Beyond Reality discussion

Redshirts
This topic is about Redshirts
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > REDSHIRTS: roll call and initial impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new) - added it

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're reading, planning to read, or have read Redshirts by John Scalzi.

No spoilers in this topic please!

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2121 comments Mod
I read it last month and got a big kick out of it. Looking forward to hearing other impressions.

Andreas | 84 comments Now that this thingy has won the Hugo 2013, we'll have to read it, right?

message 4: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I read this last year about this time. I enjoyed it.

Kelly (sisimka) Read it and loved it. Trying to get my husband to read it atm so we can giggle together.

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments May read at some point

message 7: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments finished this last week
Pretty good book, I enjoyed it.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 82 comments I'd like to read this one. Still have to find a copy.
Hoping to find it used.

message 9: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
I just got back from Lone Star Con 3 where the Hugos were presented. Great con! John Scalzi read from some of his work, including this short story available on his website. Enjoy! http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/08/05...

Theresa (gossamerchild) Read it and enjoyed it to an extent. Will need to re-read to remember.

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I am currently reading.

Sarah | 132 comments I read it a couple of months ago.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments About to start!

Trinity (snappingturtle) | 12 comments Looking forward to hearing more points of view on this one.

message 15: by Candiss (last edited Sep 09, 2013 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I just finished this, so I'll head over to the other thread. But I wanted to pop in and say that I just read on John Scalzi's blog that Redshirts is Audible.com's Daily Deal for September 9 ($2.95 US today only.) This audio format is read by Wil Wheaton.

I thought this might be useful to anyone on the fence or who can't get a copy or who just wants an audio copy.

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I listened to the audiobook shortly after it came out. I think I might have enjoyed it more in print. Scalzi tends to use the word "said" a lot and the dialogue being "said" is often quite short. It wouldn't surprise me if the word "said" is used 10 times in a minute during a conversation. He also has a character named Dahl and one named Duvall. That may have worked fine in text, but it's really hard to follow when the two of them have a conversation. Wil Wheaton is also not very good at giving each character his/her own voice so everybody sounds the same. That's not so good in a dialogue-heavy book.

Pickle | 202 comments this is my first book by the author, 112 pages in and im enjoying it, a very easy read.

message 18: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
Sandi wrote: "I listened to the audiobook shortly after it came out. I think I might have enjoyed it more in print. Scalzi tends to use the word "said" a lot and the dialogue being "said" is often quite short...."

I absolutely agree with you. I tried to listen to the audiobook on a car trip with my husband, and he found it too confusing, for all of the reasons you mentioned. That said, it was a fun read ( once I got the actual book). And I've heard Wil Wheaton read other books by Scalzi that I found more effective.

message 19: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick (doily) | 966 comments As it turns out, I won't be starting this one until tomorrow -- October 1!. But I'm really excited to get into it, as I grew up on the original TV series -- it was always a cunnundrum as to whether the fellas out on the parking lot would "play" Star Trek or the Man from UNCLE.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Redshirts (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Scalzi (other topics)