The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Everything Else > book pricing

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (neyronrose) | 449 comments I thought this post (http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/whats-th...) by Dear Author would be a good start for a discussion on book pricing.

I get 99-cent books to try new-to-me authors, and without hesitation if it's a sale from an author I like.

I'll try $1.99 books. If that's a sale on a novella, it seems about right to me.

$2.99 to $4.99 is good to me as the price for a longer novella or category romance, or of a novel that's on sale.

$5.00 or $6.00 is for a short to mid-length novel, in my judgment.

I'll pay more if it's an author I know and like, but those are my buying habits as a reader. I'm not likely to pay more than $5.00 for a book by an author that's new to me, though I'll pay $1.00 for a short story to see if I like them. (I didn't say I had to be logical.)

I like when authors offer free short stories on their websites. It can be only a page or two long, but enough to get an idea of what their writing is like. Like a "Fiction with Friction" short story, that kind of thing.

So those are some of my buying habits and thoughts on book pricing. What do others think?

message 2: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes | 373 comments Great discussion! Pricing is a fav topic of mine. I agree a lot with what she says and like what you have added too. I do 99 cent books for shorts or fire-sales. But for me, I like $2.99 to $3.99 for Novellas. I can't bring myself to pay $4.99 for anything less than 100 pages though. My "read you and have enjoyed you" point is more $4.99-$6.99. I would only pick up a $7.99 book when it is on sale for less than that. Riptide prices most of their full length books at this price. I won't pick them up unless they have a sale.

I hate to see books in the $8.99 range. I won't buy them. I may keep an eye on them to see if they go on sale and check if the library has them so I can borrow them. That means that I won't pay that for a romance book, maybe historical fiction or non fiction.

message 3: by Aussie54 (new)

Aussie54 | 322 comments Emilie wrote: "I like when authors offer free short stories on their websites. It can be only a page or two long, but enough to get an idea of what their writing is like... "

I agree, I really enjoyed Jordan C Price's free Psycop story a few years ago, and have bought nearly all her books since.

I cringe when I see higher prices (anything over $8) for ebooks, but if it's an author I really like, I usually (reluctantly) buy it.

I've gone off short stories lately, especially if they're part of a series. Seems like some authors write several short stories, and end up getting more for them that way, rather than presenting them as a full novel.

message 4: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I think books under a pound have very little interest for me. If I want to know if I like an author I'll read the free sample of one of their books and see if I'm willing to pay the full price to read the rest.