This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate words you speak.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2008 09:55AM) (new)

If you misuse the word 'ironically' I'm going to kill you (& ironically, I know that I'm the primary offender you know & I hate the fact that you noticed!)

message 2: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) How 'bout hating people who leave you voice mail and talk so fucking fast that you can't understand more than ten words and none of them successively? Who knows if they are grammatically correct, or have the right usage of words... because you can't make out ANYTHING THAT THEY ARE SAYING! Yes, I am yelling now... I should go smoke and calm down.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I talk to a lot of senior citizens in the course of my day Amy, & I couldn't be more sympathetic to what a great problem this must be for people of your generation.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

When I hear "I literally died" I like to respond with "a part of me just did when you used such trite & tired phrasing".

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Okay, the one that makes me want to commit violent acts is "It's to die for!" There's not much I would die for, certainly not a slice of pizza or some good pasta!

Steve...are you calling me old? Aren't you older than me? You certainly look older than me...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

"Steve...are you calling me old?"
-Only in the ears.

"Aren't you older than me?"
-Hell if I know, your fear of internet stalking has obviously precluded you from posting your age on your profile.

"You certainly look older than me..."
-OMFG! That's the exact same thing I said to your mom last night! Oh, and by the way.. I hate her too!!!

message 7: by Vanessa (last edited Feb 03, 2008 05:14PM) (new)

Vanessa I hate your stupid slang: "Yo Dog! It's chill - keep it real!" is going to sound as effing cool as "Sit on it, Potsie!" in a few years time.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate people who don't realize they've become old when they talk s*** about the young kids' slang.

message 9: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I hate how New Age people always talk in a soft voice, as if they are speaking to someone on a ledge who is liable to jump any moment. Nothing can make me feel violent so quickly as people who are emphasizing with their tone how fucking non-violent they are.

Also, I hate how Steve's picture is mostly a giant coffee cup, showing only one side of his face, which looks like it *may perhaps* be handsome... but just as easily could be horribly disfigured like the Phantom of the Opera. It's as if he's so above vanity that he doesn't care that he's good looking. Or maybe he thinks we're going to judge him because he's too pretty and so we will assume he's actually stupid. I hate people who are above vanity. Especially good looking people who pretend they don't care. yeah, I totally hate that.

message 10: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Steve, you are in fact older than me. And my mother said to tell you that she hates you too and that last night was a bitter disappointment.

Sarah, HA! Thank you!! Crazy fast talking bastard!!

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I hate people who try to make you feel as ancient and shriveled up as Methusalah's nutsack because you don't like the way youngsters speak nowadays - but not as much as I hate old crones and geezers who try to be hip and spracken ze whippersnapper.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy- Better get yourself a calendar toots. I got with your mom on Sat night (posted 2.3.08), I guess last night was your "dad's" turn! She must've been bummed!

message 13: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) My dad's dead...dick!

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Okay, nothing like resurrecting an Ancient thread, but yesterday I got:

Kindiegarten...KindIEgarten...hello!!! Over and over again in the same conversation, it was all I could do not to scream and hang up the phone.

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I would be forced to perform anonymous practical jokes on her without ceasing! Paste on her chair, laxatives in her coffee, tacks and staples stuck in the lining of her overcoat...It would be mandatory to punish her!

message 16: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I hate "whatever". It just lays there. I wonder what came before it and what comes after it. You cannot just leave a word like that lay there. It has to be saying something. "Whatever" says absolutely nothing. I have to admit that I use it occasionally, but I hate it when I do.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments amy, sarah. I'm confuse now... whats the correct word????

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) those wacky Nazis... always trying to grow a good batch of Aryan clones in their 'garten'. So much we have to thank them for.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments charissa... did you just turn the word kindergarten in to a nazi breading pool??? kudos...

message 20: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) what can I say, I sent my daughter to Waldorf school. I've had plenty of opportunity to contemplate the meaning of 'kindergarten' at this point.

message 21: by Hertzan (last edited Mar 15, 2008 03:42AM) (new)

Hertzan Chimera (hertzanchimera) "So, he turned round to me and says..." I mean, what the fuck is wrong with that? Are you habitually talking to the back of people's heads for that phrase to work.

He turns round to me and says!

the other one that KILLS me is "then" in the phrase, "I is more importanter then you!"

or "Nucular" - you hear this from The Military all the time. Nucular!

shellyindallas Vanessa-- you're hilarious

Charissa--I fucking hate those new age soft talkers! You're right, their tone suggest they're afraid I might blow up at any minute--which makes me want to blow up right in their face--literally!

Amy--Kindiegarten's a good one. On that, I hate ValentiMes day.

I also hate people who replace cuss words with silly words like fudge, or poot, or dag nam it, or whatever. It's the exact same fucking sentiment, so what's the diff?

I also had people who abbreviate everything they say, like diff. (I know this has come up before)

message 23: by Amanda (last edited Mar 15, 2008 06:29AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Oh, Shelly, how can you live without abbreviating??? It's my fav. Not a fan of acronyms, but abbreviations--I love 'em!

My three favorites:
Whatev
None ya
Bullsh

I wholeheartedly agree with you on your Valentimes point, though. And "irregardless." (Did someone mention that one already, and I missed it?)

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) "or "Nucular" - you hear this from The Military all the time. Nucular!

Mike, that is one of the things I hate most about when George Bush speaks (and there are so many things to choose from). Someone should really school him on pronouncing that word correctly. It's embarrassing.

message 25: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) Annoys the hell out of me, too, but he knows how to pronounce it. It's part of his regular-guy riff, and possibly meant to taunt everybody that thinks being smart is of value. Same kind of thing as when he and the rest of them say "Democrat congress"; they're refusing to use a word with positive associations to refer to the enemy. It's political use of language.

But we say "the internets" now for similar reasons.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Howard, do you really think he knows how to pronounce it correctly? I'm just curious because that would mean he's had me fooled for 8 years.
Oh well, to quote George Bush himself, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice (pause) you ain't never gonna fool me again."

message 27: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) I'm pretty certain. The guy went to Yale. He spends time with educated people. He's heard other people say it, and I'm sure he's noticed the spelling. He might have grown up hearing it that way, though I doubt it, but even if he did, he knows.

Good quote, btw. I'd forgotten that one.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) It looks like I misquoted Bush before. Found this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEzmNX...

I had forgotten about the gynecologists not being able to practice love with the women of the nation.

message 29: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) It's almost aggressive stupidity. As if he's bludgeoning us with it.

(Fan of Steve Martin's Pointy Bird, here. Your handle made me laugh.)

message 30: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Oh pointy Bird
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy Nointy.

(Steve Martin)

message 31: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Howard,

"I'm pretty certain. The guy went to Yale. He spends time with educated people. He's heard other people say it, and I'm sure he's noticed the spelling. He might have grown up hearing it that way, though I doubt it, but even if he did, he knows."

He also went to UT Austin (have a friend, well, the wife of a friend who worked on campus) and he was a C student. How much of that C do you suppose was because of WHO he was, more than how intelligent he was? They give C grades to athletes all the time so that they will remain elligible (screw you if I spelled that wrong, I'm too tired to spell check! :) to play sports. How much more so do you think they would do the same for the son of George Bush? Add to that the amount of school work he may have "purchased" and / or copied? I'm not saying he did, but it is done all the time after all, so very, very available.

Let's further add to that the fact that my friend has certainly heard me use the word Kindergarten, and I am more than sure I have never said "Kindiegarten", yet she still cannot seem to pronounce it properly. I am pretty sure she has heard others pronounce it correctly over the years as well.

Having said that, I'm not so convinced that ol Georgie understands that there is a difference between Nuclear and Nucular...sad, but true.

I had to explain to my brother just the other day that there is a difference between Perspective and Prospective when he used the wrong one on a college paper! He gets A's, but I edit every paper he turns in (with the aid of spell check...yes!), I'm pretty sure he'd be lucky to get C's if left to his own devices.

message 32: by Howard (new)

Howard (howardmittelmark) All good points.

Amy, it seems to me that a political creature like GWB would on some level be sensitive to things like how the people around him sound, but maybe I'm giving him too much credit. I'm not thinking of this as an intellectual issue; more like a glad-handing issue. Someone like him, I think he'd almost instinctively mirror those around him.

But maybe I'm also overestimating the college culture that surrounded him. You certainly could be right. Also, I'm probably more comfortable despising him if I think that there's agency there, consciously manipulative choices, than if he was just some well-meaning dunderhead stumbling along as best he can.

Anyway, here's an op-ed piece from Gail Collins about how badly he mangled a recent speech.

http://tinyurl.com/2hk5u5

message 33: by shellyindallas (last edited Mar 16, 2008 02:10PM) (new)

shellyindallas Amy - I'm pretty sure W. never went to UT. His brother did, his brother's kids did, his wife did, Jenna did. But W. He got his BA from Yale and his MBA from Harvard.

He was born in the Northeast, and he went to college in the Northeast. So I say, let them have him!

message 34: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, as I said, wife of a friend in Austin...maybe she mistook the brother. But, it was when he was running the first time and she was completely against his ever being president...I still think he's just D.U.M. dumb, rather than purposeful in it. After 8 years, if he were smart and doing it on purpose he would have figured out that it wasn't working for him.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.