YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > September's Group Read - Paper Towns by John Green

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Please join us this month in reading Paper Towns by John Green!

Paper Towns by John Green

Synopsis: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer Q gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

You don't have to participate in the Group Read - it's entirely up to you, but if you read the book along with us or have already read it, we would love to hear your comments, questions, thoughts, ect. That's what makes the Group Read fun! Please keep from posting too many spoilers early in the month, though, as people might still be reading it. If you feel that you might "spoil" a part of the book by commenting, be sure to put something like "***Spoiler Alert***" or something to let others know to read at their own risk! And make sure to have fun!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I can hopefully read this :)

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Just finished Paper Towns and I absolutely loved it. I had never read anything by John Green before, but consider me a fan, for sure, after this.

I was surprised by the laugh out loud humor, as well as the deeper, more philosophical and metaphorical writing. I really wasn't expecting it.

This book definitely touched on who we are as people, how we view each other and how we view ourselves. It was both bittersweet and thought provoking.

I really enjoyed this book.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Glad you liked it, Heidi! Paper Towns was also the first book I read by John Green. I enjoyed it, too, but I just didn't find it as compelling as some of this other work.

I'd definitely recommend you read some of his other work, too! ^.^

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Thanks, Brittany! I've heard that it wasn't his best book, so it definitely makes me want to check out his other stuff. I'm dying to read The Fault in Our Stars but it is never at the library! It's always checked out and has a zillion holds. I'm trying to be good and not buy any more books since my house is filled with so many already, but I'm going to grab any John Green books I see next time I'm at the library!

Brittany wrote: "Glad you liked it, Heidi! Paper Towns was also the first book I read by John Green. I enjoyed it, too, but I just didn't find it as compelling as some of this other work.

I'd definitely recommend..."

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Heidi wrote: "Thanks, Brittany! I've heard that it wasn't his best book, so it definitely makes me want to check out his other stuff. I'm dying to read The Fault in Our Stars but it is never at the library! ..."

I know what you mean! I live in a town with a relatively small library and thy were always checked out! Luckily my friends are book nerds like I am, so we swap books the others want to read.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria This is one of my all time favourite books. I really liked the way that the it was divided in three parts, each one different and each one with a metaphor of life. The book is funny, but deep and I enjoyed every single page of it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Paper Towns (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Green (other topics)