Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > book being pirated

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments Hey guys not sure if I'm in the right section. I've come across several sites that allow you to download books without paying for them. Anyone else come across this? For indie authors how do you stop it from happening?

Thanks

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy H (twinypa) What sites? I no a couple of them have already been shut down

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments http://ebookfantasy.blogspot.com/2013...

Readbreed.com

That's just a view that I constantly see

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy H (twinypa) Wow I can't believe they haven't shut them down yet. That is horrible!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments It is and it's like one shuts down and two more pop up in its place

message 6: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I ran across one the other day. It had specific instructions on how to post so that search engines could not reveal the presence of new books to the authors or publishers. I noticed that many of the links were not true, they actually linked to sites that installed malware.

L.J (Lisa Jane) (ljsecretaddiction) There are thousands of sites out there - it's like downloading music files. Unfortunately you will never stop them all. Best way is to protect YOUR book somehow (I don't know how as I am not a writer).

message 8: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Lisa wrote: "There are thousands of sites out there - it's like downloading music files. Unfortunately you will never stop them all. Best way is to protect YOUR book somehow (I don't know how as I am not a writ..."
The best way is to ignore them. Most people are honest and will pay the writer. Karma will always come back to you, good or bad.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) (ladyvigilante) Stan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "There are thousands of sites out there - it's like downloading music files. Unfortunately you will never stop them all. Best way is to protect YOUR book somehow (I don't know how as I ..."

Well said Stan!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments Thanks guys it's just frustrating sometimes

message 11: by Helena (new)

Helena Newbury (helenanewburyauthor) I've dealt with this a few times in the past so I'll pass on what I know.

There are two sorts of sites. Legitimate sites that let their users upload anything (which sometimes includes pirated content - the equivalent of YouTube) and pirate sites that pretty much only host pirated content.

Legitimate sites - like Scribd.com - will have a DMCA takedown form on the site (or at least an email address to send a takedown notice to). You find your book on their site, send them a takedown notice and the book disappears within a day or two. It's annoying - sometimes you find a book there and it's had thousands of views. But the people reading for free wouldn't necessarily have paid for it so it's not necessarily that number of lost sales. Still monumentally annoying, though. All you can do is search for your books on the big sites when you have the time - say once a month or once a week.

The pirate sites are more of a problem because they won't necessarily take down content and, as you've pointed out, it can be harder to find it.

There are companies who will do the work of searching for your work for you, and allow you to issue the takedown notices with one click, but they charge a monthly fee. Only you can say whether it's worth it or not.

In terms of stopping your books getting up there - you can't. Adding DRM to your ebooks seems pretty pointless when it can easily broken - you're just adding an annoyance for the reader. It only takes one reader to upload a file. Of course, it's your call.

If you send out ARCs you can watermark them and then, if they turn up on a pirate site before release, you know how uploaded it and know not to work with that blogger again. Of course, the vast majority of bloggers would never do something like this, so I'm not suggesting you get paranoid about it. Again, only you can make that call depending on how early you send out your ARCs, how many you send out, etc. etc.

Hope that helps.

message 12: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 54 comments Helena wrote: "I've dealt with this a few times in the past so I'll pass on what I know."

Good to know. And I'll agree on the DRM part--it's like the 5 minutes of "piracy is evil" you have to wade through when you buy a DVD, whereas if you just get an illegal video copy through whatever site, it won't be a bother. DRM mainly annoy the honest buyers, all the while being very easy to remove for whoever is just a little software-savvy. In other words: totally useless.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments Yeah, I get the idea of DRM and why its available cause authors don't want their books out there for free. I think though that sometimes its good to embrace a little piracy every now and then as long as it doesnt get out of hand. I think also if you can spin it to your advantage then whats the real harm?

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments Yea I understand it's going to happen. In the age of technology anything is possible. It just gets annoying.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments I understand that and I mean I'm not saying to embrace piracy with open arms but rather take some good from it while you know it's happening or try and work it in your favor and then try and shut the whole thing down. If you can't stop it right away try to see if you can ride the wave for a bit.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Banks | 53 comments I did in the beginning and now it's just a bunch of new sites it gets tiring

message 17: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 18 comments you cannot stop it. The music industry has long known they need to sell peripherals around their bands and musicians. Any ebook can be stolen and any book can me photocopied and people will d/l and read them. Though reading a photocopy to me would be as awful as looking at a cam of a movie.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (_afkbookworm_) There are thousands of websites, there is not way to stop it because thee will always be people who are willing to type out the book and then let people read it online. I've seen it. Some do have the author's permission though because some authors let the 1st book in the series online to get you hooked then suddenly you won't be able to find the second book so you end up buying them, it's a selling tactic.

Ty to protect your book and report illegal/pirate websites whenever possible then at least you can help with the problem.