Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Webcomic Discussions > September - Paranatural

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss Paranatural here! You can start reading here.

Here's the first page:

message 2: by Zane (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:18PM) (new)

Zane Carey (zaneycarey) I am in love with the facial expressions. That is all. Oh also I love everything else

edit: oh no. im hooked

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this when I read chapter one a couple of months ago. Hopefully I'll have time to refresh my memory and then continue on this month.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Here are a few discussion questions for everyone to think about (Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate to your answer, even if the question didn't contain spoilers. Thanks!):

1) What do you think of the cast? Who is your most/least favorite character?

2) How do you like the art? Do you prefer the minimally colored first few strips or the full color style that was settled on?

3) How good do you think the balance of humor and plot progression is?

4) Would you want to live in Mayview? ;)

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Sep 05, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Zane wrote: "I am in love with the facial expressions. That is all. Oh also I love everything else

edit: oh no. im hooked"

Haha! My devious plot to have everyone addicted to Paranatural is falling into place!

In case no one has noticed yet, I really love Paranatural. It's colorful, dynamic and imaginative. It's cartoony, bouncy and funny. The comedic timing is fantastic. It's so much fun to read.

Mike wrote: "1) What do you think of the cast? Who is your most/least favorite character?

2) How do you like the art? Do you prefer the minimally colored first few strips or the full color style that was settled on?

3) How good do you think the balance of humor and plot progression is?

4) Would you want to live in Mayview?"

1. I love the cast. Every character is hilarious, but you can tell that a lot of them have interesting backstories, issues and whatnot. Other than Max, my favorites character is probably Mr. Starchman. He's only been in a handful of strips, but every time he shows up, I'm dying from laughter.

2. As I said, I think Paranatural looks fantastic. Everything about the way it looks is fun and exciting. I love the colors and the expressions and the visual gags: it's lovely.

3. I think the balance is pretty good. Pretty much every page is funny, but the story is still going on in each one.

4. Probably. Mayview is really pretty.

message 6: by Zane (new)

Zane Carey (zaneycarey) 1. I love the cast. I love how each of them have their own personalities. I LOVE THAT THEY ALL HAVE AMBITIONS AND FEELINGS. My fav character has to either be the dad or I think his name is Isaac. I love how they break tropes.
2. Starting out I expected the comic to be like others I've read: Black and white,sketchy, poorly organised. MAN I WAS WRONG?I mean, on the first page ^ you can see a variety of facial expressions, detailed clothes and postures, and the highlighted orange sky. It reminds me of creamsicles. I'm hungry now
3. It is not hardcore action or humor, they mix and sometimes one happens in the spotlight on a page while the other is in the background.
4. Yes, yes yes yes yes yes. The journalism club is non-powered and I would love to work for them, even though a small part hopes I would be a spectral.

message 7: by Kristen (last edited Sep 05, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Zane wrote: "1. I love the cast. I love how each of them have their own personalities. I LOVE THAT THEY ALL HAVE AMBITIONS AND FEELINGS. My fav character has to either be the dad or I think his name is Isaac. I..."

That's true. Despite all of the characters having one-liners and joking all of the time, they still have depth. Some of them anyway.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 11 comments Zane wrote: "I am in love with the facial expressions. That is all. Oh also I love everything else

edit: oh no. im hooked"

This is exactly what I thought. I love the crazy and perfectly timed expressions and the random background nonsense.

1. Mr. Starchman is probably my favorite so far. I would love that class so much. I also love it whenever Max pulls out his crazy parkour. Seeing him vault off a desk or do a one handed scooter wheelie is just awesome.

2. Definitely the colorful art. At first I didn't like the sketchy look at the beginning, so I'm glad it switched styles so quickly.

3. I think it balances them well. The first chapter introduced a lot of characters and exposition in only 70 pages without it feeling rushed, AND it got a lot of good laughs out of me. That's more than many other stories can say.

4. Absolutely yes. I'm the type to laugh at anything slightly out of the ordinary, and I love surrounding myself with entertainingly strange people. I would probably die laughing if I lived there, and that's my ideal way to die. :D

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Serene wrote: "Absolutely yes. I'm the type to laugh at anything slightly out of the ordinary, and I love surrounding myself with entertainingly strange people. I would probably die laughing if I lived there, and that's my ideal way to die. :D "

Some crazy stuff happens in Mayview. I would probably die of laughter, too. Especially if something like this happened: (view spoiler) (I don't think there are any real spoilers here)

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "Especially if something like this happened: (view spoiler)[ (hide spoiler)] "

I adored that moment. So gloriously absurd.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Mike wrote: " So gloriously absurd."

That is a fantastic way to describe Paranatural. It's why I love it.

message 12: by Mike (last edited Sep 21, 2013 08:52AM) (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Finally reread a bit of chapter 1 to refresh my memory. Just as amusing and fun as the first time through.

1. Like everyone else I adore the cast. Well developed and unique while still fitting the required comedic roles. Max of course stands out, although I also have a soft spot for Zoey. Probably a combination of sympathy for the vicious zingers she takes from Max and dad and the fierce way she fires back sometimes.

2. The art is fantastic. I remember not minding the two toned stuff while preferring the full color. Now I'm so used to the wonderfully done full color stuff the beginning pages look flat and lifeless in comparison.

3. The balance of humor and story is perfect. Things keep moving and stay interesting while being consistently hilarious. The humor also has incredible timing. The punchline in the middle of this strip had me cracking up.

4. Dunno. Might be too weird for me (which is saying a lot...)

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Caught back up some more and am remembering how much I love Isabel and Suzy. Isabel's Jekyll and Hyde act when switching from talking to friends to dealing with spirits cracks me up and Suzy's bubbly declarations of the morally questionable things she does in the name of journalism are hilarious.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Suzy is pretty hilarious. She's insane. Her whole tour of the school with Max was awesome. I liked the fifth panel of this page.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
That's fantastic. I love the calm sales pitch in the third panel of this one.