Cozy Mysteries discussion

SEPTEMBER 1ST CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace Davidson | 833 comments Mod
SEPTEMBER 1ST CHALLENGE

**As always each challenge will run 2 months. This will be due November 1st.
** Also you MUST choose an author you have NOT read
** Please post your choice and review here

Here is your challenge:
Pick a cozy author that has WON the "Agatha Award"
Here is the website listing all the nominations , there is an asterisk noting the winner.
www.malicedomestic.org

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments This might be a silly question but can it be a winner from any year?

message 3: by Candace (new)

Absolutely, as long as it is a winner! ;)

message 4: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige Thanks for posting the challenge. I have been anxiously awaiting what it was going to be. Can't wait to look at the list!

message 5: by Candace (new)

I am so glad Tonya! :)

message 6: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige I have decided to read Carolyn Hart. I have wanted to read her Death on Demand series for years, and now I have a reason to start.

message 7: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 1 comments I m going to read lowcounty boil

message 8: by Candace (new)

I am reading LowCountry Boil as well! :)

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments I haven't decided yet!!!! But hopefully by tomorrow I will have one picked!!!!

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments I have read too many of these or read other books by the authors. Some of them were great; some of them where all right. Maybe a kids book? They are the original cozies. I'll let you know as soon as I can make a decision. Have fun. I just bought Low Country Bombshell (I think). Boil was pretty good but I am surprised to find it an award winner.

message 11: by Candace (new)

My choice for the challenge was LowCountry Boil by Susan Boyer. I could only read 5 chapters. There wasn't any humor so I didn't care for it. The writing didn't flow. The thoughts jumped around and didn't make sense sometimes. Also it was a slow read, too boring to finish. :(

message 12: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige That's too bad Candace. Nothing more disappointing than looking forward to reading a book and not being able to get into it.

message 13: by Candace (new)

I am choosing another book. I still have plenty of time ! :)

message 14: by ☺Trish (new)

☺Trish Candace wrote: "I am choosing another book. I still have plenty of time ! :)"

I am choosing another Agatha winner for this challenge, too. ;)

message 15: by Candace (new)

For those of you who are participating in the Sept 1st challenge. *(this will also apply to all future challenges as well)* if you start reading a book and you can't finish it due to you not liking it for whatever reason, go ahead (if you have enough time) and choose another book.

My 1st choice for the Sept 1st challenge was Lowcountry Boil by Susan Boyer. I didn't finish it because I didn't like it.

My second choice will be A Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Ames.

message 16: by ☺Trish (new)

☺Trish I am reading Three-Day Town by Margaret Maron for this challenge. Too bad it's #17 of Maron's Deborah Knott mystery series. I usually like to read a series in order beginning with book #1, but I'm trying to be less rigid about stuff like that, so it's all good. :)

message 17: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments Finally picked one from the Best First Novel list. I just bought Better off Wed by Laura Durham. I was sure that list was ok because that is the list that Long Quiche Goodbye is from.

From the Best Novel group, I had read something by all but three authors and already own a different book by two of them.

Please don't judge Margaret Maron's books by that one; it was my least favorite. I LOVE most of Margaret Maron's. I love the characters and relationships, always the most important thing for me, which makes it understandable that Three-Day Town wasn't my favorite.

message 18: by ☺Trish (new)

☺Trish Finished and enjoyed Three-Day Town by Margaret Maron. It was a pretty good story, a very quick read, and was mildly entertaining. I definitely plan to read the first book of the Deborah Knott series, Bootlegger's Daughter and then go on from there. Thanks for the advice Jeanie.

message 19: by Jeanie (last edited Sep 20, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments I enjoyed Better off Wed by Laura Durham. I was frustrated by Anabelle's investigative technique; she was a little too clueless, but I liked the characters and over-all the book was well written and well worth the read. This was the first book in the series and I expect some improvement in the investigations but everything else held up well for me. I will be looking for more books in this series.

message 20: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments FYI: I just finished Lowcountry Bombshell; it was way better than Boil.

message 21: by Candace (new)

Great!

message 22: by Hockey Mama (last edited Sep 22, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

Hockey Mama I'll try Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny

message 23: by Hockey Mama (new)

Hockey Mama Author, not necessarily the book right?

message 24: by Candace (new)

An author that has won the award, you can choose any book they have wrote.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone. I'm new here; just joined. My name's Elizabeth and I'm from PA.

I have Long Quiche Goodbye on my TBR list so I'm going to give that one a try for this challenge!

Look forward to getting to know you all!

message 26: by Candace (new)

Welcome, Elizabeth! :)

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments reading any book the author has wrote might make it easier for me. Thanks Candace!!!!!

message 28: by Candace (new)

No prob, Christina! :)

message 29: by Candace (new)

My pick was The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames. I didn't like it very well. The characters were not developed very well. I didn't feel any connection or emotion to the characters.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Candace wrote: "My pick was The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames. I didn't like it very well. The characters were not developed very well. I didn't feel any connection or emotion to the characters."

That's the one I was going to read too. Maybe I'll pick out something else!

message 31: by Candace (new)

Day 2 JOANNA CARL

www.joannacarl.com

message 32: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige I read Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart. It was okay. I admit I did not guess who the murderer was. I am not sure if I will read any more in the series since I have so many in my TBR pile.

message 33: by Jeanie (last edited Oct 05, 2013 10:50PM) (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 106 comments Candace wrote: "An author that has won the award, you can choose any book they have wrote."

I didn't catch that even though it was clearly stated. But that is ok. The book I read was fine and I look forward to reading more with the hope that there is some development. Of course my big issue was that I had read books by so many of the authors. Not all of them were good.

message 34: by Candace (new)

November 1st is approaching fast. The current challenge is due then! Please post your choice and review here by Nov 1st!

message 35: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments I'm sorry that I didn't do this challenge. :( I hope to be able to join in on the next one.

message 36: by Candace (new)

Thanks ok!

message 37: by Candace (new)

Sorry I meant that's ok! :)

message 38: by Candace (new)

Sept 1st challenge is over. I will be posting the new challenge.