Basically Books! discussion

Reckless
This topic is about Reckless
Former Group Reads > Reckless by Amanda Quick (September 2013 Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
From a crumbling fairy-tale castle on the stormy Sussex coast to a dazzling, dizzying masquerade ball comes an enchanting tale of a tarnished knight, a daring maiden, and a sweet, searing storybook love...

At sixteen Phoebe Layton had imagined that Gabriel Banner was a brave and valiant knight, a noble-hearted hero born to rescue ladies in distress. Which is why, eight years later, when she desperately needed help toe carry out a vital quest, she could think of no one more suited to the job than Gabriel.

But when she lures her shining knight to a lonely midnight rendezvous, Phoebe finds herself sparring with a dangerously desirable man who is nothing like the hero of her dreams. And when he sweeps her into a torrid -- and blatantly unchivalrous -- embrace, she can't help but fear that she's made a dreadful mistake. It's a kiss that will seal Phoebe's fate. For now the exacting Earl of Wylde has a quest of his own: to possess the most intriguing, impulsive, outrageous female he has ever met...even if he has to slay a dragon to do it.

**Please remember to hide your spoilers using the < spoiler > ... < /spoiler > codes**

Enjoy your reading! We're looking forward to discussing the book with you all! ;)

message 2: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I finished this one a few hours ago. It's the fifth book I've read by Amanda Quick, but all the other ones I've read are much more recent. It was interesting to see her earlier work and how her style has changed.

I liked that this one was much more "unique" than her later works. She seems to have a plot forumla that she sticks to these days (heroine who's "on the shelf" and does not expect to marry, hero who's got plenty of experience in his pocket, mystery that can only be unravelled if the two join forces, couple of chapters from villain's PoV, two sex scenes - usually at around the same points in the book, etc.) While this book has some of those elements, it doesn't have them all and introduces other ones instead.

The fact that the book didn't read the exact same way as the others I've already sampled allowed me to enjoy it more. By the time I got to my third book by her I felt like I was reading the same story each time, just with different players! It was nice to get away from that feeling. It probably also helps that the last time I read something by her was over two years ago. ;)

I did not, however, like how many times the term reckless (or recklessness, recklessly) were used! Talk about overuse. If I ever read the book again I think I'll keep count because it was used a ridiculous number of times. I know it's the title of the book, but c'mon!

message 3: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Already read them both? you're a machine :P

message 4: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Indeed! ;)I figured it pays to be prepared!

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 51 comments I finished this book - a re-read - a few days ago. I don't like it as much as her later works, but not too recent. I found with this author that her peak was approximately between 1993 - 2003 or about (at least for me). Everything before and after is not as masterful. And I agree - there is a formula, a predictability to her novels, but it has its charm. You always know what to expect. Sometimes, I re-read her novels just to cheer myself up from all darkness of the recent books.

message 6: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Good point! The first novel I read by her was The Perfect Poison (I was drawn in by the pretty purple cover!). I actually really enjoyed that one and decided I'd read every single book she's written. That lasted all of two more books when I realised I was reading the same story each time!

I still like The Perfect Poison, though, and go back and read my favourite passages from it whenever I open the box where it's currently being stored.

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 51 comments Rea, have you tried Jayne Castle? Under this name, the same author writes futuristic romance with a paranormal twist. The story is similar again, but for some reason, I like Jayne Castle better than her other pen names: Jayne Ann Krentz (contemporary romance) and Amanda Quick (historical romance).

message 8: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Bit late, sorry Olga. Things got crazy busy after my Belgium trip and just started to calm down again. >.<

I intended to read books by both Jayne Castle and Jayne Ann Krentz, but after reading The Perfect Poison, The Paid Companion, and Wicked Widow in quick succession I never got around to it.

I'm particularly interested in more sci-fi type novels now so maybe it's time to give Jayne Castle a try! Which book by her would you recommend?

message 9: by Olga (last edited Oct 26, 2013 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 51 comments Rea, she has two series - both similar. One starts with Amaryllis and includes Zinnia and Orchid, another starts with After Dark. You can try any, but don't read her books back to back, or they blend together. You need to inter-space them with other writers / genres.