101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
This topic is about The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Completed Children's Reads > The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer  | 285 comments Please post your comments about this book under this thread.

Britany Just started listening to this one...

Diane S ☔ Started reading and was early reminded on why I loved this book when I read it as a pre-teen. Kit is just so sassy and spunky. Nice to revisit an old friend. How is the narration on this Britany?

Britany Really good so far! She does the different voices really well, I especially enjoy her older man voice ;)

Diane S ☔ Chapter three.

Would not make it back in Puritan times. Woman were not allowed to learn to read. I am firmly convinced that is how men retained power over woman in the US for so many years. If they had taught us to read we would have realized how full of shinola men were.

Kressel Housman | 99 comments I haven't started yet, but are you sure it's correct that Puritan women weren't allowed to read? Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates gave me the impression that Puritan women read the Bible and the Bible only.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (crossreactivity) Yes, I think there was a restriction in general on reading fiction - novels, plays, etc. - even for men.

message 8: by Britany (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Britany I love Kit and her spunky attitude! It's interesting to me that for a children's book, this surprisingly has a lot of religious and political debate in the background.

I'm in Chapter 6, she just sees the Witch!!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) I just started ..... :)

Britany I know for me, Blueberry Cake and a kitten could certainly cure anything ;) I'm really loving this book so far!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) Finished... Loved it... Loved each and every word of it :)

Penny so many layers to this one - read it aloud a while back to my kids. Lots to talk about - I think I would have been even more socially unacceptable if I were around then!

Diane S ☔ I finished and loved it too. Read it when I was about 12 and loved it, I was surprised by how much I still did and how much it contained. I too would probably have been hanged as a witch. Or waterboarded or whatever.

Britany Finished this one :) 4 stars! Ended exactly how I wanted it to end!!

Here is my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
I just started this one, about two chapters in. I'm listening to it as well. I can't imagine not reading! I'm pretty sure women are the primary driving force behind the whole GR website (well, perhaps not, but it seems most times when I talk to people that love to read, it's women that like to discuss the books, but perhaps men just keep their thoughts more internalized?)

The not swimming really floored me, though. I mean, I heard about the whole thing with a witch floating, but frankly it just makes me think of a Monty Python skit, I didn't think people ever really took that seriously!

message 16: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 14, 2013 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Catherine I am afraid I would not be a very good Puritan. The rules for what you could not wear, how you must behave, the beliefs about education, religious expectations, and the physical labor that women were expected to do would probably have caused a rebellious spirit within me to rise up.

I love the scene when Kit jumps into the water to rescue the doll.

Diane S ☔ I loved that scene too and the way the author conveyed everyone's emotions by the looks on their faces. The thing that gets me with the Puritans is that they never considered that someone raised elsewhere would be different from the very beginning. Their self satisfaction and air of supremacy has always irked me.

Well stated, Diane. "...they never considered that someone raised elsewhere would be different from the beginning."

That rather makes me think of The Poisonwood Bible, for those of you who have read it.

Just finished Chapter 6.

I'm finding it fascinating listening to the various conversations. The Puritans' judgment of others makes me laugh and cringe at the same time, especially considering in church this morning we were studying James, where he is telling us exactly how NOT to treat each other like that. It's ironic, considering they want the freedom not to be judged by the king of England, yet they feel free to judge others in their midst, including the natives whose land they stole...

I'm finding myself liking Matthew much more as he's developing as a character. He's not just the gruff, stiff guy, but someone who wants the freedom to do as he desires. He just feels free to pass judgment on others, which makes him slightly ridiculous. But he's a good representative of that society as a whole. I think this is probably a more accurate portrayal than something like "The Crucible," though, because I'm sure there was a certain level of dissention in the ranks and different levels of loyalty to the king and desire to change to new ideas.