Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
Group Reads Archive > September Epic Fantasy Group Read: Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4741 comments Mod
Our September group read is Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Please feel free to join us for the discussion throughout the month.

Magiccats | 280 comments I absolutely loved this book. It actually brought me to tears in one place. Fantastic book and author. I just started book 2.

Ctgt Magiccats wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. It actually brought me to tears in one place. Fantastic book and author. I just started book 2."

:)

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I can't wait to start this book. I've been wanting to read this for ages.

Magiccats, glad you enjoyed. Looking forward to discussing with everyone.

message 5: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
I've got this on hold at the library...hope it comes in soon!

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Do I have this one? (Sigh) there has to be a better way to manage my kindle and bounce it against my TBR...

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I've started and I can already tell this going to be a good one.

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Do I have this one? (Sigh) there has to be a better way to manage my kindle and bounce it against my TBR..."

I agree, it drives me a little crazy that I can't, or haven't figured out how to organize my books in my Kindle.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Tottenham-Whitehall (juliatw78) | 23 comments Eileen wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Do I have this one? (Sigh) there has to be a better way to manage my kindle and bounce it against my TBR..."

I agree, it drives me a little crazy that I can't, or haven't fig..."

I use the Amazon "Manage Your Kindle" page. It's pitiful but works better than trying to do anything on the kindle itself.

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks, Julia!

I'll see it that helps.

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
My problem is not organization, it's volume and time. I "know" how to do it... but I have hundreds of books in my Kindle account/on my kindle. I've even removed the read ones (I can still down load them whenever I want)

I'll give the "Manage my kindle" page a shot.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm on chapter 2 and I want Vin's power!

message 13: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Based on what's already been said, I have to get going on this one. Right now I'm trying to finish another book because I just can't read more than one book at a time.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Was about to start this but randomly picked up journey to the center of the earth but its short.

I just bookshelf my kindle books in the contents page kindle calls them collections allows you to create basically shelves but this is probably common knowledge

message 15: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Sep 03, 2013 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Do I have this one? (Sigh) there has to be a better way to manage my kindle and bounce it against my TBR..."

I added an an exclusive shelf on my profile here at Goodreads titled unread-kindle...not sure if it's helpful or not, but it makes me appear to be more organized :)

message 16: by Rizwan (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:03AM) (new) - added it

Rizwan | 274 comments I just finished Fool Moon and I guess I SHOULD start Mistborn now... But I'm SO into Harry Dresden's world right now that I just can't seem to pull myself off from there! Please someone tell me that Grave Peril is not as good as the first two and I will be much better off spending time in Mistborn's world for the next week! :O

Tim The Enchanter | 119 comments Rizwan wrote: "I just finished Fool Moon and I guess I SHOULD start Mistborn now... But I'm SO into Harry Dresden's world right now that I just can't seem to pull myself off from there! Please someone tell me tha..."

Grave Peril is not as good as the first two. Haha. Actually, it is probably better that the first two. There is a shift in the books starting with #3. The fantasy content is ratcheted up a few notches.

message 18: by Rizwan (new) - added it

Rizwan | 274 comments Tim wrote: "Grave Peril is not as good as the first two. Haha. Actually, it is probably better that the first two. There is a shift in the books starting with #3. The fantasy content is ratcheted up a few notches."

Tim, you're not helping! Guess I'll just read Grave Peril now and pick up Mistborn next week.... hopefully.

message 19: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Rizwan wrote: "I just finished Fool Moon and I guess I SHOULD start Mistborn now... But I'm SO into Harry Dresden's world right now that I just can't seem to pull myself off from there! Please someone tell me tha..."

I don't blame you at all! Harry Dresden and his world is hard to leave. I hope you can join us soon in another world in Mistborn. : )

Tim The Enchanter | 119 comments I have wanted to read this series. Is it adult oriented?

message 21: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Now you all are making me wonder if I gave up on Harry Dresden too early. I think I read the first couple and found them okay but nothing that held me spellbound. I went over to Butcher's Codex series and liked that better. Right now I'm trying to finish The Keeper of Lost Causes - a disturbing whodunit that gives me the creeps on one hand and demands that I finish it to find out who and why. After that, Mistborn it is and Harry Dresden will have to wait. At this rate I'll never catch up on my reading list because you all keep making it longer.

message 22: by Rizwan (new) - added it

Rizwan | 274 comments Eileen wrote: "I don't blame you at all! Harry Dresden and his world is hard to leave. I hope you can join us soon in another world in Mistborn. : )"

Yeah I honestly hope that too. I wanted to read Mistborn for over a year, and it'd REALLY suck to miss the chance of reading it with my group! Fingers crossed for next week! :)

message 23: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tim wrote: "I have wanted to read this series. Is it adult oriented?"

From what I've read so far, there has been some miner violence. Other then that, it's been more world building and getting to know the cast of characters. Maybe someone whose read the entire book could answer it better?

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen J. wrote: "Now you all are making me wonder if I gave up on Harry Dresden too early. I think I read the first couple and found them okay but nothing that held me spellbound. I went over to Butcher's Codex s..."

I think the Harry Dresden series gets better with each book. What I can remember the third in the series made me want to continue with the series. I'll have to look up Butcher's Codex series, sounds good.

message 25: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Rizwan wrote: "Eileen wrote: "I don't blame you at all! Harry Dresden and his world is hard to leave. I hope you can join us soon in another world in Mistborn. : )"

Yeah I honestly hope that too. I wanted to rea..."

Good luck! : )

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4741 comments Mod
Rizwan wrote: "I just finished Fool Moon and I guess I SHOULD start Mistborn now... But I'm SO into Harry Dresden's world right now that I just can't seem to pull myself off from there! Please someone tell me tha..."

Sorry, I thought Grave Peril was pretty darn spiffy!

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Hmmm was going to start mist born tonight but I got book 1 of Dresden files for $3 at yesterday's audible daily deal. Decisions decisions

message 28: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt Tim wrote: "I have wanted to read this series. Is it adult oriented?"

Yes. He has written some YA or teen stuff but this series is geared toward the adult reader.

message 29: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt Eileen wrote: "I'm on chapter 2 and I want Vin's power!"

I loved the "magic" system in this book. That and his characters made this a top notch series for me.

Tim The Enchanter | 119 comments Thanks CT. I have not enjoyed any YA series I have read. As a rule I avoid them.

message 31: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt I also tend to steer clear.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments YA hoik patooey. That's what I think about that

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks for answering the YA question, Ctgt!

I'm at the part of the book where (view spoiler)

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I just finished part 1 and was wondering if anyone else was reading along with me?

If so, what to do think of the pace? To slow or just right?

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Started it give me a day to cover some ground first

message 36: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Travis, that's fine. Happy your joining the discussion.

message 37: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt Eileen wrote: "I just finished part 1 and was wondering if anyone else was reading along with me?

If so, what to do think of the pace? To slow or just right?"

Thinking back it seems the pacing was fairly consistent, definitely not edge of your seat thriller pacing but it never seemed to bog down for me either.

Magiccats | 280 comments Yes, In light of the character and world building,and the magic system lay out I thought the flow was just right.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments So fat just about right.not George RR martin over abundance of detail slowing us down yet enough detail to keep us informed from being lost. Leads the story forward by slowly adding to the magic system. It doesn't over inform us but keeps just enough of current past and future events to make curiosity flipping the pages to see what's next.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I'm doing this in audio so for anyone in a printed form question. Before every chapter there is a short blurb does a printed version show whose words or thoughts thesemay be or actually what the point of them are. I fail to see how some of them have anything to do with the chapter they precede

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I'm doing this in audio so for anyone in a printed form question. Before every chapter there is a short blurb does a printed version show whose words or thoughts thesemay be or actually what the point of them are. I fail to see how some of them have anything to do with the chapter they precede

message 42: by Magiccats (last edited Sep 07, 2013 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Magiccats | 280 comments I think somewhere I read they were clues for the reader to figure out the climax of the book early if they were smart enough. I wasn't. LOL.

Also on ereaders it is not so easy to flip back and forth to reread things as it is with a paperback, at least that is my experience.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I thought they were clue like and doing audio I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

message 44: by Eileen (last edited Sep 07, 2013 05:36PM) (new)

Eileen I'm also doing the audio version and am loving it. The narrator is doing a great job.

I was also wondering about the "quotes" before each chapter. I did figure it was a clue to where the story is headed. I have a few ideas on what that might be, I just don't want to say yet, incase I'm wrong. : )

I like the way Vin is maturing in the story.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I could be wrong and often but there are so many things being said on Vins brother that I expect him to pop up before this is over . He already seems like more of a main character thanost of the crew.

I'm getting used to the narrator his tone and rqading style is more one my brain associates with a crime detecrive mystery thriller type he would do a harry Bosch book well

message 46: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I also think Kelsier's brother Marsh (?) Is going to play a bigger part in the future.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Yes marsh does seem to be more to this than we are being told so far. I just got into part 3.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Not sure chapter wise my location probably about 3/4 done. I believe fits about to hit the shan

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm at the part (view spoiler) this book has held my attention and I can see myself jumping right into the second book.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Finished had to give it 5 stars. For a first book in a series to grab my interest so fast is rare. For a new author to myself to grab me this fast is rare. Then the story was great and my first one involving much in terms of magic. The story finalized itself well while setting up for book 2. Will I jump into the next book? No I'm going to be responsible and get caught up with MHI #4 and iron druid #4 both which I already own then maybe continue. I just get too many series started so.etimrs and have to ground myself to get caught up every now and then. Then I see myself likely to fly through the next three books in this trilogy turned 4 pack.

« previous 1 3