UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Book blurb competition.

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 01, 2013 12:19AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I'm going to be starting off the monthly books again soon. I have this crazy idea....

Send me a 50 word blurb for your book. The blurb must not contain the title or author. We will post the blurbs up and vote for the one that is most likely to get us to read the book.

The winning (4) books get to be our next books of the month.

Get blurbing. PM your blurbs to me with the book title and author name.

50 word limit strictly enforced for this one.

Deadline 7th September for entries.
Voting starts 8th September for one week.

Don't post blurb here.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Oh... Please put "blurb competition" in the subject of the PM

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments First entry already in.

I know 50 words is a bit tough but it stops a cut and paste of the first chapter.

Also please remember to add your name and the book title. I am quite senile and don't always remember who wrote what!

message 4: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:35AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Ok, second entry in and disqualified.

This is a STRICT 50 word competition. 51 is one too many. If I am in a good mood I will reply asking you to have another go, if I'm not I will just delete your entry and you will wonder why you don't appear on the list of entries.

So the rules really aren't that difficult :
1. Maximum 50 words
2. Title and Author must NOT appear in the blurb
3. Add your title and name at the end so I know.
4. PM your entry to me. Don't put it here
5. Put 'Blurb Competition' in the subject of your PM

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rather good idea this, Simon!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am learning to live with my genius Patti :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm too tired to think up a witty comeback to that, so I'll just say pffffft.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments Dennis, it's by PM to Simon. Better delete before anyone notices as blurbs are meant to be anonymous!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Honestly.

READ THE REQUIREMENTS!!!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Blurbs are rolling in quite nicely now. Three Davids have entered so you see it is important you tell me who you are and what your book title is.

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Any Goliaths?

message 12: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments Yep but I haven't sent it yet!

Cheers

MTM

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am getting great entries. I think 50 words might be the sweet spot for blurbs.

message 14: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments It's definitely a challenge :~?

message 15: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments It's probably cheating. To be honest, Jim wrote most of mine.

Cheers

MTM

message 16: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Johnson Ok, dumb question: PM?

What does it mean to PM a message to you? (It's late here)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments PM is private message. Just click my name on this reply.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments You will see an option to send me a message.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments OK, entries are closed.

Now I am in trouble. I had a huge response. Too many to do a single vote!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Serves you right.

Was a stupid idea.

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I thought it was excellent. Except possibly in the execution! ;)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I have 40 entries. Miraculously no disqualifications for going over 50 words, only one author couldn't remember his/her name and one author managed to put the title in the blurb but sent a correction before I could disqualify him/her.

Only the most determined of members will read 40 entries and vote so I don't think that is going to work.

Would you read 10?

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Yes.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 10 seems a lot to choose from.

Will we be posting the top four? If so, 10 might be okay.

Go with first, come first served and we've got group reads sorted for the next four months.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh and I assume previous group reads aren't eligible.

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments They shouldn't be, should they? Who'd read them again?

message 27: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 07, 2013 05:05AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I didn't exclude previous group reads. I know some people will have already read them but also membership has twisted and turned.

I have just read all 40. It doesn't take long if there are only 50 words. Some authors managed to use all 50 and others were more economical.

I think I will do groups of ten in strict first come/first served order.

One winner from each group gets on the monthly reads. The winner gets to choose a book of the month (not their own).

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Huh?

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments So that's two books? Their own, as voted for buy blurb, and another of their choice. Or am i over-complicating this?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm confused too

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Yes, two books accounted for in each month. Their book, and their book choice.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Ah... I see how I have confused you now. They don't choose a book from the blurb list - they choose a book from the trillions that have been published in eBook format.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Right. So are you wanting our top 2 votes so 2 of them and 2 of their choice will be the monthly reads?

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments That makes 4. :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I don't think the vote allows you to vote twice. Two books a month from this competition, the winning entry and the authors choice.

Maybe one or two from Oak Tree. Maybe the occasional unilateral from me and also the 'author just dropped dead' specials.

message 36: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Could you perhaps go for 1st and 2nd, plus their choice of book.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I think I will see how the voting goes. We aren't that big on votes. I might get ten ties because only the authors vote.

message 38: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Not for their own books, surely?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I don't think the vote allows you to vote twice. Two books a month from this competition, the winning entry and the authors choice.

Maybe one or two from Oak Tree. Maybe the occasional unilateral ..."

That makes sense and sounds great to me.