What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > the making of a villain

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Hello!
I'm looking for books that focuses what made an ordinary person to commit a serious crime and/or to became a villain. Circumstances? Upbringing? Revenge? Personality disorder? Self defense? Surviving?

Something like The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Revenge by Stephen Fry Hamlet by William Shakespeare Out by Natsuo Kirino

Please don't recommend books that have attitude s/he is bad because they're evil.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Not sure if its what youre looking for but The Silence of the Lambs has Hannibal Lecter and in the sequelHannibalit goes into how he became what he is. I guess Red Dragon could also apply but for another character.

Also the Tony Hill series wich starts withThe Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid you Always gets the murderers/villains viewpoint and how they turned out that way.

If Tomorrow Comes about a woman who becomes a con-artist to take revenge on the persons who set her up and sent her to jail.She not really a villain per se though.

Marnie I havent read this book (yet!) myself but it could fit the request.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Thérèse

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:57PM) (new)

Perlmann's Silence

The protagonist of this book, someone who is not by any stretch of the imagination bad or evil, (view spoiler) His planning for the murder, and his thought processes throughout, are fascinating.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Hangover Square.
One of the most wonderfully creepy books I've ever read.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Depths

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Hum, not sure if this one qualifies or not, but Villains by Necessity might qualify. It's all from the pov of the "evil monsters" as the rest of their world views them. Warning--it is high fantasy.

message 11: by Feliks (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:20AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The Gormenghast Novels
One of literature's best villains is of this stripe.

Staying Out of Hell
a personal fave.

In Cold Blood
Can't omit this one.

A Separate Peace
fits the bill.

The Spire
Free Fall
Lord of the Flies
Golding always deals with these issues.

Notes from Underground
Crime and Punishment
Doyesteovsky, a favorite theme

My Cousin Rachel
DuMaurier

The Stranger
Camus

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The Emperor's Children"

Lobstergirl you can edit your posts to include all your book suggestions :)

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks a lot!

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1135 comments Felice Landry in Julian May's novels The Many-Colored Land, The Golden Torc, and The Nonborn King.

The Countess in Paul Park's A Princess of Roumania.

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 14 comments Wicked is good for that, it has a fantasy spin of course, but still. Elphaba gets me every time

message 16: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments I just finished an awesome book where ordinary people get superpowers and they ALL turn in to super-villains and do take over the world! It's was great how it explained why they were all bad guys and the only heroes were the people who stayed ordinary but fought back. Check out Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

message 20: by Khoragos (new)

Khoragos | 4 comments This is a different angle, but Robert Silverberg's The Second Trip is an interesting take on "criminality" and self-control...the protagonist(?) is a frankly artificial personality imposed upon the brain & body of a genius who was also a psychopath, as a judicial penalty. The issues of the story are pretty clear from that setup, which only spoils the back cover.

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 16, 2013 04:58PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
One of the stories that Randall Garrett wrote for his Lord Darcy series has a secondary character who also has that kind of penalty imposed on him. But in the Lord Darcy series, magic is real, and the Church places it on the man, since to them the problem is that he has no soul--I think. And he's given a "minder" who makes the choice about when/where he can unleash his "demon." There are anthologies?? where several books are all published together for Garrett. You might like his writing. He did tell a good story.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks! :D

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The Collector"

Thanks, that's one of my favourites. :)

message 27: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thank you :)

message 29: by itchy (last edited Jun 01, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

itchy (amadeusitchon) | 9 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Not sure if its what youre looking for but The Silence of the Lambs has Hannibal Lecter and in the sequelHannibalit goes into how he became what he is. I guess Red D..."

Hannibal Rising should do it for lecter's origins

message 30: by Hillary (new)

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott (view spoiler), a story by Joe Hill.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Magus

message 34: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess (ladykyuuketsuki) | 4 comments A light, fluffy, fantasy iteration might be The Cruel Prince

message 36: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Tigana. I started out hating the bad guy and ended up really feeling for him. :) And I don't usually do that.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Eileen

message 38: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)