Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Fall 2013 20.7 - Don's task: Jewish Holidays

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 20.7 - Don's task:
In honor of the five important Jewish holidays in September (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Shemini Atzeret, and Simchat Torah), read a book by a Jewish author.

message 2: by Liz M (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:27AM) (new)

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments Aha! Now I see why the polls mattered! So we got our poll choice anyway!

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Am I correct that the task also allows us to read a book by a Jewish author regardless of country of residence/citizenship and subject matter?

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments Now we need a dead French author who was a contemporary of Proust and wrote a quirky book (using a title inspired by Shakespeare) about his life abroad as an artist which won the Prix Goncourt. His pen name was only his last name which is translated into a profession. Of course the book is on the top 200 Booklover's list.
Anyone got any ideas?

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Karen GHHS wrote: "Am I correct that the task also allows us to read a book by a Jewish author regardless of country of residence/citizenship and subject matter?"

Yes, the task is to read a book written by a Jewish author.

message 9: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "Is this author okay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_..."

Yes.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1502 comments Another list Jewish Authors

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2787 comments Thanks for the list Bea! I see that it includes David Malouf with the note "Jewish mother, non-Jewish father". I'm planning to read his Remembering Babylon for Rebekah's task, so I'm just wondering about combo points ...?

The same note ("Jewish mother, non-Jewish father") applies to Proust but I know he was brought up a Catholic so I wasn't expecting any combo points for this task for him (there are plenty of others!)

message 12: by Liz M (new)

Liz M This turned out more complicated than we thought! In general, I feel like there needs to be a stronger connection to Judaism than the author's mother was of Jewish descent.

I would say Yes for Neil Gaiman (was raised with two religions, but calls himself a "bad Jew")

Yes to Mary Doria Russell (converted to Judaism)

Yes to David Malouf - a borderline yes - in absence of any evidence to the contrary (wiki & several sources very carefully say he is "of Jewish descent" rather than indicate him as a Jewish Australian author, but nothing says he was raised in Christianity by his Christian father)

No to Proust who is of Jewish descent, but the google sources I found follow up Jewish mother with raised as a Catholic. Wiki carefully categorizes him as "French people of Jewish descent | French Roman Catholics".

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Arthur Golden is a member of the Ochs-Sulzberger family, who were German Jewish immigrants. Can you confirm that he qualifies as a Jewish author for this challenge?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Arthur Golden is a member of the Ochs-Sulzberger family, who were German Jewish immigrants. Can you confirm that he qualifies as a Jewish author for this challenge?"

Yes, Arthur Golden qualifies as a Jewish author.

http://www.arthurgolden.blogspot.com/

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Does James McBride qualify?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Does James McBride qualify?"

I didn't see anything in the GR bio nor the bio on his website that indicates he is Jewish. Should I have looked elsewhere?

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Does James McBride qualify?"

I didn't see anything in the GR bio nor the bio on his website that indicates he is Jewish. Should I have looked elsewhere?"

Sorry- guilty of too little information:
I read his first book The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother a long while back and it's a tribute to his Jewish mother. I don't remember if he adopted the faith and I couldn't find anything specific. I wondered if anyone here knew if he actually counted. I just got his newest book from the library The Good Lord Bird.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Sorry, I should have looked at Wiki. He says:

"I'm proud of my Jewish history," he has said. "Technically I guess you could say I'm Jewish since my mother was Jewish...but she converted (to Christianity).

For our purposes, he does not qualify for the Jewish task.

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Sorry, I should have looked at Wiki. He says:

"I'm proud of my Jewish history," he has said. "Technically I guess you could say I'm Jewish since my mother was Jewish...but she converted (to Christ..."

Thanks,
I should have gone there also, in fact I might have when I put the book on hold, since it didn't end up on my task list. If I get to a Pick and Mix round 2 I might be able to fit it in. I appreciate your time checking!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.