Basically Books! discussion

30 day challenges > September's 30 day challenge (2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ivon, I bring cookie, enjoy (new)

Ivon Drew (agentid) | 227 comments Mod
TIS TIME, for the great part of questions of life, the questions of creation can not compare, for what is life and what came true NEIGH, time fleet's and waves us goodbye as we answer the QUEEEEESTIOOONS OF LIFE! guarded by angels, despised by demons given to you by the marks of life and this time IIIIM SERIOUS.

so, LET... THE...QUESTIONS...BEEEEEGIN:

1. 1st day, first question... did you pinch anybody for the first day of the month?

2. 2nd day, do you like to read in a cafe or other social places?

3. 3rd day, pick a book for each of your initials?

4. 4th day, Does your relatives read books?

5. 5th day, how many books have you read so far this year?

6. 6th day, smallest book you have read so far this year?

7. 7th day, ever accidentally spilled something or destroyed a book.

8. 8th day, name an author and say what genre of book you would want them to do?

9. 9th day, a book you wouldn't mind doing an essay about?

10. 10th day, a book you love and a book you hate?

11. 11th day, a book that confused you?

12. 12th day, a book that you thought would be good that turned out bad?

13. 13th day, Has a book affected your life?

14. 14th day, A quote from any book?

15. 15th day, favorite movie that was originally a book?

16. 16th day, Ever hated someone for saying a book was bad?

17. 17th day, Strangest love story ever read?

18. 18th day, Pick a book you have read that the cover has your favorite color on.

19. 19th day, Which month have you bought the most books?

20. 20th day, Has a book made you want to sing about it?

21. 21st day, have you ever taken a book back because you didn't like it?

22. 22nd day, favorite series of books?

23. 23rd day, whats the most unusual place you've read a book?

24. 24th day, first ever series you read?

25. 25th day, 1st person or 3rd person story?

26. 26th day, do you prefer a book from a male, or a female's point of view?

27. 27th day, ever dropped a book on your face while laying down?

28. 28th day, if you had no food, what book would you force yourself to eat?

29. 29th day, trapped on an island and you can magically make 3 books of your choice appear, what would they be? (NO KINDLES)

30. repeated cliff hangers, like em or hate em?

message 2: by Lavender (new)

Lavender Brooke (LavenderBrooke) | 3 comments No my other half got in first so I did a thump and kick for being so quick! That showed him!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (cookiecat) | 31 comments 1. 1st day, first question... did you pinch anybody for the first day of the month? not yet but I will :3

message 4: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
1. 1st day, first question... did you pinch anybody for the first day of the month?

I don't pinch anyone on the first day of the month. The superstition I picked up when I was little is that you have to say "white rabbits" before you say anything else.

I did say "white rabbits"!

Well, actually I said "ow" first because I got a sharp toenail in the back of my leg (not my own!) but I'm fairly sure ow doesn't count as it's not something you make a conscious decision to say... right? o.0

message 5: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 9 comments 1. No, never thought of it. But now that you've given me the idea, my husband should be back from running errands in about an hour.

Cynthia (The Garett half of Garrett Smith)

message 6: by Ciby (new)

Ciby Chakravarthy Nope. Not yet.

message 7: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) 1. I don't know what you mean by pinching someone, so I guess the answer is no XD

message 8: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 10 comments I cna't do it going on vacation

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 1. No, I didn't. I did reply with "slap and a kick for being so quick" on my brother's girlfriend's Facebook when she posted "pinch, punch, first of the month" though. To be honest, I didn't give it a thought until I saw her post, then I remembered what my brothers used to do back to me if I did the pinch and punch thing to them so posted it in reply.

message 10: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod

No Ivon got there first.. so I did that slap and kick thingy :P :(

message 11: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 10 comments I won't be doing this one, so take me off the mial lsit

message 12: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Lindy wrote: "I won't be doing this one, so take me off the mial lsit"

There is no mailing list, Lindy. The group messages get sent out to all group members.

message 13: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

2. 2nd day, do you like to read in a cafe or other social places?

I do like it.. but I don't do it much :)

message 14: by Ciby (new)

Ciby Chakravarthy I love to read in a cafe, looking at all the strange people who happen to pass by me.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Kuhnau (kuhnau13) | 14 comments 1. I did not
2. I like to read in a coffee shop or at the park

message 16: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 4 comments 1. nope : )

2. I do but I don't go there to read specifically but it just ends up happening

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 2. I will read just about anywhere, but I get more in to a book when I'm in a solitary place as I can't help keeping some of my awareness on wat's going on around me when I'm in parks and cafes and such. I think it's the writer in me looking for inspiration?

message 18: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
2. 2nd day, do you like to read in cafés or other social places?

I do occasionally but I won't go there expressly to read. Only if I happen to be there anyway and want to get some reading done (I always have a book in my handbag).

I always find it very difficult to concentrate on the book if there are a lot of social interactions going on around me.

message 19: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara - T - Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Jayne - J - Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1) by J.L. Bryan Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan
Bell - B - Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 3. My initials are V M L Z, so...

V - The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
M - Mossflower by Brian Jacques
L - A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Z - Zachary Zombie And The Lost Boy by John H. Carroll

message 21: by Victoria (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:06AM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 4. Most of the family prefers movies to books, but some of them read at least on a semi-regular basis. My Dad reads regularly though he's a slow reader so takes some time to get through a book. My hubby is a fast reader though he doesn't read a wide variety of books and tends to prefer to re-read favourites rather than trying new authors, and he'd sooner watch the movie than read the book if given the choice. My Grandma reads a fairr amount and a decent variety of books, and so does one of my brothers. My Mam used to read a lot, but these days has joined the "I'd rather watch the movie" crowd. None of them read as much as I do though.

message 22: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

My sister does, she's the one who really got me into reading and got me onto goodreads.. and because of her... I am here!

Also my mum reads now, not a lot but still reads! :)

message 23: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) 2nd day, do you like to read in a cafe or other social places?
Yes, I don't mind the background noise as long as it is not directed at me ^^.

3rd day, pick a book for each of your initials?
M - Matilda by Roald Dahl
J - Julius Caesar by Shakespeare (I couldn't come up with anything else x'D)
C - Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
C - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Yes, but not as often as they used to :(

message 24: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
Laurentine Spy, The by Emily Gee
Heidi by Joanna Spyri

4. 4th day, Do your relatives read books?

Some do, some don't. My grandmother and my father read quite a lot. The boyfriend prefers his computer screen to the pages of a book!

Including the huge textbooks that don't exist on Goodreads,112.

message 25: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 5. I've read 218 books so far this year, and am about two thirds of the way through book 219.

message 26: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

I have read 104 books on goodreads but I have read a few books on Wattpad which aren't on goodreads! :D

message 27: by Becky (last edited Sep 05, 2013 02:50PM) (new)

Becky (cookiecat) | 31 comments 2. 2nd day, do you like to read in a cafe or other social places? Not really! Peoples' voices can be quite distracting!

R - Ruby Parker: Soap Star by Rowan Coleman (The only one I could find with an R at the beginning on my read list)
J - Just friends by Robyn Sisman
C - Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Some do, some don't

5. 5th day, how many books have you read so far this year? according to goodreads I have read 140 :D

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 6. I'm not 100% sure which is the actual shortest, but the "Tales Of Wooffer's Woods" books by Betty Fasig are really short and I've read all of those this year.

message 29: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

His Want (By His Command, #1) by Ana Fawkes His Want by Ana Fawkes which was like.. 39 pages long.. -_-

message 30: by Becky (last edited Sep 06, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Becky (cookiecat) | 31 comments 6. 6th day, smallest book you have read so far this year? I think it was a book with 40 pages but I can't be too sure...

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 7. Soon after we were married, when we were still in Canada, I spilled an entire big cup of grape kool-aid all over one of hubby's roleplaying books. The book was an old one that couldn't be replaced. I still feel guilty about it ten years later!

message 32: by Lavender (new)

Lavender Brooke (LavenderBrooke) | 3 comments Day 7: I was once reading a book that was so bad I accidentally threw it out of the bus window.

message 33: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

I have ripped..a page or two... damaged the cover.. and maybe..smudged chocolate on pages.. oooops :/ All an accident.. I swear!

message 34: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod

Probably this short I've just read called Dust.

I accidentally dropped a book in the bath once. >.< Took it ages to dry out enough for me to be able to finish reading it!

8. 8th day, name an author and say what genre of book you would want them to do?

You mean other than what they normally write, I guess. I gave this quite a bit of thought and couldn't come up with anything. I'd like to see more sci-fi from Kate Johnson, though.

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 8. I can't really come up with anything. I'm a firm believer in the fact that most authors write better in one genre or another, so any I've enjoyed books by I'd prefer to keep writing more in the same genre the books I enjoyed reading were in.

message 36: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

I do not think Cassandra Clare has did a chick-lit book and I would love for her too as the romance in the books she has wrote has been so good! :D

message 37: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 9. I love any excuse to read and write, so the easiest way to answer this question is to say this: I'd be happy to do an essay about any of the books I enjoyed enough to give a 5 star rating to, and some of those I gave 4 stars to.

message 38: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

9. 9th day, a book you wouldn't mind doing an essay about?

Victoria same as me, As long as I loved and enjoyed the book I wouldn't mind doing an essay about it.

message 39: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

10. 10th day, a book you love and a book you hate?

I could list so many for books you love... but I will say.... Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Uglies by Scott Westerfeld for the book I love and ... I don't really hate..any books.. not really but.. the worst I think I have ever read is.. LIGHTMASTERS Number 13 by M.G. Wells LIGHTMASTERS: Number 13 by M.G. Wells.

message 40: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 10. The book I love is hard to decide as I love so many books, but I think I'll go with "Wolf Brother" by michelle Paver. As for the book I hate, I think I'll have to go with "The Casual Vacancy" by J. K. Rowling, which was a huge disappointment.

message 41: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 11. I read a book called "Sweet And Sour Pork" which was meant to be a new version of "The Three Little Pigs" so I figured since I enjoy fairy tales I'd most likely enjoy it, but it made no sense to me at all; I read it twice and was still confused after the second time.

message 42: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

11. 11th day, a book that confused you?

Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1) by Eden Maguire Dark Angel by Eden Maguire -_-

message 43: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 12. I thought I'd like "The Casual Vacancy" by J. K. Rowling. I mean, I love the Harry Potter books so much I constantly re-read them. But "The casual Vacancy" was rubbish! Some authors only write well in one genre, and - in my opinion - J. K. Rowling is one of those!

message 44: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

12. 12th day, a book that you thought would be good that turned out bad?

I don't "hate" any books.. but I really thought After Obsession by Carrie Jones After Obsession by Carrie Jones would be better than 3 stars.. but unfortunately I just couldn't rate it any higher than 3 :(

message 45: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

13. 13th day, Has a book affected your life?

Not 1 book in particular.. I think loads of books as a whole have made me see the good in life.. or the craziness of life.. and how my life is actually good compared to what could have been my life.

message 46: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 13. Most books do in some way.

14. One of my favourite book quotes is something Death says at the end of Terry Pratchett's "The Hogfather" (one of the Discworld novels). I may not have it completely word for word, and checking wording on an audiobook isn't easy, but the gist of the quote is: "In a universe so full of wonders, humans have invented boredom."

message 47: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

14. 14th day, A quote from any book?

"Some girls are more special than others" - Amy Meredith, The Hunt.

and also

"Is this the part where you say if I hurt her, you'll kill me?"
"No" Simon said, "If you hurt Clary she's quite capable of killing you herself. Possibly with a variety of weapons". - Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

message 48: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 15. Probably "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets" (Harry Potter, #2). It's the movie which most accurately represents the book it's based on out of all of the Harry Potter movies, and a good movie too. I actually do like all the Harry Potter movies as movies in their own right, but "Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets" is my favourite because of how well it captures the book compared to the others (especially the last few).

message 49: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

15. 15th day, favorite movie that was originally a book?
I will have to go with The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins as there was nothing wrong with it at all! I did enjoy "The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones" but "The Hunger Games" was definitely better portrayed as a movie.

16. 16th day, Ever hated someone for saying a book was bad?

No! I never do that! I may go like "NOOO WHY NOT!... oh well.... "

message 50: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 605 comments 16. No. Though I did get annoyed with someone for saying they hated a book when they hadn't even read it. Not because they hated it but because - as I said to them - it's not right to say you hate it before you even give it a chance. If someone reads something and hates it then that's fine, but if they haven't even tried it they can't really know how they feel about it.

« previous 1