Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Passage (The Passage, #1)
This topic is about The Passage
Archive - Series Reads > The Passage - September 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 350 (350 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome to The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin series read :-)

Goodreads Synopsis

“It happened fast. Thirty-two minutes for one world to die, another to be born.”

First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear—of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.

As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he’s done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey—spanning miles and decades—towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun.

With The Passage , award-winning author Justin Cronin has written both a relentlessly suspenseful adventure and an epic chronicle of human endurance in the face of unprecedented catastrophe and unimaginable danger. Its inventive storytelling, masterful prose, and depth of human insight mark it as a crucial and transcendent work of modern fiction.

Other covers: The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Passage by Justin Cronin The Passage by Justin Cronin

Here's a tentative schedule. If you fall behind, don't worry about it and if you read faster than the schedule just be mindful that if you
talk about parts not read by others please put the comments in a spoiler tag. Having noted that, please be expectant of spoilers.

This book is somewhat of a chunkster at around 784 pages (depending on which edition you read). We will be reading this together as a group up to and including September 15th, so if you read around 55 pages a day you will finish it by the 15th :-).

I'm looking forward to all of your thoughts on this book :-)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm really excited for this read :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Me too Anima!

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments ::like::

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5947 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to this one too. I'm sure I'll be behind. I'm back in school in three days and starting my internship. :p I'll join in as I go.

Bill Paugh I started the book on Tuesday this week. It is a re-read for me. I am doing a combination of reading and audio book. I am surprised at how much I have forgotten from the first reading in 2010. I remembered the highlights, but this time I seem to be noticing the detail quite a bit more. I am enjoying it.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Kristie and Bill :-).

No pressures on reading; we all will do it at our own pace. I just put up that schedule so I knew I'd be finished by the 15th, lol (in time to start the Dark Tower 2nd book Discussion, ... no rest for the...lol)

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments I downloaded the book today. Someone told me the audio version is really good. I may download that and listen to it when I do my evening walks.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yay Karlee, looking forward to your thoughts. I started it today.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments This book is huge! I have the hardcover edition, all brand new and mine and I am going to have muscles in my arm from lugging it around, lol

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Holy crap, not what I was expecting at all. Just finished the first chapter and I have all these stupid tears running down my face.

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments I have heard the book is huge! Cathie I want before and after pictures of your arms! You're muscles will be huge!

message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments I started it a bit ago, and I'm about 1/3 through. I really like this one. There are a lot of characters, which adds layers of complexity, and their stories are interconnected, which I like. I found some of the passages very moving.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yep Karlee, I wills be muscle woman :-) This book is not just your average brain workout book; it exercises you body too.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Just as in ancient Sparta, Cathie, they worked both on their body and mind :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments ::like::

message 18: by thewanderingjew (last edited Sep 02, 2013 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

thewanderingjew | 97 comments I liked book 1 of "The Passage" so much (I listened to it driving to and from Florida to CT), that I also listened to book 2, which I didn't feel was as good, but both were great company on the road, even if, in the listening, I missed a few important moments. It was worth the listen for a long drive, but keep in mind, it is what it is, not rocket science but a science fiction tale meant to entertain, and that it did.
Book 1:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Book 2:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/...

Felina I was opposite. I liked the first one but wasn't blown away. It was definitely good enough to make me excited for the second one. And I thought the second one was amazing. I'd like to try them on audio though.

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Felina wrote: "I was opposite. I liked the first one but wasn't blown away. It was definitely good enough to make me excited for the second one. And I thought the second one was amazing.

Since I do like the first one, I'm really looking forward to the second one! Thanks for the tip!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I already bought these books for the BOM read, but I'm thinking that I may try the audio version. People seem to really enjoy the audio version and, as Cathie said, the books are huge. I can not carry it around with me! I might actually get to it in September if I go with the audio. :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Get the audio then Kristie and join us :-)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments So, where is everyone in the book?

I'm in the middle of chapter 5, pg. 77 and I'm really enjoying the story so far. I like how the characters backgrounds are being introduced and the different formats/stles in portraying the information ie. the 2nd chapter in email format etc

Do you have any favorite characters yet?

My heart goes out to Amy and I like Sister Lacey's character and Grey and believe it or not Carter.

Daneen Wood | 2 comments This is my first venture into the book club and I am loving this book. I love to read but don't seem to find the time so I am hoping by joining this group I will be able to stay on top of my reading. i can't wait to see how the beginning chapters get integrated back into the story. Great book so far.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome Daneen; so glad you've joined us :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds too :-)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie wrote: "Get the audio then Kristie and join us :-)"

I'm trying Cathie! I just put a hold on it at the library. Hopefully, it will come in by the end of the week. :)

message 27: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Cathie wrote: "Holy crap, not what I was expecting at all. Just finished the first chapter and I have all these stupid tears running down my face."

Totally intrigued now! Won't be able to get to this just yet though ..... will have to be patient!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Lynn, I think you will really enjoy this one.

Michelle (shelld79) Wow, I swear everyone on Goodreads is reading this book at the moment. I keep seeing it everywhere!
I'm almost finished ( about 95%) and I loved how it started, got very frustrated and a little lost in the middle but am now intrigued to see how it will end.
I started reading it on my kindle but am finishing it off on audio as I found it easier to get through it while driving around for work. Otherwise I'd still be reading it this time next year!!

message 30: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Is anyone else having a problem with it on Kindle? I'll be reading along and suddenly have 4-6 blank pages, and then the narrative picks up somewhere else. I have to shut down and restart my Kindle Fire to correct. I thought maybe it was because of the length.

Wanted to know if it was only me before I reported the problems.

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Cathie wrote: " So, where is everyone in the book?
I haven't even started! lol
I'm very busy these days and I wanted to finish The Gunslinger first, but I'll try and squeeze it in somewhere :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments We'll be here waiting for ya Cin *waves*

message 33: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments So, where is everyone in the book?

I'm 36% through or pg 277 of 771, in what I hope is a middle section about a settlement. Primitive dwelling and subsistence life on a colony. No favorite characters in this section.

Do you have any favorite characters yet?

I liked Lacey and came to sympathize with Wolfgast. And I'm with Cathie, in that I came to sympathize with Carter.

message 34: by LB (new) - rated it 5 stars

LB (lbandj) | 12 comments I am done... I wasn't sure how long it would take me to read, so I started early and finished early lol It was a really compelling read, actually, I didn't want to put it down. It was a little slow in the middle, and I think he could have trimmed it up a bit, and really the ending was kind of a non-event to me? But I really liked it! Can't wait to read the next one.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Awwww end of Chapter 1. Can not imagine ever ever ever ever being able to or want to do that !!!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments That's the way I felt Heather.

message 37: by Madan (new) - added it

Madan | 1 comments This is my first book club and my first Justin Cronin.

Synopsis got me hooked, really excited for this read....

message 38: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1467 comments I will have to join this one the later part of the month but people's comments have really gotten me more intrigued. This will be a new genre for me.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Glad you will be joining in Sarah.

message 40: by Michael (last edited Sep 04, 2013 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael I'm listening on audio for another week, then will switch to ebook so it doesn't take forever (37 hours) to listen to it. The audio narrator's voice is not what I expected, but he is doing a great job with the reading and the inflections.

So far I am really hooked. I am particularly impressed with the first chapter because there was nothing at all in there supernatural or science fiction-y, it was just human drama and he moved me to tears and had me terrified in spots. So I would say Justin Cronin is a great storyteller so far. That particular talent also reminds me a bit of Stephen King.

Michael Cathie wrote: "Holy crap, not what I was expecting at all. Just finished the first chapter and I have all these stupid tears running down my face."

Exactly!

Michael Felina wrote: "I was opposite. I liked the first one but wasn't blown away. It was definitely good enough to make me excited for the second one. And I thought the second one was amazing. I'd like to try them on a..."

That makes sense, since the sequel is actually the one that won the award and the reason we are reading this one! (I hope I have the same experience, will be disappointed if not!!)

message 43: by Som (new) - rated it 5 stars

Som Have added this to TBR. Synopsis is dope, hope the book is too.
Will start after Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children and The night circus, halfway there, on both of these books.
Cheers Cathie. Nice pick. (:

message 44: by Cathie (last edited Sep 04, 2013 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Look forward to you joining us Som. Yep, this read is dope :-)

Series reads are picked because they lead up the BOTM,
(the award winner in it's respective category) which next month is The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin

April | 18 comments Picked up a copy today, will start reading tonight...

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Looking forward to your thoughts on this read April.

message 47: by Brightness (last edited Sep 04, 2013 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments I ended up downloading the audio version and listening to the first two chapters on my walk tonight. Chapter one was not at all what I was expecting! I actually teared up a little. But chapter two has me totally hooked now. Whoa! I think I will be walking a lot more for the next week or so. ;)

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darn!! I don't want to wait! *stomps feet* You guys are killing me. What is this first chapter that makes everyone tear up?!?! Starting soon!!

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Kristie it's $6.83 on kindle right now. ;)

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I already bought the book and just picked up the audio from the library today, but haven't had any time! Lol. I'm in the middle of a bunch of others and was hoping to wrap up one or two first. I'm planning to start next week, but I may start early. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7