Doomsday preppers discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 39 comments Mod
Food is next at number 3 on my list. Some people can last a few monthes without it, but most only a few weeks. Having a renewable source of food is essential for survival when the world shuts down.

message 2: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (cheshireassassyn) | 27 comments Mod
Knowing what wild edibles exist in your area, and how to properly identify and distinguish them from imposters is a good idea.
Especially, since nature will care for the supply for you, mostly.

message 3: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 39 comments Mod
One thing I want to bring up is that you can't always depend on hunting after the world ends, because everyone else will be doing the same, therfore, disrupting the natural food chain.

message 4: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (cheshireassassyn) | 27 comments Mod
I didn't say exclusively. It does seem people rely too heavily on stockpiles. They don't look at what will happen when those piles run dry or if they get raided. When I say "wild edibles" I am not limiting to common types. Many edibles could remain available to you due to lack of knowledge of others. Kudzu, for example, is not something that is well known as an edible plant, yet grows invasively in my area.
Sticking exclusively to any one thing is not a recipe for success.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Maybe one can ask an indigenous group to help you learn what plants are good for eating.

message 6: by Pebbles (new)

Pebbles | 51 comments Problem is that most of that type of info died out during the 1800's

message 7: by Feliks (last edited Sep 03, 2016 11:15PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments I don't think too much about food; I will be forced to eat only what I can carry which won't be much. My stocks are small; as I know I'll be traveling. I'll have to eat what I can pillage along the way; I'm sure (in some scenarios) I'll have a very long trek out of the NYC area. There's only one direction to go, really: the Adirondacks--high ground. Meh. Not enthusiastic about trying to 'hunt game' in the middle of an exodus of millions of frantic people. I'll probably wind up stealing food on the sly until I get farther north to do some fishing.

message 8: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 2 comments I think knowing how to hunt with a variety of weapons and fish are very important. I also think knowing about plant life is important also. Biologists at local colleges and really good field guides can help with identifying plants. I tend to check several sources before I try a plant I haven't worked with before because sometimes one source will list a poisonous variety with a similar look that another source hasn't listed. I am very careful not to use anything that might be poisonous.

Another thing that I have been checking into lately is growing heritage crops. I can save the seeds each year and drying the vegetables provides me with a lighter weight to carry and the ability to store food without having to worry about the electric going off.

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments Aye. Most preppers are big into self-dehydrated foods; they also can and preserve foods themselves.

As for wholesale/bulk purchases the Honeyville company is a very well-recommended purveyor:
http://shop.honeyville.com/products/f...