She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > October Recommendations are NOW OPEN!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) It's that time of the month again to open up recommendations for our next group read!

Theme for October: Horror

Recommendations will be taken from September 1st - 14th - so be sure to get in early and suggest what you would like to see read!

Here's the guidelines for recommending books for new group members, and old hands alike:

1. Every month we read one comic book, one novel, and one manga. Comics and manga can fall under any genre, but please note that novels must fall under the heading of science fiction, fantasy, or horror (and any of their sub-genres).

2. Please recommend books that have not been previous group reads. You can see which books we've read previously here.

3. Be specific. Don't say "any book by ______". It won't be counted.

4. Please link your book in your thread so members can easily look it up.

5. Suggest a book that you think would be good for a large group discussion - that's the point of this group bringing us all together!

How voting works

We choose the top three in each category for the final vote from the 15th - 21st of the month based on how many votes it has.

1. All members can vote on a book/comic/manga they would like to read if somebody suggests it. Simply reply to the thread with "I'm voting for ______" or "VOTE: _____" and it will be counted. The books with the most votes get chosen to be put into the final three poll in the 3rd week of the month. Only comments with the word "vote" somewhere in it will be counted as such in order to avoid confusion.

2. Please only vote for a work ONCE. Multiple votes for the same works will not be counted.

3. You can change or modify your votes as many times as you'd like before the thread closes on the 14th.

4. In the case where two or more books are have equal votes, the book that was suggested first (as indicated by the timestamp on the thread) will enter the poll for the month.

All members do not have to read, recommend, or vote for all three genres - if you only want to suggest and read a novel, that's fine! We're a pretty diverse group here.

The poll with the top three chosen titles of each category will go live on August 15th. A message to all group members will be sent out when that commences.

Let's get recommending!

message 2: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Oh yeah, HORROR. Woot!

For book, I nominate: The Thief of Always

For comic: Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

message 3: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
Tut tut Anna. Locke and Key is a previous read of the month... :(

message 4: by Lamora/Ches (new)

Lamora/Ches (lamora) | 6 comments VOTE,

For book: NOS4A2

For manga: Attack on Titan, Volume 1
(also considered Fantasy, so hope it fits in this month's theme <.<)

For comic: Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction
(it's not a proper vote, but I'm suggesting it because I want to read it :p)

message 5: by Alissa (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:40PM) (new)

Alissa Hankinson (alissahankinson) | 2 comments I vote for:

book- NOS4A2

graphic novels- House of Mystery

message 6: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 34 comments I vote for:
Manga
Uzumaki, Vol. 1 by Junji Ito
Book
The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King
Comic
Echoes by Joshua Hale Fialkov

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 50 comments I'd like to read Hellboy for VOTE for Hellboy: Seed of Destruction.

For book an urban fantasy infused with horror: Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) by Simon R. Green Agents of Light and Darkness.

message 8: by Atm (last edited Sep 05, 2013 06:00AM) (new)

Atm (aryes) | 21 comments Manga: I think that
Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1 Deadman Wonderland, Volume 1 by Jinsei Kataoka or
Attack on Titan, Volume 1 Attack on Titan, Volume 1 by Hajime Isayama

for the book I strongly suggest I Hunt Killers I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga

message 9: by Ma'Belle (new)

Ma'Belle (linguisticness) | 54 comments For the book, I vote for N0S4A2.

For the comic, I vote for Hellboy: Seed of Destruction (since I already recently read it and have too many other new series I'm already starting)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Camilleri (serenityfay) | 1 comments The Lovecraft Anthology, Vol 1 (Eye Classics) by H.P. Lovecraft

I haven't finished reading it but it's been pleasantly surprising so far.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) Hey everybody - just a note that today is the last day for recommendations for October! Tomorrow the polls will start, so if you want to recommend/vote, please do so today!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.