Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Jazz Age Fashion: Dressed to Kill
This topic is about Jazz Age Fashion
Past Fashion Book Group Reads > Jazz Age Fashion: Dressed to Kill by Virginia Bates

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of Jazz Age Fashion: Dressed to Kill by Virginia Bates.

message 2: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I'm bummed- not one public library in the entire state of RI owns this. And even the academic libraries don't show copies. And it lists for $50! Too dear for me.

Phair wrote: "I'm bummed- not one public library in the entire state of RI owns this. And even the academic libraries don't show copies. And it lists for $50! Too dear for me."

That stinks! I got it when it came out on Amazon for around $30. I hope in the future you can find it at the library!

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phair wrote: "I'm bummed- not one public library in the entire state of RI owns this. And even the academic libraries don't show copies. And it lists for $50! Too dear for me."

You should try to get Fashion Sourcebook 1920s by Charlotte Fiell and/or Fashions of the Roaring '20s by Ellie Laubner! They are both amazing. We could totally talk about these books as well since they are mostly pictures and about the 1920s :)

It's $35.77 on amazon which is still a lot but better than $50

Where you able to find the other books I recommended at your library?

Has anyone else gone through the book? What are your favorite garments?

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty Shubert | 73 comments If you love Jazz age fashions , I hope you will win my book. "OUT-of-STYLE: A Modern Perspective of How, Why & When Vintage Fashions Evolved", because you will find the chapter "Who Put The Roar In The Roaring Twenties?" interesting and my 1920s sketches, illuminating.(Find out why flappers wore "turned-down hose".) I own four gorgeous beaded dresses from the 1920s; In my book, I will tell you how I happened to own them and why you should carefully protect any vintage clothes you own for posterity. Always save special clothes that are extreme examples of a fashion: If they are beautiful ,keep them for your daughters or grand daughters ,attach a note about Why you saved it & When you wore it.Buy the book, "How To Archive Family Keepsakes" by Denise Levenick. Available on Amazon... But if your OUT-of-STYLE fashion is simply ridiculous, save it for a Halloween party!Betty Kreisel Shubert , Costume Designer,Fashion Historian, Author/illustrator