Literary Horror discussion

Algernon Blackwood
This topic is about Algernon Blackwood
Authors > Algernon Blackwood

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments A thread for Blackwood. If anyone has a good Blackwood site link please add it.

message 2: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Of all the horror writers, I imagine Blackwood was the nicest, as a person. His writing is much more optimistic and his awe shines brighter, that stands in contrast to most cosmic horror views, which are usually dark and nihilistic. He also had a kind face, and I imagine he smiled a lot.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) I love Algernon Blackwood. He has such a consistently high quality in his stories. One of those authors you could probably pick up any collection of and find plenty of interest.

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) | 16 comments Another fan of Algernon Blackwood here.

I've been familiar with his 'Best of' and commonly anthologised stories for years. But it's only now that I'm exploring some of his lesser known original story collections and novels that I'm getting a fuller appreciation. I'm extremly impressed and often blown away by his writing.

message 5: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments He had quite a range actually and some of his lesser known very good stuff gets ignored because The Wendigo and The Willows are so iconic everyone thinks, oh now I've read Algernon Blackwood.

message 6: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I like The Little Beggar.
‘You little beggar!’ said the man

message 7: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I also think 'Entrance and Exit' is brilliant.

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) i like him, too but i think I've only read the wendigo and the willows. i should fix that!

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 71 comments I just made a post on him in the Horror Afficionados and Classic Horro Lovers group. He fairs quite well and has several notable works. He's also known for being one of the best Ghost Story writers in the genre. H.P Lovecraft was inspired by him, so he's got to be pretty good!

message 10: by Dan (last edited Oct 27, 2017 04:24AM) (new)

Dan | 329 comments I was amazed to see how many Algernon Blackwood stories are available to be read for free just from the Gutenberg site alone.

You have the six John Silence stories:

Psychical Invasion, A
Ancient Sorceries
Nemesis of Fire, The
Secret Worship
Camp of the Dog, The
Victim of Higher Space, A

The two most famous stories (already mentioned):

Wendigo, The
Willows, The

And on top of that, all these works to choose from!

“Vengeance is Mine”
Bit of Wood, A
Bright Messenger, The
By Water
Cain’s Atonement
Call, The
Case of Eavesdropping, A
Centaur, The
Chinese Magic
Confession
Damned, The
Decoy, The
Descent into Egypt, A
Desert Episode, A
Egyptian Hornet, An
Egyptian Sorcery
Empty House, The
Empty Sleeve, The
Extra Day, The
First Hate
Garden of Survival, The
Glamour of the Snow, The
H. S. H.
Haunted Island, A
Human Chord, The
Initiation
Insanity of Jones, The
Jimbo: A Fantasy
Julius LeVallon: An Episode
Keeping His Promise
Lane that Ran East and West, The
Listener, The
Man Who Found Out, The
Man Whom the Trees Loved, The
May Day Eve
Occupant of the Room, The
Olive, The
Other Wing, The
Prisoner in Fairyland (The Book That 'Uncle Paul' Wrote), A
Promise of Air, The
Regeneration of Lord Ernie, The
Return, The
Running Wolf
Sacrifice, The
Sand
Second Generation, The
Skeleton Lake: An Episode in Camp
Smith: An Episode in a Lodging-House
Strange Adventures of a Private Secretary in New York, The
Suspicious Gift, A
Tarn of Sacrifice, The
The Wolves of God
Touch of Pan, The
Tradition
Transition
Tryst, The
Valley of the Beasts, The
Victim of Higher Space, A
Wave: An Egyptian Aftermath, The
Wayfarers
Wings of Horus, The
Wireless Confusion
With Intent to Steal
Wood of the Dead, The

Of all of these, the one that looks most interesting to me, judging by title alone, is “Cain’s Atonement.” I also have to read “The Wendigo”. I’ve been interested in this creature ever since a kid with his tenth-year birthday money picking up a Hulk 180 from the K-Mart rack. (Would that I had kept it!) What was Blackwood’s take on the wendigo?

Has anyone read all, most, or many of these?

message 11: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments The Willows might be one of the greatest horror stories ever.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott I have a vague memory of reading one of his stories in The Twilight Zone Magazine many years back but I'm not even sure what it was and otherwise this is clearly an egregious oversight in my classic horror reading so I have added the current Penguin Classics collection to my shopping cart for my next order. Looking forward to reading it...

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve O'rourke | 47 comments What Randolph said about The Willows.

Blackwood didn't use the standard Native American model: 7'+ tall, grotesque features, and cannibalistic - which is how they became Wendigos; and they're eternally hungry.

message 14: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments All of Blackwood's stories should be in the public domain and numerous free ebooks and audiobooks are available. However, I enjoy Blackwood best in the paper and ink form.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments There is a cheap Delphi edition on Kindle that contains almost all of his fiction. Would take one a couple of years to go trough it.

As far as I go, I rather like some of his later fiction, like the novellas in Pan's Garden and Incredible Adventures. They tend to be slow-paced, contemplative tales of Nature and mysticism, so their appeal to horror readers is kinda limited. One of a kind stuff, tho.
I have a soft spot for his novels, too, but I can understand why they mostly go unread. Jimbo, at least, is worthy of wider readership. Think Blackwood taking on George MacDonald, more akin to MacDonald's darker, weirder adult novels than it is to his earlier stuff (in spite of its young protagonist).
Oh, and Librivox reading of it is really great
https://librivox.org/jimbo-by-algerno...

message 16: by Dan (last edited Oct 29, 2017 07:50PM) (new)

Dan | 329 comments I'm impressed that you have read him so widely and are so familiar with Blackwood that you can discuss his range intelligently. Thank you for sharing your insights.

I had thought he was purely a short story writer, but was surprised to find some of those titles available on Gutenberg (that I added into the list indiscriminately) were novels, not to mention the play! I plan to read more Blackwood soon, maybe starting with that play.