Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in September 2013?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know what you are reading this month!

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2242 comments Mod
I'm about a third of the way through Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit, Mercedes Lackey's version of the King Arthur legend. Enjoying it so far. Next up is The Ocean at the End of the Lane for our discussion.

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 382 comments Just started Fool's Fate and continuing How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way. After those, probably The Mists of Avalon and Cold Steel.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm in a phase of rereading old favourites that have come out as ebooks recently. Right now I'm reading Changer by Jane Lindskold.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'm still chewing through To Ride Hell’s Chasm. I like it a lot. The story keeps twisting and I love that none of the characters are really predictable. I'm also listening to Dust and it's just incredible. Elizabeth Bear's worlds are always so bizarre!

Also on my list for September I have:
Seven Forges and The Plague Forge. I'm really looking forward to The Plague Forge. It's the last one in the trilogy and, so far, I love the story arc.

message 6: by Babette (new)

Babette | 2 comments Stefan wrote: "Please let us know what you are reading this month!"

About to start, to say Nothing of the Dog.

message 7: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments currently reading Guards! Guards!, my first Discworld or Pratchett and really enjoying it.

I plan to then read Make Room! Make Room!, Redshirts and Eye of Cat

message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 45 comments I'm about to start Singularity's Ring by Paul Melko. Other books I plan to get to this month: White Devils, The Lord of Opium, The Mayan Secrets, and The Curiosity. I'm really looking forward to The Lord of Opium, the sequel to The House of the Scorpion.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Right now I am reading Babayaga
I haven't looked at the dust cover nor looked to see what this is about. Except for an article about the authors Grandfather.

Next up will be a Rebus mystery The Falls and then Erikson's Memories of Ice. I was going to wait till next spring but I really liked Deadhouse Gates.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 72 comments Just finished Anthem, just started We. After that, I'll probably start "It Can't Happen Here" or "Mockingbird" (the one by Tevis).

message 11: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Chris wrote: "Just finished Anthem, just started We. After that, I'll probably start "It Can't Happen Here" or "Mockingbird" (the one by Tevis)."

Mockingbird is a fantastic read and contains my favourite robot.

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen Have added Dust to my tbr!

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 69 comments I'm reading Fyre and when I'm done with that I'm going to read Cast in Ruin and then Cast in Peril.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 72 comments Pickle wrote:
Mockingbird is a fantastic read and contains my favorite robot..."

Well, that does it. It's next on my list!

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (manoskm) Shift Omnibus Edition, Chasm City, and Out of Africa. Probably a few others once I finish those, but I'm not sure what they'll be yet. :)

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3222 comments Mod
Finished Mindstar Rising last night and will read the other 2 books in that series this month. Next up is a mystery, This Way Out. Not sure what else...

message 17: by Maddalena (new)

Maddalena | 7 comments I just started Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and enjoying it very much so far.

message 18: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished and loved The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Now I'm in the middle of the crazy first few weeks of the school year plus Jewish holidays, so I'm retreating to old favorite re-reads as I always seem to do each year. About to pick up The Summer Tree, first book of Guy Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. One of my all-time favorites. Not as polished as his later works, but a favorite all the same.

Incidentally, for those who are planning on reading Ysabel for our upcoming discussion, it does tie to Fionavar - you don't need to have read it, but when it hints at a fascinating backstory for some of the characters, well, that backstory can be found in the Fionavar trilogy ;)

message 19: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments 3rd book of the Expanse, Abaddon's Gate
Trying to finish Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312
Oldie Whipping Star and The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert - buddy read for Classic SF group
Another oldie A World Out of Time just for fun

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments Ric ~ which is the classic sf group??? i'd love to join! :)

message 21: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments Ann wrote: "Ric ~ which is the classic sf group??? i'd love to join! :)"
Here's a link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "Incidentally, for those who are planning on reading Ysabel for our upcoming discussion, it does tie to Fionavar - you don't need to have read it, but when it hints at a fascinating backstory for some of the characters, well, that backstory can be found in the Fionavar trilogy"

Hmmm, sounds like a reason to reread the Fionavar Tapestry, which I have not done in years and years.

message 23: by Helen (last edited Sep 06, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

Helen And I've not read them at all...

Just looked on Amazon, I can pre-order Summer Tree, it's published 25.12.2019. 2019???

message 24: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Helen wrote: "And I've not read them at all...

Just looked on Amazon, I can pre-order Summer Tree, it's published 25.12.2019. 2019???"

That's a neat trick... :) Wait, pre-order? It was published in 1984...

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Chris wrote: "Just finished Anthem, just started We. After that, I'll probably start "It Can't Happen Here" or "Mockingbird" (the one by Tevis)."

Anthem is one of my favorite books. Kept me awake many a night reading it

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 72 comments Ken wrote: Anthem is one of my favorite books. Kept me awake ..."

Anthem was great. One of the few books I wish was much longer.

I'm about a third of the way through Mockingbird and it's excellent so far.

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen Shel wrote: "Helen wrote: "And I've not read them at all...

Just looked on Amazon, I can pre-order Summer Tree, it's published 25.12.2019. 2019???"

That's a neat trick... :) Wait, pre-order? It was publishe..."

It says that date on the unavailable paperback. How can they know it'll be bang on Christmas day 2019, So annoying.

message 28: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) I just finished Cold Days. Great Dresden. I am not finishing Pirate Latitudes (not sure about this one) for a buddy read. Next is The Name of the Wind.

message 29: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Helen wrote: "Shel wrote: "Helen wrote: "And I've not read them at all...

That's a neat trick... :) Wait, pre-order? It..."

Here's a link to the version currently in print:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Tree-The...

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments Ric - thanks for the link to the sf group! joined! :)

message 31: by Alfaniel (new)

Alfaniel Aldavan | 1 comments Maddalena wrote: "I just started Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and enjoying it very much so far."

I loved it. The world building is fabulous!

message 32: by Helen (new)

Helen Thanks Shel, I shall go look.

message 33: by Shel, Moderator (new)

They're probably planning a special 35th anniversary edition.

message 34: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished the 2nd book in the Greg Mandel trilogy by Peter Hamilton, and before diving into the 3rd book, I am reading Elantris.

message 35: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just plowed my way through Captain Vorpatril's Alliance in a couple of days. What fun! I've always loved Ivan :)

I haven't decided what's next. We'll see what I'm in the mood for when I sit down to read tonight.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Shel wrote: "I just plowed my way through Captain Vorpatril's Alliance in a couple of days. What fun! I've always loved Ivan :)

Me too. I loved having a whole book from his perspective. :)

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Done with Seven Forges and The Plague Forge. Also read East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise which was pretty awesome.

Just started The Godborn for review and I love it so far. My first experience of Toril (Forgotten Realms) with a different author. Definitely plan to read more Paul S. Kemp.

Going to try and fit in Shaman before the end of the month.

Still chewing through To Ride Hell's Chasm and Dust is on audio. Nearly done with that, too. It's been a big month of books for me.

message 38: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished Elantris--yep, stayed up till nearly 1 AM and gave it a 9/10.

Next I am returning to Peter F. Hamilton for the final book in the Greg Mandel trilogy.

I need something to take along for some upcoming long flights, but I may end up taking one or two books and then reading on the iPad if I need more.

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 72 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way through It Can't Happen Here. I had really high hopes because it sounded like a version of '1984' that takes place in the U.S., but it's very disappointing so far.

message 40: by Kelly (last edited Sep 23, 2013 06:24AM) (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I finished Shaman yesterday. Read all day, couldn't put it down. Amazing book. Very glad to have read something good from KSR after being so disappointed in 2312.

Still chipping away at a couple other books. Got sent a copy of The Incrementalists, so I'll take that for a spin as well.

message 41: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just started Theft of Swords, the first volume of Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. From the reviews I've read, it's low on substance and high on entertainment value, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now!

message 42: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 25 comments Hi, just joined. I finished CryoBurn last night, loved it. What an ending!

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments Oooooh, I love all the Miles books! One of my all-time favorite series!

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Me too. CryoBurn wasn't one of my favourites, but I do love all the books. :)

message 45: by Helen (new)

Helen Shel wrote: "I just started Theft of Swords, the first volume of Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. From the reviews I've read, it's low on substance and high on entertainment value, which is exactly what ..."

I loved this series.

message 46: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "I just started Theft of Swords, the first volume of Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations."

I have it on my iPad, but only the first book. Now he's writing prequels to this trilogy.

message 47: by Mark (new)

Mark | 4 comments Recently finished A Feast for Crows and now reading a non-SFF book - The Prague Cemetery which although I guess would classify as historical fiction has some pretty fantastical elements - lots of great conspiracy theories from the viewpoint of someone who went out of their way to create them. Not finished yet, but enjoying so far.

message 48: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Packed to read on some upcoming long flights:
The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3) by Peter F. Hamilton Household Gods by Judith Tarr and Ice Mage by Julia Gray

I know I won't read much on the actual vacation (Galápagos Islands with National Geographic/Lindblad Expeditions) but getting there and back from Wisconsin will give me plenty of time to read!

message 49: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished up Babayaga.
It was ok, not quite what I was expecting.

Started in on a Rebus mystery
Reading The Falls

Not sure whats next, looking at a couple of
nonfiction books or another Mazalan book

message 50: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Theft of Swords was exactly as advertised: not great writing, but really fun. I will definitely continue with the series at some point. Now I'm picking up Flora Segunda, first book in a YA trilogy that I've had for a while and kept forgetting about until a blogger I follow gave it a great review today.

« previous 1