Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month September 2013 - Prince of Thorns & Ender's Game

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners for September's BotM are as follows:
- FANTASY: Prince of Thorns
- SCI-FI: Ender's Game

As they came second in the polls, Stormdancer and Marrow will automatically be entered next month.

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month, but we will have an 'official' discussion thread towards the end of the month, around the time that the next book is chosen.

message 2: by Sana (new)

Sana (sanashams) Yayee, excited for Ender's Game!

message 3: by Sinead (new)

Sinead | 49 comments Great, looking forward to Enders Game, have already read Prince of Thorns, which I really enjoyed.

message 4: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Sinead wrote: "Great, looking forward to Enders Game, have already read Prince of Thorns, which I really enjoyed."

And I've already read Ender's Game, and am looking forward to Prince of Thorns ;D

message 5: by Sinead (new)

Sinead | 49 comments So already the one of each book a month is working ;)

message 6: by Pearl (new)

Pearl So originally i was going to read Prince of thorns, but after reading the first few pages as a sample on my kindle, i'm going to go with Ender's Game. Prince of Thorns should come with a trigger warning, rape, violence, pure evilness of a character. Not saying its bad, a lot of people like it, i'm just dont really like evil protagonists (i even have a hard time with anti heroes) That being sad, i am very excited to read the discussion about prince of thorns and i'm excited to read Enders Game. This two books of month thing is working out. :)

message 7: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1886 comments Mod
Will be all over Prince of Thorns - sat on my shelf ready to go. May give Ender's Game a go if I get a chance!

message 8: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (new)

Mpauli | 769 comments Mod
Yep, Prince of Thorns is definetely not for everyone. Of course, the beginning is more extreme than the rest, but especially for readers who prefer likeable or relateable characters, it might not be the right book.

message 9: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
Time to order Prince of Thorns :)

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Bah, I should've posted about the book when I bought it a few weeks ago - was half price on Amazon UK =/ I won't start this one for a little while but I will be reading it.

message 11: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Rinn wrote: "Bah, I should've posted about the book when I bought it a few weeks ago - was half price on Amazon UK =/ I won't start this one for a little while but I will be reading it."

Yeah :/ I picked mine up in a buy one get one half price from Waterstones a few months ago.

message 12: by Anya (new)

Anya (starsanddragons) | 10 comments I'm excited, I've been told I should read Prince of Thorns and I have the ARC sitting on my shelf still D: Hopefully it's not too different from the final version ;-)

Read Ender's Game already and don't want to reread since I have strong opinions about Card, but I might jump in to the general discussion :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (desdinova) I just started Prince of Thorns today and already I am enjoying it greatly. And I have read all Ender and Ender relate books so will Happily join in to any conversation regarding the book itself.

message 14: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (douglascfisher) | 34 comments Just picked up Prince of Thorns. That is a low page count for fantasy.

message 15: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Darren wrote: "Was there a poll for Scifi? I know I voted on the fantasy (grimdark won... :()but I looked several times for a similar scifi thread, to no avail."

On my page it was the sci-fi poll that showed up automatically, but if you click the "Polls" button up on the top right you can see both (plus all of the old polls too). I'm pretty sure Rinn would have sent you a link to both of them when she put them up though.

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Nic wrote: "Darren wrote: "Was there a poll for Scifi? I know I voted on the fantasy (grimdark won... :()but I looked several times for a similar scifi thread, to no avail."

On my page it was the sci-fi poll ..."

The link I sent should have just been to the general polls page, and the two polls for the BotM would have been the top two. They were both set as 'featured', it may have randomly rotated between which was first.

I didn't think there WAS a direct link to each poll, but now I realise there is although it's awkward. You get it via the poll comments...

message 17: by James (new)

James Robinson (fsd333) | 5 comments Pearl wrote: "So originally i was going to read Prince of thorns, but after reading the first few pages as a sample on my kindle, i'm going to go with Ender's Game. Prince of Thorns should come with a trigger wa..."

Pearl, I usually like books with antiheroes and was still a little shocked at the beginning of prince of thorns, but I'm glad I did not stop reading. It's a great series.
I really wanted to read Enders Game, but, I find Card a real life evil protagonist, and just can't contribute to his hate buy purchasing one of his books.

message 18: by Helen (new)

Helen French (helenfrench) | 37 comments I have just started Prince of Thorns and also didn't like the early pages, with the rapes and murders. Pretty grim stuff.

But the writing is good and you do begin to understand the character more as the story goes on. I'm about halfway through and will definitely see it to the end. Just not sure if I'd buy any more yet.

As for OSC... I love Ender's Game, though it's been many years since I've read it. It's a great introduction to sci-fi book to recommend to people. But OSC is a bigot so I don't buy his books any more. Not sure whether to see the movie or not!

message 19: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2938 comments Mod
Given Card's issues with being so rabidly anti gay rights, I will not be reading Ender's Game. I will try and get Prince of Thorns from the library as life permits.

message 20: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kmucha31) | 42 comments Just finished Prince of Thorns within two days of getting it. While the violence and rape is a little out there, I don't really think it's that graphic. In my mind it's comparable with A Song of Ice and Fire in how out of there the series is. While A Song of Ice and Fire doesn't have scenes with rape, it is mentioned and even discussed for lengthy sections through out the book.

All in all, I enjoyed Prince of Thorns and am already started on it's sequel.

message 21: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (douglascfisher) | 34 comments I'm wondering if the official Prince of Thorns discussion section should open up earlier with the book being so short. I have less than 100 pages left. Will likely finish in the next day or two.

message 22: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Douglas wrote: "I'm wondering if the official Prince of Thorns discussion section should open up earlier with the book being so short. I have less than 100 pages left. Will likely finish in the next day or two."

I agree, just finished it this afternoon.

message 23: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
To be fair, the overall book discussions can open whenever, so long as the thread is labelled clearly there shouldn't be any issues :) I've created the Prince of Thorns one, hopefully I'll shoot through it once it arrives!

message 24: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yep, this is not the place for book discussion! No spoiler warnings ;)

I'll lock this thread now so that the discussion ends up in the right place.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.