Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Uncle Tom's Cabin
This topic is about Uncle Tom's Cabin
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for Uncle Tom's Cabin

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 12845 comments Start discussion here for Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (kate47) | 7 comments After reading several reviews before I started reading this book my expectations of Uncle Toms Cabin weren't great. I am pleased to say I was wrong . For a book that was published over 150 years ago it is great. Am only about 20 percent into it but already the stage is set for an epic read.

message 3: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 105 comments I just borrowed it. I expect to start it next weekend.

message 4: by Lynn G. (new) - added it

Lynn G. Had to abandon this book. It was physically exhausting to try to wade through and decipher the dialect. Too many other books out there waiting to be read to spend any more time on this one.

Lisa (lisadannatt) I read this last month for the Women's Lit group. Can't believe I've never read it before. It was so poignant and evocative with such a transcendent message.

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (kate47) | 7 comments Simply amazing,

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 49 comments Very much enjoying finally reading this. Am almost finished.

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 12 comments I read this book a while ago and found it incredibly moving. And I'm sure everyone knows how much it mattered. From Wikipedia:

What exactly Lincoln said is a minor mystery. Her son later reported that Lincoln greeted her by saying, "so you are the little woman who wrote the book that started this great war." Her own accounts are vague, including the letter reporting the meeting to her husband: "I had a real funny interview with the President."

Leslie Nelson | 2 comments I just read this recently and I loved it. I had avoided it for years because I thought it would be too depressing. Then my daughter had to read it for school so I joined her. So glad I did. It was hard to read about the suffering, but it was such a beautiful story at the same time. One of my favorites!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Uncle Tom's Cabin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Harriet Beecher Stowe (other topics)