Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

tips on writing from a guys pov?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wayan i'm trying to have a go from writing in a guys POV for my story but i don't think i'm doing to well since most of my characters are normally girls.
does any one have any tips?

Mojoboy31 Do you know what a character sketch is?

Kristen I'm not really an expert, but maybe try reading different stories from a guys POV. Particularly if they were written by a guy. Also maybe read some nonfiction stuff by male authors - articles, blogs, reviews, etc.

Wayan Mojoboy31 wrote: "Do you know what a character sketch is?"

ah yes i was meant to do that
but still i think i'll struggle with writing from a guys pov but i'll give it another shot thanks

Wayan Kristen wrote: "I'm not really an expert, but maybe try reading different stories from a guys POV. Particularly if they were written by a guy. Also maybe read some nonfiction stuff by male authors - articles, blog..."

i did try recently i've read the 5th wave (which was amazing) it had some written in a guys pov but most of it was to do with guns and different sections in the base so it was pretty hard to pick up some tips.
also that seems like a good idea, reading the articles and stuff, thanks for the tips!

Italia8989 Writing from a guy's POV can be tricky. You want them to be sentimental without being girly, but you also want them to be macho without being unidentifiable. The question is whether your guy is not narrating like in "Harry Potter" (this would be considered third person), or if he is like in "Percy Jackson" (this is first person).
To help you out better I would need more information on your story. But in the meantime, you should definitely put more guy characters in there to even things out a bit. If it is hard to put yourself in a guy's shoes, then take someone who is a guy whom you know well and use him as an example to write your story. Depending on your plot and theme, including what the character has experienced, all of that will determine his personality. Add all of that in with a dash of immature humor and you are good to go.
I hope I helped!

Wayan Italia8989 wrote: "Writing from a guy's POV can be tricky. You want them to be sentimental without being girly, but you also want them to be macho without being unidentifiable. The question is whether your guy is not..."

yes thank you that helped a lot!
mine's in first person
i will make a character profile that might help
but his character is quite complicated because he's easy going but his parents have passed away, he's kind and independent but finds it hard to say what he means and tell others what wrong but he wants to protect those close to him.
this is a link to my story if you want to take a look
but he only comes in, in the second chapter.
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

thank you again that was really helpful ^___^

Mojoboy31 Here's a good, short article about how to write a character sketch.

http://www.scribendi.com/advice/how_t...

Getting to know your character; ie, goals, hopes, likes, dislikes, personality traits, etc are all helpful for getting into your character's head.

Another tip to writing a guy is go cliche. Stereotypes exist for a reason after all.
Example: Four from Divergent. He's the tough guy with a heart of gold hidden under his cold exterior. Like that description doesn't fit a thousand other characters.

Wayan Mojoboy31 wrote: "Here's a good, short article about how to write a character sketch.

Getting to know your character; ie, goals, hopes, likes..."

ohhh thank you!
i made a character profile http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

i'll have a look
thank you!

Mojoboy31 Wayan wrote: "Mojoboy31 wrote: "Here's a good, short article about how to write a character sketch.

Getting to know your character; ie, g..."

You're welcome. I checked out your profile. Looks like a good start.

Wayan Mojoboy31 wrote: "Wayan wrote: "Mojoboy31 wrote: "Here's a good, short article about how to write a character sketch.

Getting to know your ch..."

thank you ^___^

message 12: by Mary (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Well guys tend to not rely so much on small details. If a guy was on a subway he would notice the most noticeable things like everyone would but he wouldn't dwell on the way someones hair shone a different color in the lights like a girl would unless it was really eye catching

Italia8989 Wayan wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "Writing from a guy's POV can be tricky. You want them to be sentimental without being girly, but you also want them to be macho without being unidentifiable. The question is whet..."

You're welcome! I will check your story out soon. Personally, I am not a fan of character profiles. I do think they are handy in getting to know your characters' likes/dislikes. The reason I do not like them is because I feel like REAL people are more deep than a profile and have many sides to them. That is just my take, though. They may work out better for you, and obviously you can do whichever you prefer.

Wayan Italia8989 wrote: "Wayan wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "Writing from a guy's POV can be tricky. You want them to be sentimental without being girly, but you also want them to be macho without being unidentifiable. The qu..."

okay thanks!
yh i get what you mean about the character profile thing:)

Mojoboy31 @Mary: Yeah, and a guy wouldn't notice what kind of shoes people wear either. But if you're talking about what guys do notice, it's girls, lol.

message 16: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy I think that if you can, go around places with a notebook and listen in to people's (in this case, men or boys) conversations. This is called people watching and is very useful if you want to inject a sense of reality and normalcy to your story.
Parks, schools, shopping centres or cinemas are my personal favourite places to go because you get a general sense of excitement or purpose in the conversation that they're having.

Jot down their mannerisms, topic (or theme) of conversation, how they say things and what they're saying as well as body language, accents, how the group interacts with each other or anything else that you think may be important. It doesn't have to be an essay but write just enough information down so that you won't go, "Huh??" when you look at it later.
This should give you the confidence that you're writing in a convincing male voice and tone. You can either pick and choose a couple of the conversations, tweak them if necessary depending on your character's personalities, and paste them directly into your story or use it to study the language, tone and words that the men in your area use.

It's also worth thinking about reading some writing guides. You might find some to be useful.
Hope this helped. :)

Wayan Izzy wrote: "I think that if you can, go around places with a notebook and listen in to people's (in this case, men or boys) conversations. This is called people watching and is very useful if you want to injec..."

yes thank you it's helped a lot!:)

Italia8989 Wayan wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "Wayan wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "Writing from a guy's POV can be tricky. You want them to be sentimental without being girly, but you also want them to be macho without being uni..."

You're welcome again! I am no Shakespeare or anything, but I like to throw my own personal advice out there. I will comment on your story when I get a chance.