Literary Horror discussion

Robert Aickman
This topic is about Robert Aickman
Authors > Robert Aickman

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) I hope you don't mind me providing a link to the group page for anybody who might be curious.

message 2: by James (new)

James Everington | 55 comments Aickman is one of my favourite writers & a huge influence - and I can heartily recommend Simon's Group too.

message 3: by Canavan (last edited Nov 26, 2013 11:21AM) (new)

Canavan | 0 comments Randolph asked:

How long has this been in the catalog? I usually get pretty regular updates from Tartarus. Like I said, my memory is going I guess.

E-mail notices just went out today.

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 361 comments Randolph wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Randolph wrote: How long has this been in the catalog? I usually get pretty regular updates from Tartarus. Like I said, my memory is goi..."

I got the post from FB,..."

Well... at least it makes for a great surprise when something arrives in the mail... ; )

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 361 comments Randolph wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Randolph wrote: How long has this been in the catalog? I usually get pretty regular updates from Tartarus. Like I said, my memory i..."

Ooh... let me know if this is worth getting from CP. What extras did they include? I am tempted to get this one, even though I have been hunting for the AH edition.

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 361 comments Randolph wrote: "I'll see what it has. Presumably they have not exhumed Ms. Walton to sign it."

That would be a bit ghoulish of Jerad to do such a thing... ; )

message 7: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments The first issue of Gary William Crawford's on-line journal, Aickman Studies, is available to be perused here. The issue includes articles by Mark Valentine, Rebekah Brown, and Anthony Fonseca.

message 8: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments I managed to miss this when the news broke, but I learned over the weekend that Elizabeth Jane Howard died at 90 on 2 January. Howard is probably best know for her mainstream work such as The Beautiful Visit (1950). But for ghost story afficiandos, she will also be fondly remembered for We Are for the Dark (1950), a collection of six strange stories, half authored by Howard and the other half by Robert Aickman. Perhaps the best of the Howard stories is "Three Miles Up".

message 9: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 0 comments Randolph wrote:

For many years people thought Three Miles Up was an Aickman story because it takes place on the Inland Waterways (the original publication did not reveal the author of each story. Aickman and Howard preferred to refer to the book as a collaboration.)

Echoing your observation, Randolph, I vaguely recall Aickman (or was it Howard?) noting that early attempts to guess which author wrote which story were almost always completely off the mark.