Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's August

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments Unleashed: David Rosenfelt
If you are a dog lover, this is the series for you. Andy Carpenter is a lawyer who fell into wealth, and only lawyers when it suits him. Mostly, he takes care of dogs. When he does take a case, it is a whopper, with the books swinging back and forth between courtroom drama and thriller style action, all with a good sense of humor. (B+)

The Killing Game: Jack Kerley
Violent and bloody, in a good humored sort of way. Kerley alternates between putting you in the mind of Carson Ryder, the cop, and a psychopathic/sociopathic killer. The time spent with the killer hurts. (A)

The Highway: CJ Box
non series.
If Box has a specialty, it is flawed law people and their conflicts. The flaws are here is spades, along with some nasty bad guys, nasty good guys, and unexpected plot twists. (B+)

The Devil Colony: James Rollins
Reading this reminded me both why I like Rollins, and why I don’t. He writes well researched fiction with the smallest dash of the paranormal. His characters are mostly likable, and his enemies fierce. But the Sigma vs The Order has come to seem more like Control vs Kaos. (B)

Lucky Bastard: Charles McCarry
A real surprise for me. The book was a loaner, and the dust cover promised a political farce. The actual book was more along the lines of The Manchurian Candidate, updated to the fall of the Soviet Union just as the Candidate came to his position of power. As with all conspiracy stories, this had its weaknesses. Global geopolitics is just so complicated, but overall, it satisfied. (A-)

The Last Witness: WEB Griffin
...and his son. Books are not as good as the early ones by the father, but are slowly improving in quality. This series is police procedural set in Philly. The son has the procedural part down, but not the character interrelationships that really made these works worth reading. (B)

Odd Apocalypse: Dean Koontz
While I see these as Koontz’ best series, they still hide some laziness of rigor in the supernatural. Still, the style and humor is enough that I forgive the lack of rigor. (B)

Lonesome Animals: Bruce Holbert
One of a new crop of westerns focusing on the period when the old west was dying. Another spectacular example, other than not really being able to tell apart the good guys and the bad ones.

Blond Bombshell: Tom Holt
Purported to be from one of the funniest voices in comic fiction today, the book does have its moments, but Lisa Lutz he is not. A world of dogs has declared war on earth for enslaving their kind. More of a misunderstanding actually. (B)

Damage: John Lescroat
In this genre of mystery/fiction we have heroes, villains, and those too stupid to live. The cases are not mutually exclusive, I would put just about everybody in the book in the TSTL category, and wondered how the book would finally blunder to a conclusion. (B)

The Kingdom: ‘ Cussler’
A clive Cussler branded book in the Fargo series. As far as it goes, he keeps his co--authors to the formula he has used for all these years, so the perils of Pauline type motif still works. Here, the Fargos chase a mystery to mythical Shangra-La. (B)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I liked UNLEASHED, too!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Barry: I am really looking forward to reading The Killing Game. Thanks! I love your comment on the world of dogs... :) and agree, the humor in the Odd Thomas series keeps me coming back, without rushing in.

Barry wrote: "Blond Bombshell: Tom Holt
Purported to be from one of the funniest voices in comic fiction today, the book does have its moments, but Lisa Lutz he is not. A world of dogs has declared war on earth for enslaving their kind. More of a misunderstanding actually.> (B)"

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Solid month, Barry. I'll have to get Box's stand alone.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Ears perking up! Hmm a stand- alone is a good way to start with a new author who has a long running series! Thanks, I missed that on the first read of the list. Darn speed reading habit. ;) I first passed it by knowing I haven't gotten into the series yet.
Daniel wrote: "Solid month, Barry. I'll have to get Box's stand alone."

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments You're another one who was busy last month. I read a few in the Andy Carpenter series, don't know why I stopped.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Great month Barry! Thanks for reminding me I need to get back to Rosenfelt too! I'm only up to New Tricks :)