♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Monthly Book Discussions > Paranormal Creatures

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:01PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
What are your favorite paranormal creatures to read about? Your favorite books with that paranormal creature?

Ghosts

Werewolves

Reapers

Mermaids

Vampires

Banshees

Zombies

Faeries

Dragons

message 2: by Pamela (last edited Aug 31, 2013 10:56PM) (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments I don't know why, but I like any book as long as the male protagonist isn't human.

My favorite paranormal creatures would be vampires because they're immortal and has mostly experienced the whole world already so they know what they want and how to get it.

The only book series I can think of at the moment that is both my favorite and has vampires in them is the Vampire Academy series. :-)

message 3: by Raevyn (last edited Sep 08, 2013 04:16AM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 9 comments Ghosts are the most original, but my favorite would have to be one that's not on there: Water Spirits! I've never read a book on that, though...

message 4: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new)

Ghost stories are usually sad so I often stay away from them. I read a lot of vampire and werewolf books. I love the Soul Screamers banshee series. That is something you don't see too often. I like books that have a mix of creatures. I love dragons but don't read too much about them. Been wanting to reads Firelight for a long time. I'm behind on my mermaid reading too. I have several books with them but haven't had a chance to read them. Love zombie apocalypses.

message 5: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 21 comments I do like vampires and werewolves but I can't think of any books I've read that had anything else in them. I love the idea of paranormal creatures though! If anyone knows some great books with creatures other than vampires and werewolves, I would love to read them!

Irena BookDustMagic | 54 comments Faeries are my absolutely favorite. the more books I read about them, the more I find them fascinating.

i've never read anything about reapers or banshees, so if you have some book recommendations about them please do recommend. :)

message 7: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new)

This series is one of my favs and has banshees and reapers.

Soul Screamers Volume One (Soul Screamers, #0.5-2) by Rachel Vincent Soul Screamers Volume Two (Soul Screamers #3, 3.5, 4) by Rachel Vincent Soul Screamers Volume Three (Soul Screamers #5, 5.5, 6) by Rachel Vincent With All My Soul (Soul Screamers, #7) by Rachel Vincent

Here is a good reaper series.

Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico Scorch (Croak, #2) by Gina Damico Rogue (Croak, #3) by Gina Damico

message 8: by Vitor Henrique (new)

Vitor Henrique Machado (face2face) | 63 comments Dragons, faeries and banshees for sure.
If anyone has any suggestions on these 3 (mainly dragons), I'd be more than happy to check out.
I've always been looking for some book where dragons are directly involved with the main character.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Vitor wrote: "Dragons, faeries and banshees for sure.
If anyone has any suggestions on these 3 (mainly dragons), I'd be more than happy to check out.
I've always been looking for some book where dragons are dire..."

Well, there's Eragon.

message 10: by Özgecan (last edited Sep 09, 2013 08:29AM) (new)

Özgecan (ozgecan) | 133 comments Vampires have always been my favourite. It's different to look at the world from the point of view of someone who have lived that long. I generally dont like shapeshifters maybe that's why I like vampires they dont change except for the fangs. And it's always more difficult for them since they have to keep themselves in control. I like their other features as well.
My favourite books which contains vampires:
Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1) by J.A. London Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #2) by J.A. London After Daybreak (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #3) by J.A. London
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3) by Richelle Mead
A Discovery Of Witches (All Souls, #1) by Deborah Harkness Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness
For those who want suggestions for dragons I can only think of Firelight series, I didnt enjoy it much because I am not a fan of dragons or love triangles. But if you love these things you'll definitely enjoy it. Or if you want some different kind of creatures I'd recommend Die for Me series which is about revenants (a mixture of zombies and ghosts but different from them as well)and Significance series which is about a kind called aces, both of these are my favourite as well.

message 11: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Sep 09, 2013 12:18PM) (new)

Dragons

Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan

Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman

Here is a dragon listopia list that has some good dragon books on it http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/58...

Faeries

Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones Captivate (Need, #2) by Carrie Jones Entice (Need, #3) by Carrie Jones Endure (Need, #4) by Carrie Jones

Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) by Jenna Black Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2) by Jenna Black Sirensong (Faeriewalker, #3) by Jenna Black

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 172 comments Ghosts - Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1) by Stacey Kade The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica Verday

Werewolves - Hemlock (Hemlock, #1) by Kathleen Peacock Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1) by Christine Johnson 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1) by Shannon Delany

Reapers - My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1) by Tara A. Fuller
Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1) by Michele Vail

Vampires - Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel

Zombies - Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon :)

message 13: by Corina (new)

Corina I guess i find the whole concept of reapers/angels very intriguing. However, I haven't really read a book about these creatures that I could really call a favorite... :( (any suggestions?)
I will say I have read the Madison Avery books by Kim Harrison and really enjoyed them. And I have also read Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick which definitely wasn't a favorite, but I'm planning to read the sequel soon so we'll see...

message 14: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandithebibliophile) | 5 comments Vampires and banshees

message 15: by May (new)

May  | 1 comments Werewolves for sure!! It's the best combination because they are human and paranormal.

message 16: by Val (new)

Val (valeriepsilva) | 144 comments well i've never read about banshees, it must be pretty interesting.
I find more attractive: fairies, reapers and mermaids even though I've never read about mermaids either xP

message 17: by trav (new)

trav | 61 comments Hands down, vampires! I just have something for vampires that I'm obsessed with. Well, its not like I wanna be one... pshh no! But I would never drink harmless peoples blood, possibly killing them. Anywayyy, I just feel theres so much about them that I love!!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I love reading about all things paranormal. I find it such an interesting subject, and every author envisions the creatures differently.

message 19: by Martina McAtee (new)

Martina McAtee | 8 comments My favorite paranormal creatures are the ones I write about, reapers, zombies, werewolves and witches. I love the myth of the vampire but I kind of got burnt out on it. Fifteen years ago, I was obsessed with the ideas of the fallen angels and the nephilim. Now, there are so many books dealing with the mythology and each a little different. It's amazing. I love to see how writers take a classic mythology and twist it just enough to make it something new.

message 20: by Maggie (last edited Sep 01, 2015 09:36AM) (new)

Maggie ☘ | 20 comments Fae (Faeries) - They are so fascinating, if done well.
-The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa!
-Wings series by Aprilynne Pike
-Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price

Dragons - They are amazing creatures, but I don't know many books with them unfortunately.
-Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
-Game of Thrones
And I heard that EON by Alison Goodman is really good.

Vampires-
-Blood of Eden series by Julie Kagawa!
-Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead!

message 21: by RAI (last edited Sep 01, 2015 11:37AM) (new)

RAI | 1032 comments Faeries (Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa)

Vampires (Blood of Eden series by Julie Kagawa, Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewer, Oliver Nocturne series by Kevin Emerson, The Hunt series by Andrew Fukuda, Thirst series by Christopher Pike)

Aliens (Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout)

Cyborgs/Automatons (Steampunk series by Kady Cross, Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare)

Werewolves (13 to Life series by Shannon Delaney)

Demons (Nevermore series by Kelly Creagh, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare)

Banshees (Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent)