Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Webcomic Discussions > September - School Spirit

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss School Spirit here! You can start reading School Spirit here.

Here's the first page:

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Here are a few discussion questions for everyone to think about (Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate to your answer, even if the question didn't contain spoilers. Thanks!):

1) What do you think of the cast? Who is your most/least favorite character?

2) How do you like the art? Do you think it suits the comic?

3) What do you think of the comic's humor? Does it work for you?

4) Were you as incredibly bored as I was wading through 50+ strips waiting for comic to finally get going? (I made no promises that these questions will always be impartial ;) Please feel free to disagree!)

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
1) They're fine, but not really all that distinguishable or memorable from what I've read. They seem like ciphers for the story and jokes rather than the driving force of the comic.

2) Meh. I don't care for the style - I know the character designs are intentionally exaggerated, but the giant ears just look ridiculous.

3) There's potential and I laughed a few times, but it just as often merited a shoulder shrug or fell flat for me.

4) Well, obviously. :) I was somewhat curious and kind of being carried by bursts of humor, but after a while I completely lost interest. I feel like I read a lot more than the 60 or so comics I did.

Something that didn't help was the navigation: I clicked through the first two chapters (10 to 20 pages each) by starting at the beginning and clicking on the comic or the "next comic" button. At the end of chapter two that took me to a holiday comic instead (which I just assumed was in order). After skimming a bunch of those, and then cricket lessons, I figured out it had jumped me into the special comic section. I went back to the last comic of chap 2 and the way to continue in order is using the "next chapter" button instead of the "next comic" one. A small thing, but given I was already frustrated with the pace it didn't do the comic any favors.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I haven't actually read it yet, but my first impressions upon looking at a few comics here and there are not good. I don't like the art style at all. It also looks exactly the same today as it did ten years ago. I would expect some alteration in style or quality, but there is none. The few comics I have read, I did not find very funny. I'm still going to get around to actually reading it and giving it a fair shot, but I probably will not like it.

message 5: by Zane (new)

Zane Carey (zaneycarey) Kristen wrote: "I haven't actually read it yet, but my first impressions upon looking at a few comics here and there are not good. I don't like the art style at all. It also looks exactly the same today as it did ..."

I agree, the art style doesn't progress :/

1. I find the characters very simple and boring. Except the teacher but she is just random?

2. I think it suits the comic, bland but effort is present.

3. The humor is flat. To be honest I'm not done withe the 1113 pages yet, but I'm sure it won't change much.

4. Yes. Yes I was quite bored. Even worse was the history lessons. They would be interesting if the comic was fast paced, and it was a breath but no. I am not australian, nor do I play cricket. Also the main character changes through these specials sometimes which is even more confusing since the character designs so alike.

All in all. I'm going to read them all. I'm going to add it to my update list. Why? I am not entirely sure.