Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Sleeper: Season One
This topic is about Sleeper
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: Sleeper: Season One by Ed Brubaker - September 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone. This is the topic for our optional Book Club Discussion for September 2013, which is Sleeper: Season One by Ed Brubaker.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of September.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our official book club discussion everyone.

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mendez (Yvonne_Mendez) I finished reading it, but there are some may layers to this book that I'll need to read it again before the discussion....good choice!

message 3: by Corto (last edited Sep 15, 2013 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Corto Maltese | 78 comments I wanted to reread it, before I enter the discussion. Didn't quite got around to it and now I'm running out of September ;-)
Only so much: Brubaker and Phillips have the Midas-touch. They are unable to produce anything else but gold. One of the very best creative teams around - also check out Fatale, their recent project.

Cyndi (bookchick64) Agreeing about the re-read. Some many double crosses and twists. Great noir!

Zedsdead One of the many details I love about this book is the "origin stories" game the gangsters play when they're kicking back with drinks in hand. They tell the stories about themselves but in third person, maybe to dissociate themselves from the horrible shit they've been through? Or maybe just because that's how the game is played. Wonderful.

Cyndi (bookchick64) @Zedsdead...good point! I loved this also.

Rosa | 23 comments I totally thought this was going to be a straight up spy book. I wasn't expecting the powers or the crazy politics. I thought the origin game was very clever as well.

message 8: by Zedsdead (last edited Sep 27, 2013 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zedsdead Did anybody figure out what exactly Tao's abilities were? There was a vague reference to him talking and "getting inside your head" but that was all I picked up on. I rather enjoyed the uncertainty, actually--I imagine that Carver felt similarly off-balance--but at the same time I'm wondering if I just missed something.

Paul | 286 comments I'm a little late to the party, but what they hey; my review...

>wow, just wow.

I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to super-heroes and super-villains, I should be I've been reading comic books with them for over 45 years. When it comes to noir, I'm may not be AS knowledgeable, but I've got a fair share of knowledge.

This Brubaker guy, he's good, he's damn good. He brings Noir in a world populated by supers and spins a damn good yarn.

I liked this book, in fact I liked it so much that I was going to order the second volume... then I saw that there was an expensive hardcover Omnibus that contains the whole story... so I just ordered that instead... what the hell, I don't really need those new winter tires, right?

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments Way late here, but finally read this (via the omnibus). Absolutely fantastic noir super powered spy mind bender. Dark and harsh to great effect, Carver's largely hopeless undercover mission amid the expert game masters he's trying to stay ahead of is layered and compelling from start to finish. The two seasons together form a complete story with no real holes. The omnibus also contains the prequel Point Blank, which isn't quite as strong but is still very good and adds a lot of context to Sleeper.

This was really the first thing I've read by Brubaker, and I'm rather impressed.