Victorians! discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
Archived Group Reads 2013 > North and South - the miniseries

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments If you have seen the excellent miniseries of North and South, discuss it here!

Daisy | 6 comments I absolutely LOVE the North and South miniseries! Richard Armitage plays a perfect Thornton I think ;) that voice, that face, lol! The music was very fitting as well.

Anyone else agree?

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary694) | 4 comments The theme music was very beautiful! I could listen to it over and over again. Richard Armitage was one of the highlights of the series, I think. I agree with you that his portrayal of Thornton was very good. Overall, the characters seemed quite close to their book counterparts.

Sarah I agree. I think that this was one of the best miniseries as far as accuracy and staying true to the novel was concerned. Even the symbolism of the rose at the beginning and end was preserved. I loved it!

message 5: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie | 83 comments I loved it.

Becky | 170 comments It's the only time I've thought Armitage was attractive, but I really loved North and South particularly Thornton, and it just led to the "fictional" crush, lol. Thornton is more my type than Mr. Darcy

message 7: by Samraghni (new)

Samraghni (femme-lisant) | 1 comments I loved the miniseries. It was fairly accurate, the performances were quite remarkable, the background score was beautiful, and most importantly, its portrayal of the contrast between North and South was symbolic and brilliant.

message 8: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie | 83 comments I've only seen the TV series - but going by what everyone is saying here I'll have to read the book. I'm sure its on my shelf - somewhere!

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments I saw the series long before I read the novel, and love both. Richard Armitage is gorgeous, dark, and brooding (hmmm, would he make a good Heathcliff?). Even though I'm not going to read the novel this time around, I just may pull out the miniseries and watch it.

Viktorija (ViktorijaWinters) | 4 comments I could watch this all day with a snuggie and a bucket of Ben & Jerry's. Richard is smoldering. I found the miniseries to be better than the book sadly...and that ending was just right (:

Lealia (snarkysghost) | 1 comments I can't believe I just found this forum. I love North and South the miniseries. The music is so good. The actor choices were well done, as well. Margret was not quite what I expected, but she was so good. I love this collection even more than P&P.

Viktorija (ViktorijaWinters) | 4 comments LoveLea wrote: "I can't believe I just found this forum. I love North and South the miniseries. The music is so good. The actor choices were well done, as well. Margret was not quite what I expected, but she was s..."

I knoooow! I love the music that starts up after the first episode when she says " I believe I've seen hell. And its white...Its snow white!".
The girl who plays Margret is so beautiful. She reminds me of Sophia Myles.
I personally don't think Pride and Prejudice is a good love story at all. N&S beats it tenfold.

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments I love Pride and Prejudice, but everyone has their own taste. But thinking about the two novels together, I can see similarities between the two. Like Elizabeth and Darcy, Margaret at first finds Thornton haughty, and does not like him at all.

Tilly I just found the North and South mini-series on Netflix and, after becoming unhealthily obsessed with Thorin Oakenshield, decided to watch it only because of Richard Armitage. And WOW - I was actually blown away! I think I love Thornton more than I love Mr Darcy (and Colin Firth's was probably my first fictional crush after Harry Potter... *blushes*) and the whole thing was brilliantly done. The music is also wonderful - the score after the 'I've seen Hell' line is just... mind-blowing. But it's all amazing, really ('Thornton's Walk' being one of my favourite tracks too!)
And now I'm determined to read the book. I bought a set of 3 Gaskell books and they've been sitting on my shelf for ages now but I've just never got around to reading them. After seeing this absolutely magical mini-series I think I will finally find a way to MAKE time! :)

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 103 comments LOL Tilly, I haven't seen the series but also have more of a crush on Thornton than I ever had on Darcy

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments Has anybody seen Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne in the recent (2006) Robin Hood series? He was great in that! He went from well-groomed to all dishevelled after a critical point - I liked him even better all rough-looking!

He also was in the last couple of episodes of The Vicar of Dibley. If you like the series but haven't seen these episodes, don't read this, and watch them as soon as possible: (view spoiler)

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 103 comments He's also in the Hobbit- Thorin Oakenshield

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary694) | 4 comments Denise wrote: "Has anybody seen Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne in the recent (2006) Robin Hood series? He was great in that! He went from well-groomed to all dishevelled after a critical point - I liked him..."

I recently started watching Robin Hood, and he makes a very good Guy of Gisborne. The whole show is a lot of fun. I accidentally saw spoilers and know which 'critical point' you mean. Guy's hair grew all long and wavy after that!

Lariela | 41 comments I've seen the miniseries a few times recently. It is what introduced me to Richard Armitage in the first place. And I liked the series more after reading the novel.

Grace Hendrian I enjoyed the miniseries as well. Does anyone know if there has ever been any other film/miniseries adaptation of North and South besides this one? Just out of curiosity, of course.

Teresa (tnorbraten) | 107 comments Free Bates! The same actor that plays Mr. bates on Downton Abbey is in the North and South, isn't he?

Lariela | 41 comments Teresa wrote: "Free Bates! The same actor that plays Mr. bates on Downton Abbey is in the North and South, isn't he?"

Yes. He was also in Larkrise to Candleford.

Trudy Brasure | 93 comments Grace wrote: "I enjoyed the miniseries as well. Does anyone know if there has ever been any other film/miniseries adaptation of North and South besides this one? Just out of curiosity, of course."

Yes, there is a 1975 version of N&S by the BBC with Patrick Stewart as John Thornton! I've written a review of it at Amazon US. I thought it was a faulty adaptation overall - the love story was unconvincing.

Lariela | 41 comments I can't picture Picard as Thornton. He either belongs on a spaceship or in a Dickens adaptation.

message 25: by Noorilhuda (last edited Nov 24, 2014 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Noorilhuda | 34 comments Incredibly well-made - the gloomy tone was perfect representation for the living conditions for factory workers and even the state that Margaret finds herself in the 'backwater' place! Everyone here is crazy for Thornton, and Armitage was perfect for the role but it's the adaptation really, the whole package that is great. The production did take liberties with the ending - kissing scene was out of place for the time - but what the heck!

It's one of those rare books that I wanted a sequel for - to see what their life was like after marriage. That would have been great.

Trudy Brasure | 93 comments There's a beautiful sequel to the book, written in Gaskell-like style at C19. It's called "Pack Clouds Away" and I recommend it to any one who loves the book and wanted the story to continue.

message 27: by Silvia (new) - added it

Silvia Jumbofoto (silviajumbo) | 1 comments <3 love, the station's scene!!! The lovely kisses!!!
If I want't to put on a photo? To don't missing one of my favorite scene. Sorry for my English. Silvia!

Lariela | 41 comments I just finished watching the miniseries again. Still great.

Alexandra | 3 comments I just hate these miniseries.Richard Armitage is far too handsome.Daniela Denby-Ashe looks horrible.And always a halph-open mouth!She looks in love with mr.Thornton he too cares for her,so what's the problem?!In fact,it's Margaret who is extremely beautiful, not mr.Thornton.The plot is changed...In north and south workers were not so important.And this train scene is extremely embarrassing.The book is twice as better.

message 30: by Trudy (last edited Mar 10, 2015 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trudy Brasure | 93 comments Margaret IS in love with him for at least the last two episodes, and fighting a growing attraction in the earlier episodes. The book describes her beauty in two ways: in the South (from the opening chapters' descriptions) she's not considereded handsome - but in the North she's called 'bonny' and 'handsome' by strangers. Two standards of beauty?
Armitage may be too handsome, but I thought the essence of the intensity of emotions found in the book were brilliantly expressed in the mini-series. He's absolutely smitten; it's very clear.
Denby-Asche had a much harder role to play as the Victorian heroine who through mistaken circumstances and social etiquette is helpless to explain herself. If she looked somewhat bewildered and confused she did her job well.
I'm not sure what you mean by the workers not being that important. I thought Higgins and the workers' issues played an integral role in Gaskell's book and in her overall themes.
The film ending? Pure film genius and gorgeously acted. Cinematic heaven even if it was completely anachronistic. Just imagine the same gentle/passionate kiss in Aunt Shaw's back drawing room and you can enjoy this final scene with the rest of us. :)
I love the book more now after 5 years of studying this story, but I love the mini-series for capturing the passion and turmoil of Gaskell's novel.