Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's August Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments 1. The Stingray Shuffle, Tim Dorsey. Follow the money - that's what Serge does. Antique trains, 5 women, $$$ blowin' in the wind and 100 monkeys round out this installment. 4

2. Shadow woman, Thomas Perry. From Vegas glitz to Glacier ice, Jane carries the day. Early retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be. 4

3. The Kingmaker, Brian Haig. Treason centered in Korea sets the scene for rematch with top army prosecutor. Don't ask, don't tell. 4Minus

4. A Serpent's Tooth, Craig Johnson. A found boy, a 200 year old man, a cult and a plot all come together nicely. 4Plus

5. Act of Treason, Vince Flynn. Never trust a politician, and Mitch's way of solving problems is spreading. 4

6. NOS4A2, Joe Hill. Not my type of book, but I liked some of the characters. He writes a good story, but 2LONG4ME. 4Minus

7. The English Girl, Daniel Silva. Two part plot connected by the girl spans Corsica, England and Russia before Gabriel can get things under control. KGB has NOT left the building. 4Plus

8. Trader of Secrets, Steve Martini. Far fetched plot leads suspect crew on unlikely adventure. Leave the lawyers in the court room. 3Plus

9. The Last Kind Word, David Housewright. Mac goes undercover for ATF and meets the Beverly Hillbillies of Minnesota. Entertaining, but if Housewright had used the phrase "my inner voice" one more time, I would have sent him a letter bomb. 4Minus

10. Downfall, Jeff Abbott. Secret societies abound, half the assassins are women, and Sam continues to kill while his son smiles, gurgles and crawls ad nauseum. 4Minus

11. Detective Kubu Investigates, Michael Stanley. Short story compilation featuring Kubu that mainly looks at witch doctors' continuing influence in modern Botswana. 4

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Good month, Daniel!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Good Month, Dan! I thought I was going to get to a Tim Dorsey book this past month, but the stars didn't align with the rest of my library tbr pile. Someday!
Sorry you didn't like NOS4A2. A Serpent's Tooth sounds good, haven't tried Longmire yet.
Daniel wrote: "4. A Serpent's Tooth, Craig Johnson. A found boy, a 200 year old man, a cult and a plot all come together nicely. 4Plus"

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I've got a couple of Longmire books and need to get them read. Love the TV show!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments Boy, you had a busy month, Dan! You are outpacing me on the Jane Whitfields, I'm afraid I will have to return Shadow Woman unread as it is overdue.

A friend keeps encouraging me to read Daniel Silva, I really need to get started.

Too bad you didn't take to the Joe Hill, also have that on my TBR. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in the "novel length" category...