Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
This topic is about Insurgent
Archive - Award Winners > Insurgent - September 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4066 comments Mod
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Insurgent is this month's Choice Award Winning Read.

Book summary:
One choice can transform you, or destroy you.

Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

--------

This is the second book in the Divergent series. Last month's group read of Divergent resulted in a good discussion (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... ), were you eager to start Insurgent?

(Vanessa is this book's discussion leader but as she's currently sunning herself on holiday I have started the thread for anyone who wants to start discussing it).

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments After I finished Divergent, I read Insurgent immediately, so I'm ready for the discussion. I decided to read Insurgent earlier than the group date, cause I was really curious about the future of Divergent world and the main characters.

The first book wasn't the most original and gripping dystopian ever, but I found it interesting and worth continuing.

I'm really interested in others' thought on this read.

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Thank you Lynn. That's very kind of you! :D

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4066 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: "Thank you Lynn. That's very kind of you! :D"

Heh, you came on anyway! I thought you'd be too busy having a wonderful time :) Enjoy the rest of your time and we'll see you back on here soon.

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 32 comments I started this book the day after I finished Divergent, and finished it the day after that (which was this morning, haha). I expected some kind of twist at the end (view spoiler)

Excited for Allegiant!

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments I began Insurgent the same evening I finished Divergent. I'm not finished yet but am so relieved to find the 2nd book as good as the 1st. This doesn't always happen in series tales, does it?

message 7: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with Lorrie, Insurgent is one of the few "second" books that can state that they are as good as the previous book!!

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments Wish we didn't have to wait so long for the 3rd one, Vanessa!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5941 comments Mod
Lorrie wrote: "Wish we didn't have to wait so long for the 3rd one, Vanessa!"

That's why I waited to read this one after Divergent! I heard Insurgent has a terrible cliffhanger.

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments A cliffhanger?!?!? Oh, no!

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

That's what I've heard. I almost read Insurgent months ago, but everyone said it's easier to wait to read Insurgent than it is to wait to read Allegiant. Fortunately the last one will be out fairly soon.

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments Well, I promise to keep the cliffhanging secret to myself. Maybe when I finish I'll have time to get to that book that we both have waiting on our shelves, Kristie. :)

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

lol...I know! It's been waiting for a while. In all fairness, it made you wait for a long time too, so it's only fair that it had to wait on your TBR. :)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments Now that logic I like!!! It'll be waiting........

Tiffany Heater | 13 comments Book 3 comes out Oct 22. I can't wait!

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2013 03:38PM) (new) - added it

We're doing a buddy read of Allegiant in November, if anyone is interested. I figured that would give people some time to get the book.

It begins November 20th and the link is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments Thanks, Tiff. i'm putting 10-22 on my calendar.

Tiffany Heater | 13 comments Lorrie wrote: "Thanks, Tiff. i'm putting 10-22 on my calendar."

lol, I keep checking the date on my kindle. I'm not going to lie, I thought on August 30 that next month was October. lol. Its been on the top 100 books bought on kindle for months now, and all you can do is pre-order it!

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments I think I'll just wait & order it on kindle on 10-22. I definitely won't overlook that date! :)

Caitlin Sheehan | 4 comments I read Divergent a long time ago, when it first came out and when Insurgent came out I held off on reading it for months because I didn't want to deal with another cliff hanger (which sounds weird, but I do this A LOT). But I finally read Insurgent and I didn't love it as much as I did Divergent. Maybe that's just me, but I just didn't get into it quite as much, but I did think that it set Allegiant up to be amazing, so I can't wait!

Brittany (gentlebean) | 30 comments This was the series I read immediately after Hunger Games and both stories are what influenced me to start reading YA dystopian fiction. I think this is a great read! Pre-ordered my copy of Allegiant a while back - can't wait!

Regina Foo (reginafoomy) Just started Insurgent last night after the completion of Divergent. So far I'm still okay with the plot but not as enjoyable while I was reading Divergent. Let's see if I'm able to get the same excitement from Divergent. :)

message 23: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

What do you think of the way Tris is handling her grief in Insurgent?

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 1 comments I don't think Tris is handling her grief well at all. She's also struggling with guilt over what happened at the end of Divergent, so I guess she has a lot going on and can't really be expected to be dealing with things appropriately. I think she'd be on the path to healing a lot faster if she would just be honest with the people around her.

I didn't like Insurgent as much as I liked Divergent. I don't think it was a total second-book slump, but it didn't seem as intense and intriguing as the first book.

Are we supposed to mark things that happened in Divergent as spoilers or just assume that everyone here has read the first book already? You'll notice I was vague about the end of Divergent because I wasn't sure how we are handling it...

message 25: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good question Kate. I think we can assume people have read Divergent here but that they might not have finished Insurgent YET.

Kelli (dolphinie13) | 16 comments I agree with the sentiments that this was good, but not nearly as good as Divergent. I liked the continuation of the world, and found many characters intriguing. I got a little annoyed with the love story angle, but that's just because I tended to like the action better.

As for Tris and her grief, well I'd say that she isn't really handling it at all. I think she's putting it on the back burner and doing her damndest to not think about what she's lost so that she can navigate this strange "new" world she seems to have plunged into. Her world was turned upside down, and it seems to be up to her to save it; no time for grief.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments RitaSkeeter, that was definitely the most surprising event for me, too, and difficult to believe!

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Perhaps it is some kind of deception in deception or something close to it, but so far I'm shattered by this event.

Kristel (kristelrose) | 6 comments I started reading Insurgent yesterday and it is really good! I think it is as good as Divergent, maybe better if the greatness continues. Because there is more action and backstory in this book, which is understandable because it is the second book.. but it's way better than I expected!

Grainne | 17 comments When is the divergent movie coming out in Ireland? I would really like to know

message 31: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Elizabeth (susan_e_lizabeth) I seem to be the opposite as most people here - I read Divergent when it first came out and am just reading Insurgent now. I wish I'd read it right away because during the first few chapters of Insurgent, I was having trouble remembering where we left off.

As far as Tris' grief, I think she's trying to act too tough. She's trying to convince us and everyone around her that she's Dauntless and moves on quickly. All of this is causing her to act brashly (with Peter, with Marcus, with Evelyn). She seems to almost have forgotten that there are people out there wiser than her.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Susan, I agree with your opinion on Tris' behaviour. I also think she is extremely egocentric in this part and reckless. Just like wishing to be rescued instead of making things better. She wasn't my favourite character in this part.

I also found this book too packed with action. I felt tired in the end with all those twists and turns, and sometimes bewildered by the low possibility of certain events. On the other hand I understand that this story is for entertainment rather than highly philosophical purpose.

Despite all those drawbacks, I am glad that I've read this book, and I definitely want to know what is going to happen in Allegiant. I even preordered it last month LOL.

Grainne | 17 comments Is it all ready out?

Tiffany Heater | 13 comments Grainne wrote: "Is it all ready out?"

October 22

Tiffany Heater | 13 comments Tiffany wrote: "Grainne wrote: "Is it all ready out?"

October 22"

Im sorry, Divergent and Insurgent are out. Allegiant comes out Oct 22.

Grainne | 17 comments Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for letting me know:)

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Sep 19, 2013 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah | 1467 comments Just started. It has been a minute since Divergent. It is good to come back to the story. And I have figured it out -Amity is the hippie commune:)

Sarah | 1467 comments I think Tris is not dealing with her grief because she is simply in survival mode. But I am only like 10 pages in.

Sarah | 1467 comments OK now I am on page 130, two and a half hours later, and discovered Candor is also known as the AA meeting. I love renaming these factions. If you remember my post from Divergent, Dauntless was Faction Stupid.

message 40: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Elizabeth (susan_e_lizabeth) @Anima - After reading your comment about the book being too packed with action, I got to this quote in the book, "I think we're past keeping track of who has saved whose life." (Tobias to Tris) Even the characters can't keep up with all the action!

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments ::like::

Sarah | 1467 comments Is nobody concerned about how much violence people get off on for entertainment? This book has a lot of kids killing kids in a book that is written for complete entertainment. What do you think this says about society today?

message 43: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah, I think Lord of the Flies was waaaaay more violent and disturbing than Insurgent. And it was published in the 50s. However, I agree that this book is violent but no more than most contemporary movies and books.

message 44: by Sarah (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah | 1467 comments For me this book, all though could raise a lot of moral questions about society and human nature, I guess, reads more like a movie and I don't get much depth from it due to the cheesey love story, cheesey characters, and fifth grade writing style. As I am reading I am more just involved in the forward momentum of the story, not stopping to have much deep insights or thoughts. I do find it entertaining, just like I would a movie, but it really got laughable for me when (view spoiler) This was just so ridiculous to me. Way too cheesy.

message 45: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Elizabeth (susan_e_lizabeth) @Sarah - I definitely agree. The first book I found entertaining because we were introduced to this new world and experiencing its customs through Tris. The second book was a lot of mindless action and he-loves-me/he-loves-me-not babble. I wanted to know what was on the other side of the fence and I want to know what happens, so I kept reading.

Emily | 8 comments Susan wrote: "@Sarah - I definitely agree. The first book I found entertaining because we were introduced to this new world and experiencing its customs through Tris. The second book was a lot of mindless action..."

It's so true. I loved Divergent so much and I found Insurgent to be lacking. But I'm still excited for Allegiant.

Rhonda | 6 comments I finished Insurgent today-- I definitely prefer Divergent. I liked this one, but it seemed as if it was written mainly to get us excited for the next one to come out. I really disliked the fact that Tris' brother Caleb is a traitor!

Sarah | 1467 comments It seems to me that everyone has seemed to be a traitor at some point.

message 49: by Arushi (last edited Sep 25, 2013 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arushi Sethi | 3 comments everyone was raving about how insurgent was way better than divergent(in my school), but to me insurgent came as too fast and with a dire need to slow down a bit to give the readers a sink in....i am disappointed....all of this said, am definitely looking forward to allegiant...i just hope it matches up to my expectation :)

Grainne | 17 comments I can't wait for the next book. It has to be great. I got lots and lots of girls in my class to read divergent and they all loved it.

« previous 1