Literary Horror discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph, Randy (last edited Apr 23, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Not really a horror publisher per se but certainly published some weird tales. This for me has been one of the most interesting new publishers in the last couple of years. Quentin S. Crisp and his brother Noah are at the helm.

http://chomupress.com/

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 356 comments Yeah... really strange stuff. I would highly recommend Remember You're a One-Ball! by Quentin S. Crisp by Crisp.

They have reprinted some of Ex Occidente's titles that have gone out of print. I wonder if they will be picking up Louis Marvick's STAR USHAK (which was just scintillating).

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Today in the mail I got Chomu Press book "Dadaoism an Anthology" by Quinton S. Crisp the font that the book is printed in is so small I do not believe I will be able to read the book.

message 4: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Karl wrote: "Today in the mail I got Chomu Press book "Dadaoism an Anthology" by Quinton S. Crisp the font that the book is printed in is so small I do not believe I will be able to read the book."

Oh dear. Is it really that bad?

message 5: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments I see Chomu is putting out its first hardcover. Wish The Dracula Papers, Book I: The Scholar's Tale had been a hardcover as well as available in the other formats.

message 6: by Karl (new)

Karl Randolph wrote: "I see Chomu is putting out its first hardcover. Wish The Dracula Papers, Book I: The Scholar's Tale had been a hardcover as well as available in the other formats."

Seeing as the book comes out May 1, perhaps you can run it up the May Pole and see if it should be or June group read. afta owl youse da guy !!!

message 7: by Karl (new)

Karl For anyone interested this is a good interview.

http://www.schlockmagazine.net/2014/0...

message 8: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Karl wrote: "Randolph wrote: "I see Chomu is putting out its first hardcover. Wish The Dracula Papers, Book I: The Scholar's Tale had been a hardcover as well as available in the other formats."..."

Nice idea but too many negatives, not available as an e-book so it rules out many of those on a limited budget, even the trade is technically not in print anymore (I checked), and even the second hand market is running $12 and up (likely to go down though once the hardcover is issued). I also don't want to be accused of shilling for a certain bookseller with three Chomu offerings in a row. I don't want to be accused of the same thing I accused Robert Dunbar of doing.

If Chomu issues an e-book down the road I'll consider it again.

message 9: by Randolph, Randy (last edited Apr 23, 2014 05:04PM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Karl wrote: "For anyone interested this is a good interview.

http://www.schlockmagazine.net/2014/0..."

This is indeed a great interview. I think Mr. Crisp may have changed my attitude somewhat relative to ebooks and physical books. Very persuasive argument. I just wish I had a bigger house.

message 10: by Karl (new)

Karl Randolph wrote: "Karl wrote: "For anyone interested this is a good interview.

http://www.schlockmagazine.net/2014/0..."

This is indeed a great interview. I think Mr. Crisp may have ch..."

I especially like his argument, that with e-books, the book industry is trying to do what the record industry did, make you buy the same product over and over again by making the "older" product obsolete.

Build an addition.

message 11: by Karl (new)

Karl For those looking for a copy - Mine just arrived, of the first Chomu Press Hardcover of Anna Tambour's "Crandolin" - Note that the trade paper is the first appearance of the book (2012), this hard cover is published March 2014, bound in blue cloth. Sadly the book is one of the print on demand hardcovers and not an offset printing, meaning, the publisher took some of the trade paperbacks and had them bound in hardcover. The dust jacket is rather nice.

message 12: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments There is a new Chomu Press group on goodreads that is here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 13: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments Does anybody know what happened to this imprint other than general economic decline? I thought they were on the leading edge of weird until they went on life support.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments I think that Crisp is busy with his other pursuits. He and his brother did most of the work around their releases, outside of being the founders.
Snuggly Books, run by their buddy Justin Isis, is something of a successor. They cover similar fields, and publish many of Chomu's authors.

message 15: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 161 comments RIP