Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Saga, Vol. 2
This topic is about Saga, Vol. 2
Group Monthly Discussions > Official 21st Book Club Discussion: Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan - September 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone. This is the topic for our Official 21st Book Club Discussion, which is Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of September.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our official book club discussion everyone.

Mike | 289 comments I thought this felt different from the first volume, but liked it just as much. A little more character driven and focused on fleshing out the individual threads a bit. The Will and Prince Robot are both interesting and formidable opponents and the exploration of clashing cultures is nicely explored as Alana deals with Marko's family.

My full review of volume 2.

message 3: by Ronyell (last edited Sep 02, 2013 02:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments I really enjoyed this volume as much as the first volume! As Mike pointed out, I loved the fact that this volume was more character focused, especially on Alana's relationship with Marko's parents. I especially loved seeing the Will and Prince Robot come back in this volume and they are even more dangerous than they ever were before.

message 4: by Austin (last edited Sep 02, 2013 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Austin Adkins | 35 comments SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer, but that just made his death even more tragic. And that last issue with prince robot and the author is so great! Reminds of that first scene in Inglorious Bastards. BKV knows how to write a cliffhanger. Can't wait for vol 3

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Austin wrote: "SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer, but that just made his death even more tragic. And tha..."

I agree about the issue with Prince Robot meeting the author! It really opened up the mysteries surrounding Alana's favorite author and it would be interesting to see how the author will have a huge impact on the war itself.

Mike | 289 comments Austin wrote: "SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer ..."

Agree on both points. The Prince Robot stuff at the end was fantastic and Alana's stuff with Marko's dad wonderfully done. I especially liked the exchange about "my father-in-law is a seamstress?"

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Mike wrote: "Austin wrote: "SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer ..."

Agree on both points. The Prince R..."

LOL!!! Loved that part too!!!

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments I'm curious if Prince Robot is going to come around to being sympathetic to Alana and Marko's cause. On the one hand, they've shown him to be a ruthless bad guy. But on the other hand they've also shown that he has been damaged by his experiences in war, and has a baby on the way. I'm wondering if he just might end up having a soft spot for the two of them trying to protect their family.

Anyway what I love best about this series is the characters and the fact that I have NO IDEA where it will go next!

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Peter wrote: "I'm curious if Prince Robot is going to come around to being sympathetic to Alana and Marko's cause. On the one hand, they've shown him to be a ruthless bad guy. But on the other hand they've also ..."

I've wondered about Prince Robot also. It would be interesting if he eventually helped Alana and Marko out with getting Hazel to a safe place, but it would also be interesting if Prince Robot tried to kill Marko and Alana for the purpose of the war. I would definitely love to see more of Prince Robot in the future volumes and what his true motives really are.

message 10: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (runawaybastard) | 39 comments What I'm really looking forward to is how the bounty hunter would make Hazel call him as one of the most evil beings she's ever come across. Love angle, maybe?

message 11: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa | 23 comments Austin wrote: "SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer, but that just made his death even more tragic. And tha..."

That is what made the book for me! I loved watching them bond and I kind of wish he could have stuck around a little longer.

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Rosa wrote: "Austin wrote: "SPOILERS

I really like the relationship between Alana and Marko's dad, very sweet. I wish we could have seen that build for a little longer, but that just made his death even more ..."

I wished the dad stick around longer too. It would have been interesting to see how he would help Alana and Marko in the long run.

message 13: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Mckernan I actually read straight through vol. 1 and 2 so I didn't really see the shift in focus as much. It's a great story so far for sure.
I'm kind of hoping Alana doesn't betray the father in law by telling Marko or Marko's mom how he really died. It would be a cheap way for her to try to endear herself to the mother in law.
Also, since The Will has it out so bad for Prince Robot, I have to think that scenario will play out to Marko and Alana's favor in a pretty epic way. I look forward to that part more than anything I think.

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments John wrote: "Also, since The Will has it out so bad for Prince Robot, I have to think that scenario will play out to Marko and Alana's favor in a pretty epic way. I look forward to that part more than anything I think. "

Oh yeah, he definitely set up the anticipation for that confrontation.

Leesa (leesalogic) I loved Vol. 2 as much as I loved Vol. 1. The cover art for each chapter is remarkable. Fiona Staples is quickly becoming my favorite artist.

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Leesa wrote: "I loved Vol. 2 as much as I loved Vol. 1. The cover art for each chapter is remarkable. Fiona Staples is quickly becoming my favorite artist."

I'm loving Fiona Staples' artwork too! It's so beautiful and it really fits the story here!

Cyndi (bookchick64) Really enjoying this series. Good continuity and nice pacing.

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Cyndi wrote: "Really enjoying this series. Good continuity and nice pacing."

I agree! I loved the fact that this series has great continuity and still stays interesting throughout its run!

Andrew (aaaaaaaaaaaandrew) I love Fiona Staples' (I think that's her name) art, she is my favourite artist because of this series, but I wish she wasn't drawing fat naked giants

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Andrew wrote: "I love Fiona Staples' (I think that's her name) art, she is my favourite artist because of this series, but I wish she wasn't drawing fat naked giants"

Oh yeah,I will admit that image of the giant made me cringe a bit.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments Ronyell wrote: "Oh yeah,I will admit that image of the giant made me cringe a bit. "

I think that it was successful then ;)

Valerie (darthval) I thought the fat naked giant was disgustingly brilliant.

Andrew (aaaaaaaaaaaandrew) brilliantly disgusting

Valerie (darthval) Andrew wrote: "brilliantly disgusting"

That too. ;)

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (metermouse) | 50 comments Peter wrote: "I'm curious if Prince Robot is going to come around to being sympathetic to Alana and Marko's cause. On the one hand, they've shown him to be a ruthless bad guy. But on the other hand they've also ..."

I was sort of hoping that maybe he would come around to their point of view after being so traumatized by the horrors of war. However then he has his wife and unborn child being threatened if he doesn't deliver... It would definitely be interesting!

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Melanie wrote: "Peter wrote: "I'm curious if Prince Robot is going to come around to being sympathetic to Alana and Marko's cause. On the one hand, they've shown him to be a ruthless bad guy. But on the other hand..."

I can't wait to see what would become of Prince Robot's family!