What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Thalidomide scandal from pharmaceutical side

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken (goodreadscomkena) | 7 comments late 90's/early 2000 I read a great book on the thalidomide scandal. Where a female researcher working for the mfgr of the drug, discovered it was causing deformities. The CEO and upper management tried to hush her. She wouldn't back down, they tried to kill her. At the same time the CEO's daughter was taking the drug. This changed the story line drastically. Can anyone recall a book along these lines? Thanks

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Might be Strong Medicine.

Miracle drugs save lives and ease suffering, but for profit-motivated companies, the miracle is the money they generate...at any cost. Billions of dollars in profits will make men and women do many things--lie, cheat, even kill. now one beautiful woman will be caught in the cross fire between ethics and profits. As Celia Jordan's fast-track career sweeps her into the highest circles of an international drug company, she begins to discover the sins and secrets hidden in the research lab...and in the marketplace. Now the company's powerful new drug promises a breakthrough in treating a deadly disease. But Celia Jordan knows it may deliver a nightmare.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (goodreadscomkena) | 7 comments Dear Diana, thank you for your response. I have read Strong Medicine and thought is was the one. However, it is not about the Thalidomide is it? It has been so long since I have read it, I can't remember it exactly. I have read my review and that of others, and I can't get enough of a spoiler in the reviews to see if it is the book I was speaking of. If you know it involves the thalidomide drug, then please let me know. Again..thank you.

message 4: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Here's a Wikipedia article about a woman who sounds like who you're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_...

There are a ton of articles about her listed in the Google results on her name; there are probably books in there too.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (goodreadscomkena) | 7 comments Thank you for your research. What a remarkable women. I will go this direction to find the book.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Hi, Niorka, you should start a new post with your request in it so people will see it rather than attach it to this search.

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Ken wrote: "Dear Diana, thank you for your response. I have read Strong Medicine and thought is was the one. However, it is not about the Thalidomide is it? It has been so long since I have read it, I can't..."

There's a very detailed synopsis of the book here. It does mention Thalidomide, but it sounds like that drug is not the main one the book is about, and it doesn't mention the company trying to kill her.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Ken, are you still looking for this book?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.