14: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments I read Sister. I really liked this one. Not one of the run of the mill mystery books and it kept me guessing right to the end.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 46 comments I read 'Letters from Skye' by Jessica Brockmole...well, what can I say. This book left me in tears in the most wonderful way. Two stories intertwined, the emotion of war, memories and a love that spans all the travels of life.
I did not want the book nor the feelings I was experiencing to end. If this is indicative of what Jessica's mind is capable of producing, then we are truly in for further delicious treats.

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I read Poison Study. I gave this book 5*. Yelena, Valek, Ari, and Janco were believable characters, and the story was filled with action and intrigue. And, of course, I like magic, which also made an appearance in this story. I will eagerly look for the next in the series.

message 17: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1621 comments Lisa wrote: "I read 'Letters from Skye' by Jessica Brockmole...well, what can I say. This book left me in tears in the most wonderful way. Two stories intertwined, the emotion of war, memories and a love that s..."

I'm glad to hear it was so good ... I just pulled it out of the library pile last night to start it this morning!

message 18: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1621 comments I finished A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. 5 star! It is hard to believe this is a debut novel. I will be looking for his future books. The story is set over 10 years (1994-2004) in Chechnya and follows the story of several people in a small village. Heartbreaking, amazing, and all about the power of love in wartime.

message 19: by Susan (last edited Sep 15, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Susan | 3439 comments Mod
I finished Cinder, and loved it! 4 stars. It was new & refreshing, and didn't feel like a rehash of all the other young adult dystopias out there. I'm WAY behind on writing my book reviews, so thought I shouldn't wait for that to happen before I post this.

I also read Shatter Me earlier in the month, and found it disappointing. I'm wavering between giving it a 2 and a 3. The writing really is very poor, and that got in the way of the story for me. The characters redeemed it a little bit, and I haven't decided whether to read later books in the series to see what happens to them.

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have been seeing so many great reviews about Cinder. It may need to move up on my TBR.

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1621 comments I read Letters from Skye for this too, like Lisa. Epistolary format, which I always enjoy. Stories of mother and daughter intertwined set in WWI and WWII; love stories told by letters, fairy tale and poetry. 4+ stars from me.

message 22: by Tara (last edited Sep 16, 2013 10:37AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I ended up fitting another book in for the month.
I read Throne of Glass and what an amazing book it was! 5 stars.
Publisher's Weekly hit it on the nose when they noted that this book has the political intrigue that reader's loved in the Graceling series, combined with the deadly competition from The Hunger Games. Usually when I see books compared so strongly to other books I read (and loved), I am a little skeptical that I will like the book as much as the books it is compared too. I read the book constantly comparing the plot and characters. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I have had two nights of very limited sleep due to this one.

message 23: by Susan (new)

I also read The Compound, and discovered it's the author's first adult novel, which got someone to list it on our shelf. I didn't like it a lot, but it was slightly better than just ok. 3 stars. My review here .

message 24: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments I've landed the trifecta this month. I read Throne of Glass. A really good read. Review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I realized that a book I was reading for another group was on the shelf.
I read Born at Midnight and although it took me a while to get into the story, I found that I ended up liking the book and will probably read more of the books in the series.

message 26: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8579 comments Mod
Niamh wrote: "I've landed the trifecta this month. I read Throne of Glass. A really good read. Review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

This was one that I really couldn't get into. I finished the book but it's really just not for me. It was the love triangle angle that really tick me off here... just ugh!

It's probably not the best reason not to like a book but I probably would have said on my review that this is just a really personal issue for me and really, reading is such a subjective emotional experience that whatever your personal experience is, it will reflect on what you read & your thoughts on your reads.

message 27: by Tara (last edited Sep 27, 2013 09:16AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Yeah, love triangles in YA books are annoying. I just finished another book for the month. The Nightmare Affair. I loved it, but the ole love triangle showed up in it as well. It reminded me a little of the Harry Potter books, although I don't think the world or characters were as complex.
I did not hate love triangle in Throne of Glass as much as other books though. It lied beneath the surface a bit. At least I did not notice Celeana agonizing over it as much as other characters.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 46 comments I also read 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' to see if if there were any similarities to 'Letters from Sky' as many of the reviews indicated...there were but 'Letters from Sky' was more richly written and an extremely emotional experience for me. Where as 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' was just an enjoyable read.

message 29: by Susan (new)

I finally got a review written for Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, which I did finish in September. My review here .

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I read The Reluctant Fundamentalist and gave it 4*. I loved the first person narration style of the writing and got very involved with the back story that was being told as well as trying to figure out the current interaction between the American and the Pakistani. I really enjoyed this book!