Books2Movies Club discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
Monthly Reads > Rebecca on the Screen

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2839 comments Mod
Rebecca 1940.Rebecca 1962.Rebecca 1979.Rebecca 1997

Rebecca inspired many adaptations. The most famous one is of course Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca from 1940, starring Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson; but I wouldn't so easily dismiss the other adaptations that followed his steps. There are three more adaptations that seem worthy of our attention. The dates of production and their stars are as follows:
1962 - James Mason, Joan Hackett, Nina Foch
1979 - Jeremy Brett, Joanna David, Anna Massey
1997 - Charles Dance, Diana Rigg, Geraldine James.

If you have seen any other movie or series based on this book, feel free to comment it! Here you may comment any film adaptation of the book, and compare it to the book as well. Of course, take care of spoilers! The book itself please discuss in the book section .

message 2: by Bart (new)

Bart Cline (lordrocco) | 2 comments I've only seen the Hitchcock version of Rebecca. It was really good, but for some reason my wife thought it was scary. I didn't think it was scary. What do you think?

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Dina0221) | 28 comments I think it was classic Hitchcock. Full of mystery and suspense and some are scared by his movies . I for one don't like the movie birds by him. Will not watch it. However , I thought Rebecca was awesome and kept me on my toes. I loved it

message 4: by Bart (new)

Bart Cline (lordrocco) | 2 comments I guess the dark and brooding atmosphere was what did it. And as you say the mystery and suspense. It's one of my favourite Hitchcock movies anyway.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Dina0221) | 28 comments I concur .. It is an awesome movie

Jaime | 5 comments I just saw this movie the other day for the first time...have not yet read the book, so I didn't know what was going to happen. I LOVED the movie...it was really suspensful. Since it was Hitchcock, I was waiting for something to scare me. I agree with Ashley...it was awesome!

message 7: by Elena (last edited Oct 06, 2013 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena | 109 comments I saw the movie a few times - it is excellent, but the book is definitely better - more details, seems creepier, etc ...
However, a few aspects of the movie were different from the book. Mostly the difference is in the details, so it wasn't a big deal, however a huge change revolved around (view spoiler)

message 8: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 24 comments Oh wow! I never read the book, tho I saw the movie many years ago 2 or 3 times. So I didn't know he actually shot her, the movie definitely doesn't even suggest that, at least I never would've guessed it. That changes everything!

Elena | 109 comments Marcy wrote: "Oh wow! I never read the book, tho I saw the movie many years ago 2 or 3 times. So I didn't know he actually shot her, the movie definitely doesn't even suggest that, at least I never would've guessed it. That changes everything! "

That changes everything - i thought so too! It seemed really strange how in the novel this was never really addressed - Maxim remains the good guy... it was a little weird...

message 10: by Zeljka (last edited Jun 12, 2021 02:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I watched recently the 2020 Rebecca, with Lily James and Armie Hammer.

The only other I saw was 1940 Hitchcock's version, and I still think it is immensely good, and with changing a major point of the book, Maxim's level of guilt, it remained a classic people still like to watch.

The new version, a bit modernized, was not so suspenseful and the characters were not so intriguing. They tried. Kristin Scott-Thomas was great, but not so menacing as Judith Anderson. Mrs de Winter was confusing as a character - at times she appeared more knowledgeable, and at the others so meek and subordinate. Maybe the frenzy at the end did a trick why I ultimately didn't like the movie (and the book after all) - they showed de Winters as they really were - one was undoubtedly a murderer and the other a willing accessory in crime. I was shocked at the level of determination of Mrs de Winter to conceal the evidence that at the time appeared to be condemning. It felt so wrong, and I really couldn't make myself to sympathize with them.

JanetE | 4 comments The 1979 Jeremy Brett/Joanna David/Anna Massey version is superlative! It is true to the book (Maxim really does murder Rebecca yet the viewer sympathizes with him as Jeremy Brett's Maxim is genteel, haunted, hurting, and handsome). Joanna David portrays a wonderful version of Mrs. De Winter #2 -- you can see why this Maxim and this #2 need each other. Anna Massey is a very convincing Mrs. Danvers. Highly recommended.

JanetE wrote: "The 1979 Jeremy Brett/Joanna David/Anna Massey version is superlative! It is true to the book (Maxim really does murder Rebecca yet the viewer sympathizes with him..."

Thanks for the recommendation! I couldn't find it at the time, but I'll try harder. Interesting that Anna Massey was a narrator of the Rebecca audiobook I listened, and her voice was really amazing :)

JanetE | 4 comments It is on YouTube ....enjoy : )

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 14 comments I did not see the latest James/Hammer version, but saw the other three. I think the Brett/David version was the best, though I
An interesting side note is that the Mrs. Danvers - Anna Massey - was Brett's first wife. They were long divorced, but apparently there was some tension at the time regarding what Massey thought was an inappropriate birthday gift for their son - gave some oomph to the performances.
The Mason/Hackett version was a 1 hr TV show, too short, largely miscast, though I thought Hackett was pretty good.