True Love 101 discussion

The MacKade Brothers: Rafe and Jared (MacKades #1-2)
This topic is about The MacKade Brothers
Contemporary Romance > Nora Roberts Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments The group read for September is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

Note : If you can only get a copy of one of the books (this is a 2 book volume), please feel free to only read and discuss the book which you have. It is not mandatory to have to read both books in order to join in on the discussion.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments yay!

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments Is it just me or does "juices" make you wince?

message 4: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Every time.

Samantha | 463 comments Ian wrote: "Is it just me or does "juices" make you wince?"

All the time!

Samantha | 463 comments I'll wait for people to discuss. I've read this book some time ago.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments I'm only reading the second in the series The Pride of Jared MacKade. It's not too bad at the moment...quite a surprising trope flip.

Samantha | 463 comments I enjoyed these. It was what I needed at that time.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments Something I'm finding a little confronting (strangely). The smoking. I enjoy a Cuban cigar from time to time but never around children, and never in a public space where others have to deal with it as well.

Was smoking in restaurants really acceptable when this book was written? I can't remember.

Samantha | 463 comments Oddly enough, it might have been. I think only recently(a few years back) they banned smoking. It depends on the state too.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments Australian laws about smoking are probably close to the strictest in the world. We have plain packaging laws so no pretty pictures of beaches on the pack or cute camels. This is what a smoker sees when he / she buys a pack of cigarettes (confronting image of some of the diseases caused by smoking so in spoilers)

(view spoiler)

Cigarette advertising is pretty much completely banned over here...cigarettes aren't even allowed to be displayed in shops.

I'm reasonably sure smoking in pubs clubs and restaurants has been banned since the early 1990s over here. I think it's even against the law to smoke in your own car if there is a child in the car with you.

I kind of think it's interesting seeing things like that.

Samantha | 463 comments I didn't see the image but I can imagine it's pretty gross. I find the "truth" commercials over here very interesting. They always give those facts about what would happen if you buy cigarettes.

I wonder how that would work if they ban smoking in the cars over here. I see people doing that all the time.

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Just picked up combo hardback book from my library. Will start reading Tues.

message 14: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments i have the ebook reserved at te library - but for an old books - its popular - i'm 5th on the lsit...so who knows if i'll get it this month or not...

I do remember reading it probably close to 10 years ago though

message 15: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Ian wrote: "Australian laws about smoking are probably close to the strictest in the world. We have plain packaging laws so no pretty pictures of beaches on the pack or cute camels. This is what a smoker sees..."

As a nonsmoker, and my husband is one year smoke-free, I think that is wonderful, lol.

message 16: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Sorry, I haven't started this yet, but I DO have the book!

I'm hoping to get started by mid-week, around Sept. 11th or 12th.

Is anyone else currently reading them? Ian, have you finished?

message 17: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I'm going to be reading it next week, I think anyway.

message 18: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Good - I might not get to it until then... but I'm trying!

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments I got a little annoyed with something and put it down. In your typical romance genre trope Jared said something to Savannah (view spoiler) which I think is kind of unforgiveable...if a guy said that to a woman anywhere near me, I'd probably drag him outside and whoop him.

And then in the space of 5 minutes Savannah had forgiven him. My grumpiness has settled and I'm about to recommence (that's a word that should be used more) after I've finished Running Against Traffic which is very good folks...just saying.

message 20: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Ian, thanks for the warning! I'd probably smash the guy in the nose for that comment!

message 21: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments this finally came in at the library - but its a re-read for me (although I don't remember much of it from before)

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments @Lori ... you read my previous spoiler so this isn't really a spoiler for you. Watch the video clip it's like being punched in the gut.

(view spoiler)

Samantha | 463 comments Ian wrote: "I got a little annoyed with something and put it down. In your typical romance genre trope Jared said something to Savannah [spoilers removed] which I think is kind of unforgiveable...if a guy said..."

I did have issues with Jared. Kind of judgemental from what I remembered.

message 24: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments I'm going to read this next week... Can't wait!

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments The Pride of Jared MacKade

Jared was a bit of a jerk. I didn't much like him. But the book ended well. Kind of a little dated but not too bad.

Samantha | 463 comments Are you going to read the other story, Ian?

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments Samantha wrote: "Are you going to read the other story, Ian?"

It isn't available over here for some reason. I could have bought the book which contained the first two stories but it probably wouldn't have arrived in time.

Samantha | 463 comments Oh ok.

message 29: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments I finished up Rafe today - I vaguely remember reading back in my early romacne days - it came out when I was in high school and I read it when it was a newish release I think. I was surprised how much of it I remember - the scenes with the furniture was what I remembered the most. This might have been one of her earliest ventures into PNR type romance

message 30: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments Started this... I read the first chapter, can't wait to read more.

message 31: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments i started it too. I'm up to chapter 2. So far it's alright.

message 32: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments I'm to chap 2 also... I haven't had much time to read today. I'm waiting for the supernatural aspect to start.

message 33: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Chapter 6 now, but that's 45%. It's really a super fast book. i don't think it'll take you very long to catch up, haha.

message 34: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments lol! Wow, I better get reading...

message 35: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Starting today... it's a hard back book, which is part of my reluctance. I just don't always have it to hand. So sad to say, too. I never thought I'd be part of the Kindle revolution!

Anyway, in earnest reading today so I can catch up.

message 36: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments It's crazy fast guys. At the start my Kindle said it was only about 2 1/2 hours of reading long.

message 37: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments did you finish Wendy? I'm again the worst buddy read partner... haven't sat down today so I haven't read anything. Ugh!

message 38: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (last edited Sep 17, 2013 05:18PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments No, Jeff had a root canal today so he's home. Very little reading for me this afternoon. We watched DWTS, and now Sleepy Hollow. Then we're watching Dad's, then New Girl, lol. Then Sons, so there will be zero reading for me this evening. I'm at 50%.

message 39: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments Leea wrote: "I'm to chap 2 also... I haven't had much time to read today. I'm waiting for the supernatural aspect to start."

its very lite supernatural...kinda like her Garden series (have you read those)

message 40: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments No, Dee. This is my second Roberts book. I hope to read more tomorrow... catch up to Wendy :)

message 41: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments I actually liked the Garden series - they are her longer books, not the harlequin type ones - its focused around a family in TN - and trying to find out about a ghost who haunts the house...the first book is Blue Dahlia

message 42: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I don't think i've read those either. I've read a lot of Nora Roberts though, lol. So many they all run together a bit for me.

message 43: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments I finished. It was just so-so.

Samantha | 463 comments Dee wrote: "I actually liked the Garden series - they are her longer books, not the harlequin type ones - its focused around a family in TN - and trying to find out about a ghost who haunts the house...the fir..."

Someone told me to read Blue Dahlia. It's an older book.

message 45: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Finished! Really enjoyed Roberts' ability to generate heat without the blow by blow.

Related too much to Reagan, even though our lives are different. Jared and Savannah annoyed me, but I like her kid. Both J and S needed to be slapped for some of what they did and said.

Is it me or did these stories seem very 90s? Very in their time, but outdated attitudes? I will say the other 2 brothers have me intrigued. I might have to read their stories.

message 46: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1688 comments Yes, it seemed totally 90ish. I kept having to remind myself it was not a HR. Lol. It wasn't my favorite but I agree about Roberts ability to write passion w/o the step by step description.

message 47: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 650 comments I only read the The Pride of.... I thought it was OK...it had all the usual clichés... single mother done wrong, skampish son, divorced hero, poor heroine / wealthy hero.

I don't mind that so much but what I mentioned earlier really bugged me. NR can write some good books but occasionally she writes some complete disasters (Blue Smoke was torture). This was somewhere in the middle.

I kind of wonder if she has a few ghostwriters now. She seems to write too many books to be doing it all herself and there is quite a difference in some of them.

message 48: by Dee (last edited Sep 21, 2013 05:59AM) (new) - added it

Dee (austhokie) | 846 comments it was originally written in 1995, which is probably why the 90's feel ;)

it seems right now her currently writing sked is 1 stand-alone mysery/suspense a year; 1-2 contemporary type romances (like her wedding planners/or the hotel series) and then 1 JD Robb - so only 3-4 books a year...

Samantha | 463 comments Dee wrote: "it was originally written in 1995, which is probably why the 90's feel ;)

it seems right now her currently writing sked is 1 stand-alone mysery/suspense a year; 1-2 contemporary type romances (lik..."

Yep.

Samantha | 463 comments Ian wrote: "I only read the The Pride of.... I thought it was OK...it had all the usual clichés... single mother done wrong, skampish son, divorced hero, poor heroine / wealthy hero.

I don't mind that so m..."

I had a conversation with one of my friends about this. She pumps the books out so fast. I had wondered if she had a ghost rider...some do have a different style.

« previous 1