New York Times Bestsellers List discussion

The Light Between Oceans
This topic is about The Light Between Oceans
Current Monthly Read > The Light Between Oceeans {September 2013}

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cherene (new) - added it

Cherene A question to get you started.

Discuss the title. Why do you think the title might be significant to the novel?

thewanderingjew | 3 comments In addition to the fact that the lighthouse is at the confluence of two oceans, i think the title also represents the paths the characters chose to follow.
If oceans can also metaphorically be lives, it is then about the effect of those choices on themselves and others.
Perhaps the lighthouse represents the before and after in the lives of Tom and Izzy Bella. The before the child and then after it. The moment in time when the momentous decision was made can be the point where those two metaphoric oceans meet and their lives lit up.

message 3: by Anima (new) - added it

Anima Miejska I was hoping to read this book last month, but got stuck with other reads, so I have great hopes this month :)

I was thinking about this title when I first saw it some time ago. I still don't have a good idea about its meaning, the only explanation that comes to my mind so far is connected to the journey from one place to another, and the light as a compass not to get lost, but this is pretty literal for my tastes :)

message 4: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie I also planned to read this one a little early and now I'm thinking that I might be a little late. lol I'm still hoping to get to it towards the end of this month though.

I hadn't really thought about the title. I saw the lighthouse on the cover and knew the general setting of the book, so I never really gave it another thought. I suppose it could be much more symbolic though. The light could represent some kind of knowledge (the lightbulb going on type thing) and the oceans could be their life before and after?? I'm not really sure. I may have a better idea after reading the book. :)

message 5: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie I still haven't gotten to this one. I'm hoping to read it before the end of the month, but I'm back in school and have very little time.

thewanderingjew | 3 comments Kristie wrote: "I still haven't gotten to this one. I'm hoping to read it before the end of the month, but I'm back in school and have very little time."

Why don't you download the audio from the library and listen while you travel from place to place? It will make use of empty time.

message 7: by Kristie (last edited Sep 11, 2013 10:46AM) (new) - added it

Kristie thewanderingjew wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I still haven't gotten to this one. I'm hoping to read it before the end of the month, but I'm back in school and have very little time."

Why don't you download the audio from the library and listen while you travel from place to place? It will make use of empty time. "

I do listen to audios in the car. I'm listening to The Last Original Wife now (would not recommend that one on audio.) and I have The Passage waiting to go. :) I think I have as many audio books waiting to go as I do physical or Kindle books. I find that I can only listen to them while driving. If I'm doing anything else, I forget to listen.

Did you listen to this one on audio? If so, what did you think of that version?

Suzanne | 1 comments The story raises many questions about right and wrong, and the human heart's capacity for love and forgiveness. The characters are just regular folks who have to live with the consequences of their decisions in a world that is, after all, never fair. However, there is a 'light' or positive from every decision one makes. In the end, maybe both families are given some sort of positive whether it is was for a short time or not.