Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
206 views
Archives > September 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 352 (352 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3681 comments I'm about to start the newest Flavia DeLuce offering Speaking from Among the Bones.


message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 01, 2013 01:31AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1167 comments Susan and Miss Susie, the other thread was frozen so I continued here. Burial Rites, so far I have only praise for this book and the audio performance. It is narrated by Morven Christie. I am amazed to see that the author Hannah Kent is Australian and NOT Scandinavian. The words are wonderful, and the narration further enhances the atmosphere drawn by the words .....that feels totally genuine. Great metaphors! Each character's personality is vivid. Tremendous writing. I have read that she is mentored by Geraldine Brooks, but this author is much better! I am not criticizing Brooks, merely praising Kent.


message 3: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments Chrissie wrote: "Susan and Miss Susie, the other thread was frozen so I continued here. Burial Rites, so far I have only praise for this book and the audio performance. It is narrated by Morven Christie. I am amaze..."

Great to hear... bumping this further up on my tbl list


message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I finished Abaddon's Gate, and it was awesome. I was afraid it was going to leave things hanging again, but it made a nice end to the trilogy. Not sure what to listen to next. I have another dog book from the non-fiction sale and some mysteries and another Iain Banks.


message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1167 comments MissSusie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Susan and Miss Susie, the other thread was frozen so I continued here. Burial Rites, so far I have only praise for this book and the audio performance. It is narrated by Morven Chr..."

Smart choice!


message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) I'm going to start the Stoneheart Trilogy. Jim Dale narrates. As much as I love Jim Dale, I don't know that I'll be able get my mind to accept that he's not reading Harry Potter to me. I listened to Luc Besson's children's books narrated by Dale and was alright with them I assume because they were fairly short. I had trouble listening to the Peter and the Starcatcher series by Dave Barry though. That's pretty indepth with 5 in the series.

Does anyone else run into that, where a voice becomes the 'face' of a book/series? I don't know if that made sense but hopefully you'll understand what I mean.


message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 168 comments Julie wrote: "I'm going to start the Stoneheart Trilogy. Jim Dale narrates. As much as I love Jim Dale, I don't know that I'll be able get my mind to accept that he's not reading Harry Potter to me. I listened t..."

I love Jim Dale too, but some of his voices in other books sound a lot like the characters in Harry Potter. I'm talking about ones that are not his natural voice. That can be distracting but he is so good that I put up with it.


J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 707 comments Sandra wrote: "I finished Abaddon's Gate, and it was awesome. I was afraid it was going to leave things hanging again, but it made a nice end to the trilogy..."

I'm getting close to the end. I love this series, thankfully there will be more in the future.

"It was announced in 2012 that Orbit Books had ordered a further three books in the Expanse series, in addition to five novellas set in the same universe."


message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 154 comments Barbara wrote: "Julie wrote: "I'm going to start the Stoneheart Trilogy. Jim Dale narrates. As much as I love Jim Dale, I don't know that I'll be able get my mind to accept that he's not reading Harry Potter to me..."

I had the same problem with the Night Circus, I'd hear a voice and think that's Dumbledore...but it lessened after I got into the story


message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Good to know. Thanks ladies. :)


message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments J. wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I finished Abaddon's Gate, and it was awesome. I was afraid it was going to leave things hanging again, but it made a nice end to the trilogy..."

I'm getting close to the end. I l..."


I'm surprised as I thought it came to a nice conclusion. But they do have a nice style, so I'll look forward to more. I suppose we could hear more from both Bobby and Clarissa. I was sorry Bobby wasn't in this book.


message 12: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 392 comments I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't remember who narrated it. The story and narration were both excellent. I think I loved listening to it more than I would have just reading it... you can hear the terror of the unknown in his voice when he's describing the eerie sounds on the moor. Bone chilling and delightful!


message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't remember who narrated it. The story and narration were both excelle..."

Sounds like a good one to listen to in October. :)


message 14: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 392 comments It's very good. And fairly short, you could get through it in just a couple of days. Or one, if you have nothing else to do.


message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1167 comments Listening to Burial Rites was a fantastic experience. You are transported to another time and place. Fantastic writing and fantastic narration of the audiobook narrated by Morven Christie.
My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
From Iceland to......

Sri Lanka! Now I have begun:
Anil's Ghost. I so like Michael Ondaatje's writing.

Both are books of fiction based on real events.


message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I'm listening to Dirty Wars: The World Is A Battlefield. It already has me upset.


message 17: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Julie wrote: "Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't remember who narrated it. The story and narration wer..."

The Patrick Tull edition (http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002V8...) at Audible is only $5.95. There are two Whispersync'd editions (type "hound of the baskervilles whispersync" in the Amazon search box) and they are only 49¢ after you buy the Kindle edition, but the narrators are unknown to me. Patrick Tull was a wonderful narrator. Just my 2 cents.


message 18: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't remember who narrated it. The story and..."


And then there is Librivox for free.


message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) I'll see what we have at the library. :) I'm not very high tech at the moment. Thanks for all of the suggestions, girls.


message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (kaelesa) | 3 comments I'm listening to "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliette Maillier.


message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments Debbie wrote: "I'm listening to "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliette Maillier."

Oooo how is it? Loved it in print.


message 22: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments Chrissie wrote: "Listening to Burial Rites was a fantastic experience. You are transported to another time and place. Fantastic writing and fantastic narration of the audiobook narrated by Morven Christie.
My revie..."


Great review! Adding it to my cart now!


message 23: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I'm listening to "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliette Maillier."

Oooo how is it? Loved it in print."


Debbie wrote: "I'm listening to "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliette Maillier."

Me too I have scraped paint, cleaned out my father in laws apartment,cleaned bathroom and kitchen just to keep listening. It is even better than I remember and have picked up the next 2 already!


message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments Shirley wrote: "CatBookMom wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't remember who narrate..."

There was only maybe 2 stories in the entire sherlock Holmes collection on libravox I didn't care for. For the most part I felt this to be one of libravox better narrations. The complete works has various narrators but primarily 2 do the bulk of it.


message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Travis of NNY wrote: "Shirley wrote: "CatBookMom wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the life of me, I can't reme..."

Ok, I've gotta ask...what's libravox?


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Librivox = volunteer readers / narrators, usually reading classics


message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments Julie wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Shirley wrote: "CatBookMom wrote: "Julie wrote: "Alana wrote: "I just finished listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles though I just deleted it from my Sansa and for the li..."

Libravox titles are all free so with it all volunteers quality can be iffy but some are good some not so good either way. Free. I use ambling books because I have an easier time downloading them compared with libravox. All books at ambling are not free but they have a large free inventory which are mostly libravox titles


message 28: by Leslie (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:13PM) (new)

Leslie | 581 comments The Librivox "Hound of the Baskervilles (version 2)" narration (located here ) is done by a single person, Bob Neufeld. I just listened to this a few days ago and thought it was very well done. It's free so you can try it and if you don't like it, nothing's lost.


message 29: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I finished The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam this weekend. It's a fun, light mystery + Simon Vance's narration = an enjoyable experience.

Next I'm going to start The Round House. I'm feeling a little like I'm about to right a wrong by finally listening to a Louise Erdrich book. She's a Minnesotan, as am I, and I've heard so much about her books over the years. Looking forward to finally being able to say I've read her!


message 30: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Listening to 'The Silent Wife' by the late A.S.A. Harrison. Chapters are divided by 'Her' and 'Him' with narration by Karen White and Donald Corren, respectively.


message 31: by Leslie (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Leslie | 581 comments I have 2 different audiobook editions of Jane Eyre, since I picked up one from SYNC this summer. One is narrated by Wanda McCaddon and the other by Susan Ericksen. Any recommendations as to which I should listen to?

I finished The Old Man and the Sea, which wasn't narrated by Donald Sutherland after all. I liked it (much more than A Farewell to Arms or For Whom The Bell Tolls).


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally finished Outlander (4 stars) and plan to start The Art of Racing in the Rain tomorrow.


message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Jennifer (Sanity is overrated) wrote: "I finally finished Outlander (4 stars) and plan to start The Art of Racing in the Rain tomorrow."

I loved Outlander. I felt that the second book was a little long. I know the books are intended to be historical fiction but I felt some of it could have been left out to move the story along a bit. The third book picks up again and I haven't read past that. :) Davina Porter is great.


message 34: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1167 comments MissSusie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Listening to Burial Rites was a fantastic experience. You are transported to another time and place. Fantastic writing and fantastic narration of the audiobook narrated by Morven C..."

Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I am usually so skeptical toward new books, thinking let others test them before I do. I was happily surprised. The listener is immersed. It is so atmospheric!


message 35: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments Started the dramatic performance by Tim Curry as they call it doing Journey to the Center of the Earth I have heard good things with Tim Curry but this is my first listen


message 36: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Chrissie wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Listening to Burial Rites was a fantastic experience. You are transported to another time and place. Fantastic writing and fantastic narration of the audiobook na..."

Chrissie - when I checked Audible it says it's a preorder. Did you get an advanced copy?


message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1167 comments Maureen, I guess Burial Rites is available to Europeans earlier than Americans. We got if first for once! I wasn't aware of this.


message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Karen wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Julie wrote: "I'm going to start the Stoneheart Trilogy. Jim Dale narrates. As much as I love Jim Dale, I don't know that I'll be able get my mind to accept that he's not reading Ha..."

Ha, I had the same problem with Night Circus. It took a while for me to sink into his voices as *not Harry Potter, but I definitely had that "hey, that's Dumbledore" moment! He is great though and absolutely made the Harry Potter series for me.


message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments I just started The Ocean at the End of the Lane written and narrated by Neil Gaiman. He's great, of course, but so far I'm iffy on the book. Interesting but quite disturbing.


message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 55 comments I just finished The Lotus Eaters. Thank you for the recommendation. I enjoyed the book but didn't really like the ending.


message 41: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Chrissie wrote: "Maureen, I guess Burial Rites is available to Europeans earlier than Americans. We got if first for once! I wasn't aware of this."

Interesting! It comes out in the US on September 10th.

I have just put aside The Eye of the World after listening to about 30% of the book. I am a visual learner and it was too difficult keeping track of characters, places etc. I might try and pick it up in print because it was pretty entertaining. I just started Monster Hunter International based on the reviews here. So far so good but it reminds me of Storm Front.


message 42: by MissSusie (last edited Sep 03, 2013 12:28PM) (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments Finished Daughter of the Forest loved it just as much if not more than the first time and I did end up really liking the narrator Terry Donnelly.. now listening to the second book Son of the Shadows this one is narrated by, Rosalyn Landor


message 43: by Samyann (new)

Samyann | 69 comments I'm almost through with another Vince Flynn. I have all of his books in audio format, and I guess since Flynn died, I felt I owed him another listen. They are wonderful stories, and I absolutely love Rapp, so........somehow I think I'll probably listen to them again, someday.


message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) Jennifer (Sanity is overrated) wrote: "I finally finished Outlander (4 stars) and plan to start The Art of Racing in the Rain tomorrow."

I just finished The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens, and I did see the connection to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I was right! Excellent :)


message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments @Leslie - personally, i'm a fan of Susan Erickon's Jane Eyre - since she is a favorite author of mine - I don't know if i've listened to anything by Wanda McCraddon (but someone here mentioned she also narrated under another name maybe...)


message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments I finished up Emma (Jane Austen) this morning - narrated by Michael Page - first time i've listened to Austen narrated by a male, but he was surprisingly good...

next up is Finding ultra


message 48: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 109 comments Julie wrote: "
Does anyone else run into that, where a voice becomes the 'face' of a book/series? I don't know if that made sense but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. ..."


I know exactly what you mean, Julie. I am a big fan of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, read by Dick Hill. Hill has a unique voice and reading style, and I associate it with Reacher. So whenever I hear him read anything else, that's all I can think about, and I'm not happy about it. Not sure that would make me not listen, though, if it's a book I really want to listen to.


message 49: by Julie (new)

Julie  (plumcrazy22) Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Julie wrote: "
Does anyone else run into that, where a voice becomes the 'face' of a book/series? I don't know if that made sense but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. ..."

I know exactly w..."


Thanks for the input. I'm going to plug it in this morning while I walk to work. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll have to find some patience. Not a quality I easily possess unless it has to do with teaching or knitting but I'll give it a try. :)


message 50: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 69 comments Julie wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Karen wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Julie wrote: "I'm going to start the Stoneheart Trilogy. Jim Dale narrates. As much as I love Jim Dale, I don't know that I'll be able get my mind to a..."

Might want to edit your post and add a spoiler for the Dumbledore comment.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.