Ruin (Ruin, #1) Ruin discussion

Prologue issue

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daniella I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a part explaining it) later in the book, waiting for something to happen to Kierstin...why is he saying "Come back to me...Not like this, Kierstin. Not like this, baby"? What am I missing???

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a part explaining it) later in the book, waiting fo..."

Hey guys! ;) You aren't the first to ask about the prologue--when I was in the editing state, I really struggled with addressing it when it took place or just leaving it as was. Technically the prologue was a nightmare that Kiersten had the night before Wes's surgery. Because I've had a lot of readers ask about this, It is going to be fixed so that the reader sees it within the timeline....sorry about the confusion! I hope you still enjoyed the story ;)

Daniella Thank you Rachel for clarifying that. I loved the book, the storyline was great and I just love the way you write, love the fact that I can both laugh out loud and cry while reading a book. I'm about to start reading The Bet...

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Daniella wrote: "Thank you Rachel for clarifying that. I loved the book, the storyline was great and I just love the way you write, love the fact that I can both laugh out loud and cry while reading a book. I'm abo..."

Anytime! I'm always here...I think I live on my computer ;) And thank you so much! The Bet has a totally different feel than Ruin--Hope you enjoy it!

message 5: by *P (new) - rated it 5 stars

*P I agree the prologue was enticing but I loved the writing and the story so much that I wasn't bothered by it. Interestingly, one of the persons I recommended it to is preparing herself because she feels she knows how it is going to end based on the prologue. I am wondering how she will view the ending based on her assumption. I am hoping she loves it as much as I did.

Jess Truthfully, I forgot about it and I guess once the story was happening and I was involved...I didn't think much about it. I could see though how some would be confused.

Betty I thought that the prologue was a dream (nightmare)... thanks for the confirmation. I felt that there were clues to this throughout the book because of her reoccurring bad dreams.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Thanks everyone ;)

Daniella Thanks guys, nice to know I'm not the only one that reacted. Didn't spoil the experience for me though, still loved the book. I'll probably read it again if it gets fixed...

✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝ Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a part explaining it) later in the book, waiting fo..."

Same here!!!!! Am so lost! I have few questions besides the prologue! So many missing answers! Hope the author will answer it!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a part explaining it) later in the..."

Hi Daisy, what's your question? I'll try to answer if I can ;) Also, I have decided to do two more books in this series. Gabe needs to get his story told and I'm hoping that by doing his book I'll also be able to answer more questions with Wes/Kierstens relationship ;)

message 12: by ✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝ (last edited Sep 05, 2013 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝ Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a part explaining it..."

Yay!!!!! ILY!!! Please two more books, am dying for my answers!! These were my questions in my review:

1. Where does that prologue link?
2. When Wes did actually discover his cancer?
3. Well, Wes's mum passed on but how did Nurse Angela and his mum linked?
4. Did K managed to banish her night terrors?
5. What was bimbo's intention by framing Wes with that accusation? How the hell he meet her?

Thanks R! :)

Daniella YAY!!! Can't wait for the next two books!

Sleepy Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a par..."

Yea I actually had the same question about the whole scandal and how that wad relevant to the story. But I love you as an author and I love your books. Well be reading the next 2 book in this series:)

Kimberly Daniella wrote: "Thank you Rachel for clarifying that. I loved the book, the storyline was great and I just love the way you write, love the fact that I can both laugh out loud and cry while reading a book. I'm abo..."

The Bet was one a great story! Loved the characters, and the story pulls you in from the beginning. Hope you like it I did.

message 16: by Betty (last edited Sep 06, 2013 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Betty Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a par..."

Well, I think I might be able to help a little with #3 (everyone please correct me if I'm wrong), but nurse Angela is actually his mom, because she's his guardian angel... re-read her messages/advice to him and then fast forward and re-read the message in the ring that HIS dad originally had inscribe in her wedding ring. Nurse Angela = mom ;) Plus... remember where he's talking to her, but no one else saw her in the room and then the other nurse comes in to take him to surgery...

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or at least a par..."

Thanks for the questions Daisy and thanks for answering one of them Betty!! ;)
The prologue takes place the night before Wes's surgery...I didn't feel it necessary to add in when Wes discoverered he had cancer because I really wanted to focus on the relationship between him and Kiersten. I found myself trying to throw on Wes's shoes for a bit, he was a total future focused guy so I couldn't imagine him really going back to when he found out about the cancer because when he did have flashbacks about his mom or even about his brother they were always brief b/c he was such a positive person...does that makes sense? It probably would have added another great element to the story though and thats actually something Im doing a bit different with Gabes story....And Daisy is correct, Angela was actually Wes's mom sent to help him as a guardian angel, its why she had the ring on ;)
We never discover if Kiersten banished those crazy night terrors---another element that as you read the book you start to see, whenever she felt secure and safe or protected she usually did okay, mainly whenever she was in Wes's arms b/c he offered her something she hadn't had in a really long time. It was never because of her medication though *puts on old shrink hat* anti-deppresants can have some similar side effects..mainly anti-psychotics..:)
And bimbo Aka Lorelei was a friend of the family, he talks about it briefly to Kiersten--I brought Wes's relationship with L into the story not to confuse people or add random information but to show readers Wes's character...it was never about what happened between them but how he reacted to what happened....Everything about Wes's character was formed around his outlook on life...:)

I hope I answered all the questions you guys had!!! Im sorry I didn't get on here sooner but I spent the afternoon with my uncle ;)

Thanks again for all the support with Ruin I really really REALLY appreciate it and am having a blast writing Gabes story, Toxic :)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or ..."

Oh and PS please forgive the mis-spelled words I was typing ridiculously fast lol

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog OMG Rachel!!
Someone asked my friend about that and so she asked me and I was right!!!!!
I figured it was Kiersten dreaming in the hospital when Wes is there for his surgery!!!
So cool. :)

message 20: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Chavis How exciting more books to come from Ruin!! I love this book and thanks for clearing up the prologue question we seemed to all have!!:) I was a little disappointed there wasn't an epilogue about their wedding and babies but hopefully we will get to live through all that in Gabe's story.....Right??!

Janell Wheeler Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or ..."

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer your fans questions. I had wondered about the prologue and my friend figured out it was a dream, but the fact that you took your time to answer for your fans is really great. I love your books and I look forward to all of them. Thank you again you are fantastic.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Beth wrote: "How exciting more books to come from Ruin!! I love this book and thanks for clearing up the prologue question we seemed to all have!!:) I was a little disappointed there wasn't an epilogue about th..."

lol wedding and babies=awesome...I think Wes and Kiersten need children...;) We will see plenty of them in Gabes story, promise ;)

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken I'll always try to respond, promise...I love talking books...it's an addiction, obsession, problem...however you wanna look at it ;) I'm glad you guys are excited about the other books---please let me know if you ever have any questions, you can always email me too rachelvandykenauthor@gmail.com...or message me on facebook..I'm on there like its my life...wow another addiction how many does that make? Two? How many vices are we allowed in life?

Tiffany I loved this book so much!! I started it last night, read until I couldn't keep my eyes open and then started it as soon as I woke up this morning!!! I'll be recommending it to all of my reading friends and family! I too hoped for an epilogue. But am thrilled to see that we will see more of Wes, Kiersten, Gabe and Lisa in Gabes book! Thank you for clarifying the prologue, that was a question I had, as well as Lorelei's part in the story! Do you have any idea of a timeline of when we might be able to expect to see Toxic?

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Tiffany wrote: "I loved this book so much!! I started it last night, read until I couldn't keep my eyes open and then started it as soon as I woke up this morning!!! I'll be recommending it to all of my reading fr..."

Thanks Tiffany!!! :) I'll be posting the Epilogue on my Facebook page once it reaches 5500 likes so be looking for that this next week ;) Also, I'm hoping I can finish Toxic within the next month so I can hand it over to my publisher and have a closer release date...I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I know...I'm not "allowed" to do duplicate releases b/c I can't compete with myself, I know weird contract rules...so it won't be this year because I have books releasing every month through December, but my hope is that I can have a release as soon as Jan/Feb ;) Hope that helps!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Extended EPILOGUE for Ruin is now live ;)

http://rachelvandykenauthor.com/ruin-...

Sleepy Just read it thanks Rachel for the link. I loved it. Now I really really can't wait for Toxic. What is Gabe's story???!!

message 28: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Thank for posting that! I will be reading Ruin very soon so I've book marked this link :)

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Sleepy wrote: "Just read it thanks Rachel for the link. I loved it. Now I really really can't wait for Toxic. What is Gabe's story???!!"

I can't explain without giving it away....;)

Betty Loved the extended epilogue!!! And the innocence officially goes down the drain... brilliant!!! Can't wait to read Gabe's story. :)

Amanda Such teasing Rachel, great can't wait for more, thank you

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Glad you guys enjoyed it! :)

Erika Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Daniella wrote: "I'm confused... Loved the book but the prologue had me waiting for something else... I was waiting to come upon the same text again (or ..."

I loved Wes, I thought he was an amazing guy. I can't wait to read Gabe's story. I love a tatted tough guy. I also love that he was rated off the charts in bed. Yum

Patricia "I was keeping Gabe in a cage alright, because I knew the minute someone found out who he was it would be game over. And I wasn’t sure Gabe would come out the winner. No, in his current state—he’d be done and I’d have no one to blame for myself."

This as you must know is part of your extended epilogue :) ....is it me that got lost at some point? because I don't know what you are talking about.. other than his womanizer self and drugs user... I don't know what it is about...sorry!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Patricia wrote: ""I was keeping Gabe in a cage alright, because I knew the minute someone found out who he was it would be game over. And I wasn’t sure Gabe would come out the winner. No, in his current state—he’d ..."

You're not supposed to know what it's about yet...only I do ;) I would insert an evil laugh here but thats just mean....I'm just dangling the carrot a bit...Gabe has a crazy past and I'm writing his story right now. :)

Rachel I loved this book! Im so excited you are doing two more! :)

Christal Loved 'Ruin' & loved the epilogue!!! Awesome read...can't wait for Gabe's story :)
Great work, Friend (RVD)! All the loves <3

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken C. wrote: "Loved 'Ruin' & loved the epilogue!!! Awesome read...can't wait for Gabe's story :)
Great work, Friend (RVD)! All the loves <3"

THANK YOU! :)

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dyken Rachel wrote: "I loved this book! Im so excited you are doing two more! :)"

Thank you so much...I'm excited too..Im trying to write my pants off (yes yes I know that sounds awkward) so I can hurry up and get Gabe's story out ;)

Daphney Thank God for an Epilogue. That ending left me hanging and wanting for more Wes and kiersten!;)) i love them :))

message 41: by Janani (last edited Nov 30, 2013 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janani THE best book ever!
I LOVED the way she had to put her faith in him, her renewed hope, her fall, her love, her commitment.

I LOVED his badass turned good guy attitude, his thirst to live, his renewed hope, his love, his restraints, his love, his life.

I LOVED the writing. The facts were slowly revealed bit by bit than just dropping it like a bomb on the readers.

I LOVED the way the dialogues and the feelings were worded.

I LOVED the words of wisdom and heartfelt dialogues.

I LOVED EVRY bit of it!
Thsanku Rachel for writing such an amazing book
and thank you for the epilogue.

When will Gabe's story be released?
What is it called?