Pakistan discussion

Agency Rules - Pakistani Spy Thriller by a Pakistani

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Ok, a little bit of shameless promotion here. Apologies in advance.

I am in the final revision of my first novel and would like to share it with you all. The novel is called Agency Rules and centers around a young man who is making his way into the intelligence services of Pakistan. It's an interesting and intriguing trip (as I have been told who have read the manuscript) that really tells a great story.

If you are interested in reading the excerpts that have been, and will continue to be, posted on the pre-launch website at http://agencyrules.com and you can join us either on FB at http://facebook.com/AgencyRulesPK or twitter at http://twitter.com/AgencyRulesPK.

I would be very interested in the feedback that you have to share since, as I said, I am in final revisions on the book.

Thank you and you may now return to your regularly scheduled Internet browsing.

message 2: by Anum (new)

Anum S. (anumshaharyar) Not a big fan of the genre, but it sounds pretty cool. Good luck! I hope it turns out great Inshaa Allah :)

message 3: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Thanks Anum! What do you read? We are looking for people who would be willing to do some book reviews of romance novellas?

message 4: by Maira (new)

Maira | 27 comments it sounds very interesting and intriguing. i always love a book with trill in it. hope it turns out to be a best seller kind. :P

best of luck for it.

message 5: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Maira - You are too kind! Hope you took a minute to visit the pre-launch website and read some of the excerpts that are posted there. I too hope it turns out to be a bestseller kind, but am just looking for a novel that the readers can connect with right now.

message 6: by Danyal (new)

Danyal Effendi (daneffendi) | 1 comments I just browsed through your website and i must say its some real good efforts.
Have you found the publisher???

good luck.

message 7: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Danyal - Thank you for your kind words. I have a publisher based in Australia and the book will be released end of this year. Am actually working on final revisions nowadays. Did you like the story, pace and tone?

message 8: by Maira (new)

Maira | 27 comments i read the excerpts and it had my interest with flying colours. :p

the pace and tone were very good, fast and tot he point. it was very natural.

message 9: by Shehzad (new)

Shehzad | 5 comments I'm no critic but here's what i think. It's pretty good. A somewhat negative impression that i got from the excerpts is passivity. The passive tense accentuating the helplessness of the protagonist. I might be wrong and it may change when the change in his circumstances. But I for one prefer an agent or spy figure in charge of the situation, difficultly if not completely. That's what makes them fascinating and different. But it's only a stereotypical categorization. Your novel may have something out of the box to offer. Best of luck!
P.S. No hard feelings

message 10: by Shehzad (new)

Shehzad | 5 comments *with the change
*sufficiently/somewhat

message 11: by Shehzad (new)

Shehzad | 5 comments Well, I just read ' The journey begins' part. And I must say, if the novel imbibes the same tone and frequency, it'll be hard to put down.

message 12: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Maira wrote: "i read the excerpts and it had my interest with flying colours. :p

the pace and tone were very good, fast and tot he point. it was very natural."

Thank you Maira. Please do keep checking the site, I will be posting more excerpts from the novel so that people can get a feel for the writing, story and tone. I update 3 times a week roughly.

message 13: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Shehzad wrote: "I'm no critic but here's what i think. It's pretty good. A somewhat negative impression that i got from the excerpts is passivity. The passive tense accentuating the helplessness of the protagonist..."

No hard feelings at all Shehzad. But I would like to qualify your comment a bit.

What you are reading are the excerpts from the introductory chapters of the story. The main character, Kamal Khan, is a young student enlisting in the military first, hoping to achieve his dreams of being an intelligence officer. There is a period of him having to recognize himself and build into who he becomes.

I can tell you that the pace picks up and you won't be disappointed if you are looking for a strong character, but if you are looking for "macho" action, you won't find it in my novel. Kamal is a true spy that uses his mind, not his might to complete his missions and overcome obstacles.

I think you will enjoy the book once it releases. It's been through beta readers who have given it high marks on story, character progression, plot line and pace. Thank you for your feedback. It does help as I work the final edits into the novel :)

message 14: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Are the Shehzad who posted comment #9 and #11 the same person or different people? I am a little confused on the comments if it is the same person.

message 15: by Shehzad (new)

Shehzad | 5 comments Hmm the story of Kamal Khan sounds promising. Yes, I'm indeed the same person. My first comment concerned with the excerpts only. The later one was on the part ' The journey begins' ? , I loved the style it was written in.

message 16: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Thanks for the clarification, Shehzad. The journey begins is actually me writing the background story of how the book came together - from idea and research to actually writing and editing.

You can tell the difference by reading the excerpts that are posted in the Background section of the website. They are all there, and will continue to be posted until the book is released later this year.

message 17: by Anum (new)

Anum S. (anumshaharyar) Khalid wrote: "Thanks Anum! What do you read? We are looking for people who would be willing to do some book reviews of romance novellas?"

Except for science fiction and mysteries (unless they're really well written), i'm ok with most genres :) and yeah sure, let me know what you need to be reviewed.

message 18: by Anum (new)

Anum S. (anumshaharyar) Also, I was reading the above comments and you mentioned how he uses his wits instead of brute force in the book. This actually sounds pretty interesting. I think I'll give this book a go. Do you have a tentative release date yet?

message 19: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments That's great Anum! The tentative release date is late Nov/early Dec, but that all depends on how quickly I can get the revisions done that my editor and publisher have asked for. I can, however, send you a pre-release copy as soon as I have approval from my publisher. How does that sound?

message 20: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Anum - we are looking to have some novellas reviewed for a publisher that my company works with. They are romance novellas written by South Asians. You might have heard of the publisher, Indireads is their name. If you are interested, let me know and I'll introduce you to the contact within my company that handles their book publishing. She is also on Goodreads, so it should be an easy intro.

message 21: by Anum (new)

Anum S. (anumshaharyar) Khalid wrote: "Anum - we are looking to have some novellas reviewed for a publisher that my company works with. They are romance novellas written by South Asians. You might have heard of the publisher, Indireads ..."

Yeah, that sounds cool :)

message 22: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Thank you so much Anum! That will get you an autographed copy of my book for helping out a friend of mine.

message 23: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Hello everyone,

I am looking for reviewers for my spy thriller, Agency Rules, about Pakistan's ISI and the Taliban. If you are interested, please do reach out and I'll be glad to email you a copy.

Agency Rules - Never an Easy Day at the Office

message 24: by Rida (last edited Dec 12, 2013 07:39AM) (new)

Rida Zainab | 2 comments Not my cup of tea but it sounds very interesting! I think I'll give this book a go. Best of luck sir!

message 25: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Rida, does that mean you'd like to review it or read it? If you'd like to review, please send me an email at author@agencyrules.com so I can send you a copy.

message 26: by Rida (new)

Rida Zainab | 2 comments Khalid wrote: "Rida, does that mean you'd like to review it or read it? If you'd like to review, please send me an email at author@agencyrules.com so I can send you a copy.",

You mean advance review copy?

message 27: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Yes.

message 28: by Mansoor (new)

Mansoor Azam (azam69) | 21 comments I will give it a go . Send me a copy. inboxing you email
. just checked the pre launch site .. Awesome topic

message 29: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Mansoor - please check your inbox. I have sent a copy to you. Enjoy and I look forward to your comments and review.

message 30: by Ubaid Talpur (new)

Ubaid Talpur (ubaidtalpur) | 2 comments slam ,
Sir is it possible to download your book in pdf or epub format?

message 31: by Ubaid Talpur (new)

Ubaid Talpur (ubaidtalpur) | 2 comments I m sending u mail plz send me a copy of your book .
Thanks

message 32: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments You are welcome Ubaid!

Just a note - the global release event has been announced for the 16th Jan! Please do join the event page and take advantage of the giveaways and Q&A about the book.

message 33: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Just to let you all know - Agency Rules - Never an Easy Day at the Office has been released. You can buy it from either Amazon or agencyrules.com.

The buy link for Pakistan and the Middle East is http://agencyrules.com/buy-now/

message 34: by Mansoor (new)

Mansoor Azam (azam69) | 21 comments Khalid
All the best
Wish u best sales

message 35: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Mansoor - you have a copy of the book :) I would hope that you would share your review when you get done reading it.

message 36: by Mansoor (new)

Mansoor Azam (azam69) | 21 comments Sheepishly I've been slacking on it. Thanks God I didn't but a nook. It's hard to read on these gadgets for an old timer like me. But surely I'll wade through this one and will share a review :)

message 37: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Mansoor wrote: "Sheepishly I've been slacking on it. Thanks God I didn't but a nook. It's hard to read on these gadgets for an old timer like me. But surely I'll wade through this one and will share a review :)"

I look forward to your review! I read on my iPad, which is just fantastic for reading books :)

message 38: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 1 comments Khalid wrote: "Ok, a little bit of shameless promotion here. Apologies in advance.

I am in the final revision of my first novel and would like to share it with you all. The novel is called Agency Rules and cente..."

good luck Khalid Bro.

message 39: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Hello Rizwan,

As I said above, the book is completed and available for sale - if you are interested in getting a copy. It's only digital for now. The link is:

http://agencyrules.com/buy-now/

message 40: by Mahrukh (new)

Mahrukh (matronmahrukh) Good Luck for your book... i wish the best for you and your book.

message 41: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 24 comments Thanks Mahrukh!