The Filipino Group discussion

Lolita
This topic is about Lolita
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] September 2013: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov | Moderators: Mae and Angus

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angus (last edited Sep 10, 2013 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Merry Christmas!

We are Mae and Angus, your moderators for the month of September. The theme selected for this month is controversial books, and the book selected is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Below is the proposed reading plan. Note that you do not have to strictly follow this. By all means, read at your own pace. This is set up only for the purpose of organizing the online discussion.

September 1 to 7:
-Foreword
-Part One: 1 - 16
*Audio: 001 - 026

September 8 to 14:
-Part One: 17 - 33
*Audio: 026 - 052

September 15 to 21:
-Part Two: 1 - 18
*Audio: 052 - 081

September 22 to 28:
-Part Two: 19 - 36
*Audio: 081 - 113

Ebook can be downloaded here (Thanks, Mommy Louize!).The audio book read by Jeremy Irons can be downloaded by clicking this link. You will find eight compressed files in that folder. Simply download these, decompress them in one folder, and voila! Put them in your music player and you are good to go.

If you have any questions, comments, and violent reactions regarding the book, feel free to post them on this thread. Use spoiler tags if necessary. We will try our best to answer or at least react to them, if we can't provide the answers.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Zim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zim (zimdelapena) | 171 comments Yey! Got it! :)

message 3: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Yes may audio!!!! Thanks Angus!

message 4: by Zim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zim (zimdelapena) | 171 comments May link ka nung audio? :)

Bennard | 730 comments Commenting for the updates. And to wish Angus and Mae the very best in their F2F!

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Alexa, Benny: Thanks! See you soon. :)

Zim: Click the link sa message 1. It should take you to the audio book files. :)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Finally, mababasa ko na ang Lolita. Heee. Excited! Copy's ready! :)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Okay, I think I'm ready for this. :D *cracks knuckles*

message 9: by Zim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zim (zimdelapena) | 171 comments Thanks Angus! Uhmm may ebook ba kayo nito?

message 10: by Zim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zim (zimdelapena) | 171 comments Tina wrote: "Okay, I think I'm ready for this. :D *cracks knuckles*"

HAHA! Love the *crack knuckles* text haha! Ramdam ko siya haha! :)

message 11: by PATRICK (new) - added it

PATRICK (patrickdanque) | 16 comments YES OH YES! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVEN IF I HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE OF IT. I'll be joining you guys for the first time! I guess I have to borrow the book from the library all month. :)

message 12: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia | 4 comments Joined Goodreads just last August and was pleasantly surprised to see that Lolita is the book of the month for September.

Lolita is my favorite book OF ALL TIME.

Looking forward to the discussions. :)

message 13: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments yeah!!! try q sumali s drwing activity...i got a copy of the ebook n...wish ko lng sipgin ako mag bsa...this is one of the books that i have always wanted to read...so gud luck nlang sakin...

message 14: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah Obaob (noahbles) | 12 comments joining...

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Here's the epub copy.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hello Patrick, Mia, and Noah. It's nice to see a handful of new names here. We hope to see you around, especially sa culminating discussion at the end of the month. :)

Zim: message 1 is now updated. You can now download an ebook copy.

Mommy Louize: Thanks for the ebook copy!

message 17: by Zim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zim (zimdelapena) | 171 comments Thanks Angus!

Wahhh nagsimula na ko grabe nakakakilabot ung audiobook lalo na ung the way niya na sabihin ung... LO LEE TA <3

message 18: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Hello! This is Mae, reporting for duty. Angus has already posted the details so all I have to say for now is happy reading! :)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Zim: That's Jeremy Irons for you. ;)

Mae: Welcome aboard! :D

We will post stuff regarding the fist part of the reading plan within this week. Sorry, I'm a little behind. I've decided to get myself a copy of the Annotated Lolita (I've already reserved a copy at NBS - Rockwell and I've yet to pick it up tomorrow). I've already read this two years ago, and I figured I'd go for a different kind of Lolita with all the annotations smothered on the pages.

According to Mae, who's also reading the annotated version, it's not a must for first-time readers of the book to read this version. I share the same sentiment. Let the prose of Nabokov flow into you. Let us, your moderators, do the nitty-gritty work of sifting through the annotations. :)

message 20: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments I imagine the 1st part...the intro...i feel as though an englishman is reading that part....i'm using the ebook copy...hehehehe

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Jeremy Irons, the narrator, is an Englishman.

I sampled the audiobook. I can't help but picture Scar of Lion King while listening. Dangerous. Old/young love story might turn into beast/child love story in my head.

message 22: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments Maybe i'll DL the Audio copy...it might be a bit easy for me to finish it... hehehhehehehe...

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments I already read... Part One: 1. Hehe. Matry nga yung audio book para habang nasa work makausad ako. :)

message 24: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments @Meliza: tama.....pati sa pag uwi sahalip na Music yung Audio na lng papakinggan ko..

Bennard | 730 comments Hi guys! I was just browsing the web when I came across this Playboy interview with Vladimir Nabokov. I think you'll find this interesting but, be warned, there are some Lolita spoilers:

http://longform.org/stories/playboy-i...

message 26: by Angus (last edited Sep 03, 2013 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Thanks, Bennard. :)

Here's one more couple: from the Paris Review and from the New York Times. The latter is more of an interview with himself.

To inspire you not to hate Nabokov (probably because of the novel's subject), take a look at this rare BBC interview snippet:

Interviewer: Which is the worst thing men do?
Nabokov: To stink, to cheat, to torture.
Interviewer: Which is the best?
Nabokov: To be kind, to be proud, to be fearless.

message 27: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Angus: you had me at "fearless" :)

Will start this tonight!

message 28: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Benny: Thanks for the link! :)

Aaron: I have yet to listen to the audiobook but I can already imagine how Jeremy Irons would sound like. He plays Humbert in the 1997 film adaptation and was very good.

And speaking of films, aside from the 1997 version I mentioned, there is also a 1962 adaptation directed by Stanley Kubrick, the screenplay was written by Nabokov himself. For those of you who are into film adaptations, you guys should check them out. :)

message 29: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments share lang...

i was able to watch some of the scenes of Lolita the flim. and it was one of those provocative scenes...i was like wooh....i think that was one of the reasons why i wanted to read this book...i wanted to know why...

hehehehe

message 30: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah Obaob (noahbles) | 12 comments I read the first 8 chapters while commuting the rail transit last Sunday and I couldnt get myself to sink in with the narrators persona but upon listening to the audio, it transcends me in the time it was set or written. Now, when I go back to reading it while in transit earlier, I am now immersed.

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Done up to 20 of Part 1 last night. It's really good! Sick but good. It reminds me of why I am so fascinated reading about serial killers. It takes me to an entirely different frame of mind than the usual. Jeremy Irons as the narrator makes it even more so creepier.

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments And I love HH's wit! The chapter (view spoiler)

message 33: by Angus (last edited Sep 04, 2013 02:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Discussion for Week One:
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Questian (new) - added it

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments 1st love in terms of, your 1st BF or the very 1st guy that made your heart beat fast, even though it wasn't returned?

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments ^Whichever came first. Hence, the first one.

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Aha. Audiobook! Thank you, Angus!

message 37: by Ma. Lalaine (new) - added it

Ma. Lalaine (goodreadscomfirelightlalaine) | 15 comments I will read this with open mind. Haha!

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Currently downloading the audio book... Thanks to Angus! :)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Biena, Meliza: No biggie. I hope you enjoy it. And as Lalaine mentioned, listen to it with an open mind. :)

message 40: by Noah (new) - added it

Noah Obaob (noahbles) | 12 comments also with open heart and let Jeremy Irons' voice sift through your soul...LOL

message 41: by Maria Ella (last edited Sep 05, 2013 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments (Replying for updates). I shall read at my own pace. And I hope I am able to participate in this discussion soonest. :)

message 42: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia | 4 comments Just sharing an interesting write up on a book that features cover designs for Lolita. The essay is a fascinating read and it's nice to go through some of the designs featured in the book.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.ph...

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Been listening to it over and over, I want to let the story creep.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hi Mia, the post-discussion activity is based on that post (and a lot more that are scattered all throughout). Thanks for sharing it. :)

message 45: by Angus (last edited Sep 05, 2013 11:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Some interview excerpts:

On Nabokov's feelings about his work
(view spoiler)
On Nabokov's work habits
(view spoiler)
On things Nabokov likes most to do
(view spoiler)
On the subject of sexual attraction between pubescent girls and middle-aged men
(view spoiler)
On writing in longhand while standing
(view spoiler)
On Nabokov's lack of ear for music
(view spoiler)
On books Nabokov read as a boy
(view spoiler)
On Nabokov's reading habits
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia | 4 comments Oops, sorry guys. Guess I missed that one!

message 47: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Lolitaaaa! Hope this will be the time na matapos ko na din to haha ;)

message 48: by PATRICK (new) - added it

PATRICK (patrickdanque) | 16 comments @ Tricia: Third attempt ko na to. Laging first chapters lang kahit na love na love ko yung prose. :(

message 49: by Louize (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments First Love, First Rites

(view spoiler)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Some interesting stuff regarding the first part of the reading plan. These are mostly spoiler-free, but I'm putting them inside spoiler tags anyway. :D

(view spoiler)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lolita (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vladimir Nabokov (other topics)