Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Air Gear, Vol. 1 (Air Gear, #1)
This topic is about Air Gear, Vol. 1
Group Reads > Air Gear Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Air Gear is one of the two series we are reading for September. We are reading the first 4 volumes as a group.

"Itsuki Minami needs no introduction–everybody’s heard of the “Babyface” of the Eastside. He’s the toughest kid at Higashi Junior High School, easy on the eyes but dangerously tough when he needs to be. Plus, Itsuki lives with the mysterious and sexy Noyamano sisters. Life is never dull, but it becomes dangerous when Itsuki leads his school to victory over some vindictive Westside punks with gangster connections. Now he stands to lose his school, his friends, and everything he cares about. But in his darkest hour, the Noyamano girls come to Itsuki’s aid. They can teach him a powerful skill that will save their school from the gangsters’ siege–and introduce Itsuki to a thrilling and terrifying new world."

Discuss Air Gear here!

Kristen | 224 comments I'm not quite done with the first volume, but I have to say that I am really not into it. It feels very cliche: the scene where he accidentally touches a girl's chest, the guy who can beat anybody in a fight, the evil gang. It felt like I was reading someone's parody of a manga. I haven't read the entire volume yet, so maybe it gets better, but I am not impressed by any means.

Mike | 239 comments Mod
I read some of this a long time ago. There were a couple of nice elements, but from what I can recall you've summed it up pretty well. Stereotypical shounen manga turned up to eleven plus rollerblades.

I remember giving it three volumes to see if it started to develop into something better, but it didn't really and I gave up.

Kristen | 224 comments Oh gosh, I forgot to mention the rollerblades! They feel really hokey. I realize that they were probably popular at the time - you know, that short period of time in the nineties? - but, it is not a theme that has aged well.