Doomsday preppers discussion

Friends will become Enemies

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye | 39 comments Mod
I know it sounds kind of harsh, but look at it this way, if the economy collapses and the stores are empty, the grid is down which makes running water stop. And say you were not preppared, wouldn't you do what is necessary to keep yourself and your family alive?

message 2: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado Shoot our group has a list of who goes first in our area, so yeah I'm on board.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hide. And if unfriendly people threaten the lives my family I'd do anything to defend them. Maybe learn martial arts?

message 4: by Ember Skye (new)

Amanda wrote: "Hide. And if unfriendly people threaten the lives my family I'd do anything to defend them. Maybe learn martial arts?"

A good form of self defense Is Krav maga, from what I know, that is one of the most effective forms of self defense

message 5: by Hamna (new)

Hamna Choudhry (booklovercom) | 3 comments Jason-

Isnt that a type of street fighting?

message 6: by Hamna (new)

Hamna Choudhry (booklovercom) | 3 comments *street fighting?

message 7: by Ember Skye (new)

Rainpelt wrote: "Meeeh, I actually don't care about my real family...
I only care for some people but they live in other countries or are from school.

The ones from school, we would stick together and do anything ..."

That is one thing I'm worried about, all my friends on the internet, that I only talk to through the internet. If things go bad, I might never hear from you guys again :(

message 8: by Ember Skye (new)

Hamna wrote: "Jason-

Isnt that a type of street fighting?"

Yeah it is, it's a pretty violent, and most fights using it only last a few seconds, because you try to injure your opponent as much as you can as quick as you can, then you run.

message 9: by Feliks (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:29PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments Ember wrote: "if the economy collapses and the stores are empty, the grid is down which makes running water stop..."

You wait it out. This country has enormous resources. Right now, they aren't distributed efficiently or wisely, and we're living in a precarious state of capitalist-driven imbalance. So whatever happens, just hold on and ride it out. After the necessary shake-up, services will resume. Hopefully, they will be administered much more sensibly than they are now.

Ember wrote: "I know it sounds kind of harsh, but look at it this way....say you were not prepared, wouldn't you do what is necessary to keep yourself and your family alive?..."

There's nothing harsh about protecting your loved ones; in fact during a crisis that should be the primary goal of all of us. That is both natural and noble. What is harsh is any kind of thinking which states "I must survive at all costs regardless of what happens to anyone else". No. You would like to survive yes--most of us would--but when there are women and children in your group..even if they are strangers, you save them first, not yourself.

Ember wrote: "Yeah it is, it's a pretty violent, and most fights using it only last a few seconds, because you try to injure your opponent as much as you can as quick as you can, then you run...."

All street fights only last a few seconds; whoever is bigger usually wins; whoever gets the first punch in usually wins. But no matter who wins--no matter what technique--you should always race away after a fight because there could be fallouts or comebacks.

Krav Maga is not actually street fighting; its dojo martial arts from Israel which they say is (in part) 'based on' street fighting (among other things)...but, it really isn't. Remember that dojo-taught techniques have no resemblance to street fighting no matter what they say (cough cough group-think cough cough).

Anyway, when a disaster hits, its too late to learn Krav Maga. Its more important simply to be in shape. Keep fit. Be able to take punishment or hardship and bounce back. Be fast and strong. It doesn't matter what martial arts your opponent wields--if you're in top condition, he won't find it easy to get around you no matter what he does.

Just my 2 cents

Dzerzh

p.s. sorry, I know I have a sort of 'flat', unequivocal, and 'arbitrary' way of writing my thoughts out in these little white boxes

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Pischke | 4 comments The veneer of civilization is pretty thin. I’m from Canada and we had a ten day power outage due to a storm that shut down everything within a hundred miles. I live out in the bush and make sure we’re stocked up with necessities. I saw people in stores hoarding food with no concern about leaving anything for others and made a point of remembering them.
Learning any martial art takes time and practice while few of them are effective against a person who’s spent time on the streets. Knives and guns work well but also require training to be effective. I agree that staying in shape is of utmost importance along with constant awareness of your surroundings and body language of people near you.

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee Pischke | 4 comments People who you think are your friends may surprise you when things go sideways. Only tell them what they need to know and be prepared for the worst if times get tough. If you’re gonna depend on someone you need to be able to trust them. Don’t tell anyone you’re a prepper or have supplies. Don’t be afraid to test someone’s loyalty in a tight spot it could save your life. Martial arts won’t help against three or four armed guys who want your stuff, an AK will.....

message 12: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments Hi Lee

I know lots of people speculate along these lines ...but, I gotta (respectfully) disagree with it. I believe instead that over-paranoia, lack of restraint, giving in to suspicions and panic ... will isolate one quicker than anything. And 'isolated strays' --persons away from the group --perish the fastest.

Norman Mailer's great WWII novel, 'The Naked and the Dead' elaborates on this theme. You can't survive without trust and community.

It also comes up in Psych 101 classes, 'survival scenarios' are common early classroom exercises for Psych majors.

Its true that martial arts is useless though, I agree with that.

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Pischke | 4 comments I would definitely prefer to work with a group of people in a survival situation as apposed to going it alone. My concern is being with the right people. Anyone who is overly paranoid or considered untrustworthy or unstable will be shunned in short order.

message 14: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments Yep. I think that's the way it usually falls out. If you can't be relied on, if you exhibit anti-social symptoms ...you'll get left behind. Gives off the wrong vibes.

A (fictional guy who was like this: Paul Lazarro in Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse-Five'.

message 15: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 31 comments I think the principle is that people will take a risk for you based on the good feelings you've shared between you --call it love or friendship or camraderie --but when the chips are down, they won't go out of their way for you out (at risk to themselves) from motives of fear or (much less) coercion. You can't *insist* someone help carry you out of a swamp, they must want to do so, out of goodwill you've cultivated with them.

Erich Maria Remarque describes this in 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. He says this is the only reason men stayed in those mud trenches.