Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Blood of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #7)
This topic is about Blood of Amber
The Chronicles of Amber > Blood of Amber / Initial impressions / No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
Good morning!
September first and time for our next read!
Blood of Amber

message 2: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

First chapter revisits book one.
I like when authors do this. I can skim or read as I choose. Sometimes you might have forgotten something important to the story that the author can remind you of.

Does anyone else like or dislike this way of introduction?

Evgeny I think book one is important to further story, so some reminders are justified.

message 4: by Angelof (last edited Sep 03, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Angelof I don't mind a revisit because it helps people to remember what happened. It's just that people like us who read the series one book after the other, it gets real boring because we just read about that.

Evgeny An example of modern revisiting: every single Harry Dresden novel (I am talking about 15 books here) has exactly the same description of Soulgaze, Harry's apartment and his car. I mean, they look copy-pasted. After this one little revisit in the world of Amber does not look too bad.

message 6: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haven't read Dresden at all, yet.
;) not going to happen soon.......I have the most bought, unread books ever!

There are ways to write of previous happenings that don't seem repetitive. If they get that way.....I tend to skim a book more.
Roger Zelazny's books.......I tend to want to go back and reread sections. It's like, he packs so much in, I feel I need my own revisit.
;)

Evgeny Somebody mentioned once that if you blink while reading Zelazny's novel, you will miss a lot. This is in sharp contrast with modern writers where the whole pages can be skipped without any loss of plot, character development, or anything important really.

message 8: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's just one more reason I love Roger Zelazny's writing.
:D

message 9: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (last edited Sep 06, 2013 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I thought this was a beautiful description of the way magic spells were written by the author.
"I summoned the Logrus and extended my tongue into its moving pattern. Then I spoke the spell, slowly and clearly, leaving out the four key words I had chosen to omit. The woods grew absolutely still about me as the words rang out. The spell hung before me like a crippled butterfly of sound and color, trapped within the synesthetic web of my personal vision of the Logrus, to come again when I summoned it, to be released when I uttered the four omitted words."

message 10: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anyone have a favorite quote or image from this book?
If it has a spoiler just post it to the companion thread.
:)

I'll be posting the next Amber book later today, as I have another busy week coming up.
Working 4 am is taking its toll in me.